• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

GPS problems two days before departure

peregrina2000

Staff member
Here I go again, starting to get ready for my once yearly use of the Garmin Dakota. I know most people have discarded them in favor of the phone and maps.me, but that's a different issue. Maybe next year...

I am certain that I have downloaded my Mozarabe tracks onto the memory card, because the computer shows that they are all there when I connect the garmin to the computer.

But when I disconnect the device and try to find the tracks, they don't show up. If anyone is still familiar with this device, I go to track manager and expect to see the downloaded tracks, but no!

I am very hopeful that this has something to do with my technological ineptitude, but I am also going to keep trying. Many thanks, with fingers crossed. Buen camino, Laurie
Screenshot 2018-04-09 09.55.45.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am having similar problems trying to get the right gps tracks onto my smartphone. Wikilocs tells me to point my phone at the QR code, but I can't find a QR code. It is supposed to be there if I have logged in (I have).

I have no Garmin Dakota and cannot help there.

I am having similar problems trying to get the right gps tracks onto my smartphone. Wikilocs tells me to point my phone at the QR code, but I can't find a QR code. It is supposed to be there if I have logged in (I have).

This is an example for an Wikiloc-Camino-Frances-track:
https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trai...svalles-santiago-de-compostela-gr-65-14369933

Computer:
If I click on the green "download" button in the upper right corner it tells me "Please log in to get the QR code for this trail" or shows the qrcode on this page [if I choose iphone/android in the tabs; tab File / Google Earth / Garmin is without qrcode]
https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/download.do?id=14369933

Smartphone:
On my smartphone (android) I can go with the normal browser to wikiloc.com, log in, search for the track, download it (as "file"). If I select the downloaded gpx-file in the browser-downloads afterwards, I can select the app that should import it (OsmAnd [OpenStreetMap-Android] for me).

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks! I’ll try it once I’m back in front of the computer.

Laurie, I can’t help with the GPS either, but if anyone in your group is using a smartphone, I highly recommend the combination of putting Wikiloc tracks on the Gaia GPS app, especially for more remote routes where you may need an alternative due to high water. Gaia has the IGN Spain topo as a free layer. It is downloadable for offline use. Yesterday, for example, when we reached the Río Almarchal and could not cross, we found another dirt track on Gaia that we could use to avoid the river crossing. Amazing to be able to do that out in the middle of nowhere. www.gaiagps.com
Bon voyage!
Elaine
http://hiking.topicwise.com/doc/GenalValley

Laurie, I can’t help with the GPS either, but if anyone in your group is using a smartphone, I highly recommend the combination of putting Wikiloc tracks on the Gaia GPS app, especially for more remote routes where you may need an alternative due to high water. Gaia has the IGN Spain topo as a free layer. It is downloadable for offline use. Yesterday, for example, when we reached the Río Almarchal and could not cross, we found another dirt track on Gaia that we could use to avoid the river crossing. Amazing to be able to do that out in the middle of nowhere. www.gaiagps.com
Bon voyage!
Elaine
http://hiking.topicwise.com/doc/GenalValley
sorry, everyone, I hate to be ancient but with myself don't have these problems. This year will be my 10th Camino and never have relied on technology I walk and throw my caution to the wind whatever comes along comes along. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Don't stress.. its a Camino test!! Seriously, though, are your tracks in the .gpx form? Are there other tracks on your device that may be "clogging" the memory? Are your tracks containing more than the maximum number of points allowed? (This was a problem for me when I was converting .kml tracks to .gpx for the camino Levante -I went round and round, until I realized to limit each stage to 500 points.) http://www.gpsvisualizer.com Then I tried to put both the tracks for the Levante AND the Portugues on my Magellan 310 and I couldn't load them all. - not enough space.

I know many feel that this technology for the Camino is not really necessary, but as long as you already have the device, it is probably smart to have your route loaded in case of a disaster, or just as a reassurance. I may have only consulted my 310 a half a dozen times on my 50 day VdlP last year, but one time saved us from a mistake which could have necessitated major backtrack (up hill no less!) and the fact that I carried it with me was a reassurance to my non-Pilgrim husband at home...
Buen Camino!

Oh boy, Laurie, you're way out of my techno league. When I go next year, I'm relying on arrows...gulp!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here I go again, starting to get ready for my once yearly use of the Garmin Dakota. I know most people have discarded them in favor of the phone and maps.me, but that's a different issue. Maybe next year...

I am certain that I have downloaded my Mozarabe tracks onto the memory card, because the computer shows that they are all there when I connect the garmin to the computer.

But when I disconnect the device and try to find the tracks, they don't show up. If anyone is still familiar with this device, I go to track manager and expect to see the downloaded tracks, but no!

I am very hopeful that this has something to do with my technological ineptitude, but I am also going to keep trying. Many thanks, with fingers crossed. Buen camino, Laurie
View attachment 41049
Why not just download Map my Run and be done? I have used it for two Caminos, it doesn't use my data, and always lasts for the entire day. Some days are 20 mile, 7 hour days.

