• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

GPS vs. phone vs. camera

peregrina2000

Staff member
I never imagined that I would ever put the words "gps" and "camino" into the same sentence. In fact, I'm sure I've never read a word of any of the posts in this section of the forum. I've walked several remote solitary caminos (with only one major incident getting lost, tumbling through the overgrowth, and finally following the overhead electric transmission line), but the Camino Olvidado appears to be the trigger for that word combination.

On the Spanish forum, people have strongly recommended that I get one for the Camino Olvidado. So I am going to take the plunge. Susanna has promised to show me how to use it, or better yet, to just go ahead and use it herself as we slog along looking for the arrows and the mountain trails.

Are there any gps experts out there who can confirm that the Garmin Dakota 20 is the way to go? And is the price on Amazon ($179) a good price or should I hunt around?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002G1YPIO/?tag=casaivar02-20

And finally, the question of Spanish maps. On the Spanish forum, people have recommended to me that there are excellent quality terrain maps of Spain that can be downloaded, legally and for free.

http://www.aristasur.com/contenido/descarga-mapa-topohispania-sinrenkor-actualizado

http://www.elgps.com/foroGPS/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8646

I can translate the instructions, but I don't understand a word - luckily I have a tech friend here who will do the installation if I do the translation.

This is kind of a quantum leap, and I'd appreciate any reverberations or advice. My plan is to use it as a Christmas present for my daughter and son-in-law who routinely walk remote trails in the US.

Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Dakota 20 is a great way to go. It is a tough weatherproof unit, good on batteries and can be seen in direct sun. For hiking an iphone app is pretty good, but the garmin can be mounted on my bike handlebars in full exposure to the weather

I did manage to trash the screen in mine recently and picked up two very nearly new units on ebay for about $100 each. Looking at the disks, they had only been turned on a few times. I think many people buy these things and never use them.

For maps I go download from gpsfiledepot.com or buy a Garmin sd card on ioffer.com. I'm not sure everything sold there is legal but they work better than the genuine Garmin cards. The garmin city navigator sd card has all sorts of tiny dirt roads on the map, as well as wealth of offline info on lodging restaurants etc.

Last edited:
The Dakota 20 is a great way to go. It is a tough weatherproof unit, good on batteries and can be seen in direct sun. For hiking an iphone app is pretty good, but the garmin can be mounted on my bike handlebars in full exposure to the weather

I did manage to trash the screen in mine recently and picked up two very nearly new units on ebay for about $100 each. Looking at the disks, they had only been turned on a few times. I think many people but these things and never use them.

For maps I go download from gpsfiledepot.com or buy a Garmin sd card on ioffer.com. I'm not sure everything sold there is legal but they work better than the genuine Garmin cards. The garmin city navigator sd card has all sorts of tiny dirt roads on the map, as well as wealth of offline info on lodging restaurants etc.

Thanks newfydog. :)
We also like to make a GPS track of the route which we can put here on the forum when we come back.
I will have to figure out how to do that before I get to Bilbao, where Laurie and the Dakota 20 will be waiting for me. I've never used one of these before. I watched a few videos on YouTube so far.
Does it take a lot of practising to use this thing or is it realistic to read the manual (sort of) and then start walking with it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can easily record your track every day and then save it. Getting all those tracks off the unit and joining them up takes some software knowledge, but there is plenty of room to store the daily tracks and it is not too complicated.

I would want some sort of a track in the GPS before starting---is there something on google earth or overlain on a map?

I did manage to trash the screen in mine recently and picked up two very nearly new units on ebay for about $100 each. Looking at the disks, they had only been turned on a few times. I think many people buy these things and never use them.

So, newfydog, would you take a chance with something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Dako...4?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item25889a6376#shpCntId

Or would a "manufacturer refurbished" model be less risky? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Dako...d=100005&prg=8934&rk=4&rkt=4&sd=161205609334&

Last edited:
I've found the units to be bombproof, but the software can crash, and you might need customer service to get that reloaded. The refurbished one would be worth the warranty.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On the Spanish forum, people have strongly recommended that I get one for the Camino Olvidado.

