• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

GPS Questions yet again

peregrina2000

Staff member
I am loading the Olvidado tracks for my upcoming walk, and I always try to compare what's out there. Well, as I was looking for tracks for the new mountain stage from Boñar to Vegacervera, I saw two that looked pretty identical. One was posted by Ender, one by Ray y Rosa, but to me they look the same. Yet total elevation gain is very different:

685 m elevation gain -- https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/etapa-13b-camino-olvidado-bonar-vegacervera-24882201

1058 m elevation gain -- https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/etapa-13-b-bonar-vegacervera-camino-olvidado-15178298

I am not looking for precision, but that is quite a difference, almost 400 m. Not that it really matters, since I assume that no matter which one I download, I will have to walk the same ups and downs. :) But 1085 m is more like a SJPP to Roncesvalles day, whereas 685 is more like a Pola de Allande to a Puerto de Palo day.

Just curious if anyone knows what could explain it, especially since they look to be the exact same tracks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Elevation is the least accurate of the dimensions measured by a GPS, but I doubt that alone would explain the differences you are seeing.

If you are a Google Earth user, you could import both tracks and compare the elevation gain for each. Google Earth uses a different algorithm for these calculations, and uses seperate elevation data, not the elevation data stored in the .gpx file. If the tracks are sufficiently similar, the elevation gains should be as well, although that could be a different result again from the two you already have😊.

I would have a crack at this myself, but I am travelling, and don't have access to Google Earth right now.

Hi, Laurie. . .

In comparing both, they are differing elevation profiles. I do not know why one is different from the other, but there is enough difference to explain the discrepancy.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It may be that one track recorded the elevation and the other did not but used a tool to insert the elevation into the track. This might be from satellites using radar.

For kicks use the profile tool at gpsvisualizer.com and tell it to get the elevations for the track from someplace other than the track.

There seems to be a glitch with the first one (rayyrosa). When I imported it into Google Earth it looked like this:

whereas the second one (enderjace) looks like this

I downloaded it again to be sure and got the same results. I then tried importing it into Garmin BaseCamp and got the same results.

GPS problem? Or maybe it's me ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What an interesting puzzle. The idea dougfitz mentions that "Elevation is the least accurate of the dimensions measured by a GPS," fits with what happened to us on our last trip to Spain. We got some wildly inaccurate elevation profiles for Wikiloc tracks we recorded when we were walking in deep canyons - things like lines falling off at 90 degree angles, etc. I'm guessing the satellites can't get a read on accurate elevations when the walker's exact perch on a mountainside is obscured by the steepness of the gorge. The wikiloc summary figures for elevation gain and loss for those days were way off also.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There seems to be a glitch with the first one (rayyrosa). When I imported it into Google Earth it looked like this:

View attachment 53261

whereas the second one (enderjace) looks like this

View attachment 53262

I downloaded it again to be sure and got the same results. I then tried importing it into Garmin BaseCamp and got the same results.

View attachment 53263

GPS problem? Or maybe it's me ;)
Laurie, If there are rogue values in the .gpx file, these can be removed using the standard Garmin desktop tools. I cannot remember which one you use, but both can do it.

What an interesting puzzle. The idea dougfitz mentions that "Elevation is the least accurate of the dimensions measured by a GPS," fits with what happened to us on our last trip to Spain. We got some wildly inaccurate elevation profiles for Wikiloc tracks we recorded when we were walking in deep canyons - things like lines falling off at 90 degree angles, etc. I'm guessing the satellites can't get a read on accurate elevations when the walker's exact perch on a mountainside is obscured by the steepness of the gorge. The wikiloc summary figures for elevation gain and loss for those days were way off also.
There's some chat about elevation on the Wikiloc forum HERE - if you understand it you're better than me!

What I can make up of all the explanations and comparisons is that you can not trust Wikilocs to be accurate in elevation.
Last example shows two almost identical and the one from Wikilocs...not correct.
Measuring with a cellphone GPS is not as correct as real GPS equipment.
You need to measure with different equipment at the same moment because GPS satellites are moving all the time.
Buen Camino 😉

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What I can make up of all the explanations and comparisons is that you can not trust Wikilocs to be accurate in elevation.
Last example shows two almost identical and the one from Wikilocs...not correct.
Measuring with a cellphone GPS is not as correct as real GPS equipment.
You need to measure with different equipment at the same moment because GPS satellites are moving all the time.
Buen Camino 😉
You need a signal from 4 satellites to get a 3D fix - if you're in a mountainous or hilly region (which this track is) the GPSr will not be as accurate as say on the Mesata - but then, on the Mesata, who cares? ;)

There's some chat about elevation on the Wikiloc forum HERE - if you understand it you're better than me!
Jeff, thanks for the link to that discussion. Very interesting! Also, your comment about needing 4 satellites to get a 3-D fix explains why our track in the photo below (in the yellow circle) has us starting at 55 meters below sea level and ascending straight up more than a thousand meters! We were in the depths of the Poqueria Gorge and our GPS must have been "hidden" to satellites that were not directly overheard. I've been puzzling over that for awhile and am glad to have an answer.Wikiloc.jpg

Jeff, thanks for the link to that discussion. Very interesting! Also, your comment about needing 4 satellites to get a 3-D fix explains why our track in the photo below (in the yellow circle) has us starting at 55 meters below sea level and ascending straight up more than a thousand meters! We were in the depths of the Poqueria Gorge and our GPS must have been "hidden" to satellites that were not directly overheard. I've been puzzling over that for awhile and am glad to have an answer.View attachment 53329
Rocket man! 🚀

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.