I appreciate the helpfulness of everyone. I don't know how, but a highly skilled friend of mine did a few things, and presto the tracks appeared. I am relieved.

And I would also like to say that I think it's really great that there are people who like to walk and just rely on the arrows. I do that myself, when I walk the Norte, Primitivo, Vdlp, Invierno, or any well-marked camino. But I would have been really foolish to set out on the Ebro, the Olvidado, the Castellano-Aragonés or some of these other remote caminos without my GPS. These routes have long stretches with no towns, no pilgrims, no nothing. Like @drvnsmiln I keep it put away unless I am in a pinch, but there have been a number of times when I really would have been up a creek without it. Everyone should do what they want, but the judgment isn't very helpful.

Buen camino to all, I leave tomorrow for Almería, and will be meeting up with forum members for a pre-Mozárabe encounter on Friday. Cannot wait!!!! Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you type "Oziexplorer", into the forum search bar (top right) you will be shown my posts on this android app, plus any others. It helps that the Androis S5 I run, can take a 125 Gig SD card, I have the Geograpihically "live" 1:50,000 maps for Primitivo, Finisterre and all my Australian routes on the card. Maps available from the Spanish Mapping Authority Site. (http://www.ign.es/web/ign/portal)

I appreciate the helpfulness of everyone. I don't know how, but a highly skilled friend of mine did a few things, and presto the tracks appeared. I am relieved.

And I would also like to say that I think it's really great that there are people who like to walk and just rely on the arrows. I do that myself, when I walk the Norte, Primitivo, Vdlp, Invierno, or any well-marked camino. But I would have been really foolish to set out on the Ebro, the Olvidado, the Castellano-Aragonés or some of these other remote caminos without my GPS. These routes have long stretches with no towns, no pilgrims, no nothing. Like @drvnsmiln I keep it put away unless I am in a pinch, but there have been a number of times when I really would have been up a creek without it. Everyone should do what they want, but the judgment isn't very helpful.

Buen camino to all, I leave tomorrow for Almería, and will be meeting up with forum members for a pre-Mozárabe encounter on Friday. Cannot wait!!!! Laurie

I entirely agree! I wonder which caminos where walked by those who look down their noses at those who use GPS. If you do not have great reserves of energy (because you are old as I was on the Camino de Torres last year) or time to add to your camino when you are lost because there are no arrows, the GPS is essential.

And anyway Laurie asked a straight question. If you cannot give a straight answer, or a helpful suggestion or at least encouragement, you should start a new thread with a discussion about the use of GPS on a camino.

Question to Nathanael: which ones were the 10 caminos you walked?

Have I perhaps transgressed on the Camino Rules? If so, I am sorry.

Preparing to walk the Olvidado with GPS next year if I can establish there are enough accommodation to walk relatively short stages - at 79. But that is another thread.

Buen Camino, Laurie!
Ina

Oh Laurie you make me feel so sad. How I wish I could be part of the group. I am sure it will be a more pleasant trip than I had walking it alone two years ago. Mind you I don't envy you the weather! It was bad enough in May.
Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I entirely agree! I wonder which caminos where walked by those who look down their noses at those who use GPS. If you do not have great reserves of energy (because you are old as I was on the Camino de Torres last year) or time to add to your camino when you are lost because there are no arrows, the GPS is essential.

And anyway Laurie asked a straight question. If you cannot give a straight answer, or a helpful suggestion or at least encouragement, you should start a new thread with a discussion about the use of GPS on a camino.

Question to Nathanael: which ones were the 10 caminos you walked?

Have I perhaps transgressed on the Camino Rules? If so, I am sorry.

Preparing to walk the Olvidado with GPS next year if I can establish there are enough accommodation to walk relatively short stages - at 79. But that is another thread.

Buen Camino, Laurie!
Ina

Hi, Ina,
Ender is hopeful that there will be even more accommodations available on the Olvidado, so fingers crossed. Happy to help you plan next year! (And I assume you have seen Ender's GPS tracks, which I have posted in the Resources section).

Oh Laurie you make me feel so sad. How I wish I could be part of the group. I am sure it will be a more pleasant trip than I had walking it alone two years ago. Mind you I don't envy you the weather! It was bad enough in May.
Buen Camino

Hi, Al,
We would have loved to have you along, as well. I remember your aborted May Mozárabe. We are looking at a lot of rain, but are hoping it will taper off relatively soon.

We have already heard that @ortemio and @C Clarely have met up at the Madrid airport. Another has made it to Málaga. I am leaving in about 7 hours. We will be sure to post pictures from our Friday night meet-up!

Enjoy your trip.

This thread is a reminder to check your tech thoroughly before setting out. I'm checking mine now.

Hi, Laurie!
Thank you for your offer to help with my Olvidado planning. Will come back to you on the Olvidado thread when the serious planning begins after this summer and this year’s Portugues with children and grandchildren - eight of us!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As it's a Garmin do you not use their BaseCamp software as an interface?

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.