You really don't need it. I walked the Camino Olvidado from Bilbao to Cistierna last year without GPS. I had intended walking to Villafranca but changed my mind and turned left to Gradafes and Puente Villarente (where I had a close encounter of the chinche kind.

You really don't need it. I walked the Camino Olvidado from Bilbao to Cistierna last year without GPS. I had intended walking to Villafranca but changed my mind and turned left to Gradafes and Puente Villarente (where I had a close encounter of the chinche kind.

Wow, AJ, would you mind posting your stages and where you stayed? We are really finding it hard to find accommodation that spaces out well. Any general impressions or tips?

I think the concern on the Spanish forum is for some of the more remote parts between Pandorado and Colina de Campos, which if memory serves is after Cistierna. But in any event, I appreciate the advice. Tell me more about the Olvidado!!!!

Laurie
When are you starting ? Do you have an update here on your recent "gear", smart phone? ipad, camera etc? love to know ...Buen Camino.

Hi, Una, We are starting in mid-late June from Bilbao. We will probably be on the Olvidado for 18 days, at least that's what the Spanish blog tells us. Then about 10 days from Ponferrada on the invierno.

I am really a low tech person but I seem to be becoming a high tech peregrina. Last year I bought an iphone just so I could skype with my parents (both 90) because my mom had had a health scare. I decided that for me,the ipad would be too big and too much of a pain to look after. But I know some like it on the camino.

This year I am going to buy a gps based on several very strong recommendations on the Spanish forum about the Camino Olvidado. This is pretty hilarious, actually, but I am assuming Susanna will be able to figure it out. I'll get the maps downloaded and hope she can deal with the rest. In terms of gear, I did buy a Ferrino trekker. It seems pretty nice, so I'll test it this year and report back. I am one of those obstinate pilgrims who continues to insist on having a real camera. With a lot of help from the forum, I got a little Canon powershot SX260 (I think) and I really love it. Very small and lightweight and takes great pictures.

One thing I will never change -- on my first camino in 2000, my son gave me a north face fleece that he had outgrown. I have worn it on every camino since. It's my good luck charm. Remind me what your next camino is, Una. Any chance we'll overlap in Santiago? I am going to be there for the cathedral extravaganza on July 24. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last year I bought an iphone
This year I am going to buy a gps based on several very strong recommendations on the Spanish forum about the Camino Olvidado

If you have an iphone, why a second GPS unit? Just curious.

Laurie
When are you starting ? Do you have an update here on your recent "gear", smart phone? ipad, camera etc? love to know ...Buen Camino.
Hi Laurie
I looked up your model of camera and read "The Canon SX260 HS also offers built-in GPS with included Map Utility software and GPS logger function". Have you used the GPS etc functionality and if so what do you think of it?
Thanks
Mary

If you have an iphone, why a second GPS unit? Just curious.
Hi Laurie
I looked up your model of camera and read "The Canon SX260 HS also offers built-in GPS with included Map Utility software and GPS logger function". Have you used the GPS etc functionality and if so what do you think of it?
Thanks
Mary

Well, you can see that I am really the village idiot when it comes to technology. I had no idea about gps on either device. Thank you both for your comments, and I will get some help here from friends who are, thankfully, much more proficient in all of this. Thanks! Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
All smart phones have some kind of GPS (that's why the industry name for them is "trackers"; smartphone is a marketing term). You'll find a lot of GPS apps for the iphone, which will have a lot more features than the P&S version of the canon GPS utility.

I've never used GPS on the Camino and like Laurie, am technologically challenged. I'm not sure why a person would even need it???

All smart phones have some kind of GPS (that's why the industry name for them is "trackers"; smartphone is a marketing term). You'll find a lot of GPS apps for the iphone, which will have a lot more features than the P&S version of the canon GPS utility.
I've never used GPS on the Camino and like Laurie, am technologically challenged. I'm not sure why a person would even need it???

Several people on the Spanish forum have suggested that there are some stages on the Camino Olvidado that are not well marked and are very remote and mountainous, sort of like the Salvador before Ender came to the rescue. They have strongly recommended that Susanna and I not walk without one.

And with regard to the GPS on the smartphone, they also tell me that it eats up the phone battery, that it will require a data plan (I don't use the iphone for data or as a telephone on the camino, just to skype via wifi with my family, kind of extravagant perhaps but my 89 year old mom had some big health issues last summer so I bought it), and that there will be places on this route where we wouldn't get connection anyway. To tell the truth I don't really understand it, but I am taking people at their word and think a separate gps is the way to go. I will then give it to my daughter and her husband for their many wild wilderness treks in the US.

Sorry to have derailed my very own thread whose main point was to celebrate the rising status of the lovely Camino de Invierno! Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And with regard to the GPS on the smartphone, they also tell me that it eats up the phone battery, that it will require a data plan (I don't use the iphone for data or as a telephone on the camino,…. and that there will be places on this route where we wouldn't get connection anyway. Laurie

You do not need a data plan to use GPS. It has its own antenna and connections and has nothing to do with data at all. If you won't get a connection on your iphone (which is possible), I'm curious as to why you think you'd get one on a Garmin or whatever?

You might want to look at this thread in the Le Puy forum. Although it's more about IGN maps, the general procedure would be the same with other GPS coordinates:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...required-for-iphone-5s-electronic-maps.23676/

I'm a complete digital immigrant and I don't even have an iphone or a smartphone so all you digital natives please bear with my ignorance. In NZ I've found that there are huge gaps in cellphone coverage when in the mountains - usually in the more remote bits and in forested valleys - and so I'm mistrustful of anything that relies on satellites. If a GPS has the same problem (and I wouldn't know) then maybe the old map and compass is still the way to go. Although, the tricky bit I've always had with map and compass in thick mist/low visibility and undulating terrain with unclear landmarks, is working out how far I've come based on how fast I'm really going. The tempting bit of a GPS for me is if it can tell me within 2m where I am!
Mary

You do not need a data plan to use GPS.

Actually, I should clarify that. The phone doesn't need a data plan for GPS, but most apps use data to display the coordinates on a map. There are some, like Tom Tom, that don't. They are usually more expensive up front.

Sorry for any confusion.

EDIT But if you look at Newfydog's posts in the thread I linked, that's another way around it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm a complete digital immigrant and I don't even have an iphone or a smartphone so all you digital natives please bear with my ignorance. In NZ I've found that there are huge gaps in cellphone coverage when in the mountains - usually in the more remote bits and in forested valleys - and so I'm mistrustful of anything that relies on satellites. If a GPS has the same problem (and I wouldn't know) then maybe the old map and compass is still the way to go. Although, the tricky bit I've always had with map and compass in thick mist/low visibility and undulating terrain with unclear landmarks, is working out how far I've come based on how fast I'm really going. The tempting bit of a GPS for me is if it can tell me within 2m where I am!
Mary
I am with the ladies who "don't know much" when it comes to tech. But, one pilgrim wrote that she used a pedometer to track her distances, etc. to figure out how much further she had to go to "x". Could you add this to your compass/map usage? Just a thought (and CHEAP).
Stefania

Laurie
If I get to start in Seville end of April I will finish mid-June (ish). A lot of ifs at the moment. I will pm you when I book. Your "exploration" skills know no bounds, a Garmin e trex is very useful when hill walking, to know where you are. Lots of people use the apps now on their phones and all the advice here is probably great, I get a headache when I see, smart, app, gps, battery power, charging, could go on. I may bring a kindle with me though? I like the fleece attachment, I wore a worn out fleece (well it was very light) on 2 caminos, had it in the bin in Santiago and took it back out and brought it home with me! My boots will be "new" this year, what boots are you wearing, a gear list ?
Thanks again
Good luck with new route, we all have something to look forward to in years to come.

I am with the ladies who "don't know much" when it comes to tech. But, one pilgrim wrote that she used a pedometer to track her distances, etc. to figure out how much further she had to go to "x". Could you add this to your compass/map usage? Just a thought (and CHEAP).
Stefania
I hadn't thought of a pedometer. I have a history of breaking them - mainly dropping them - or they wriggle around my waistband and give me an inaccurately low reading. I tried clipping one to my bra where it was very accurate until sadly I got blisters! I need to track down a pedometer that behaves well and some topographical maps of the mountainous areas of the del Salvador and Primitivo. I went onto the IGN site but I haven't found an index map yet to figure out which maps to download.
Mary

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I like my Fitbit. It is very flexible about where you can put it.....I usually just keep it in a pocket. Seems reasonably accurate.

I understand that some newer phones have accelerometers too, so they can act as pedometers, but don't take my word on that.

There's lots of discussion pro and against GPS. My 2p in favour.

On the Frances I agree you really don't need it for navigation. Emphasis on NEED. But it can be a comfort to confirm a choice or alert to deviation. A couple of times I was able to catch quickly that I had taken a wrong turn through dozy-ness.
And on one more serious occasion I was advised to take a detour but it was seriously wrong and the GPS got me back to route, saving many kms and even potentially risk to life.
So like many bits of kit it is not essential but you're very glad when you do need it. Eg I also took an emergency foil blanket. I didn't expect to use it all, and only did so once, but will def take it on next trip.

Possibly more importantly is how you relate to distance. This was first long walk. I loved it but there were definitely times when a lack of accurate information would have put me in serious depression through tiredness. Using the GPS to be able to know that it's only xx to go, or I've covered xx so far so rest will be manageable, was very helpful for me.
I actually lost my GPS twice, recovered it once but 2nd time was permanent. I didn't secure it properly to bag. So I did walk some of the route without it. I missed it. So I ended up buying a watch GPS - garmin Fenix. Not good for viewing map, but as discussed that is not its primary purpose for me - but for stats of progress and achievement, it def comes with me on next trip.

And a vote for using iPhone and a suitable map app. Maybe viewranger or motion-x. Only issue is battery drain. Eap if taking lots of photos as well. It's great to have a composite device but you need to consider battery life. And even take an external battery for top-up during day.

And also a vote for Fitbit. Very light, battery lasts a week or more. But totally un-essential !!

An iphone with motion-x is a super GPS unit, and if you are just navigating it works very well. If you record your track it will eat the battery pretty fast, while a handheld gps will record days of travel on AA batteries. I love having a digital record of our trips, and they have enough detail to pick out every viewpoint we walked out to or sidewalk café we stopped in.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, and sorry for the confusion. I had already started a thread about GPS on the Camino Olvidado, and got some good advice http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/gps-for-the-camino-olvidado.23902/

I was pretty well set in my decision, then una asked me a question on the Camino de Invierno thread and it started another discussion about gps and the camino, which Susanna has now separated from the Invierno thread and placed here. :)

The irony of this thread to me is that it may be that if I were a higher tech pilgrim, I would need fewer devices because I'd figure out how to use my phone or my camera for gps. But based on what some PMs and some people on the Spanish forum have told me, we would really be better off on the isolated mountainous parts of the Camino Olvidado if we had a gps. So I'm going to buy one, give it away next Christmas and hopefully never use one again on the Camino.

I don't think there are any other Caminos in Spain where a gps would be recommended, am I right? (Well, I would recommend it for a few stages on the Vadiniense/Lebaniego, but I've already walked that camino and had to bushwhack my way out of the brush by following an overhead electricity line). Thanks, everyone, Laurie

You don't need a data connection to show your position on the map. You might need a connection to download the map but there offline maps. Google maps lets you download the maps in advance. Others sell maps.

You might need a data connection for directions. Or to search around you for something. (supermarket,hospital,ATM,etc)

Battery depends on your phone but you can get external batteries to extend the life. The bigger (heavier) ones might give you most of a week. The smaller ones maybe an extra day.

The advantage of using your smartphone instead of a standalone GPS is it's one device . Instead of a phone,GPS etc

I don't think there are any other Caminos in Spain where a gps would be recommended, am I right? (Well, I would recommend it for a few stages on the Vadiniense/Lebaniego, but I've already walked that camino and had to bushwhack my way out of the brush by following an overhead electricity line). Thanks, everyone, Laurie
Otto, who I walked with on the Salvador, had one with him.
It's was fun. He stopped often and told me how many m the mountains were, and such things.
I was thinking how lucky I am to walk with someone who got a GPS.
Now I will do it again. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You don't need a data connection to show your position on the map. You might need a connection to download the map but there offline maps. Google maps lets you download the maps in advance. Others sell maps.

You might need a data connection for directions. Or to search around you for something. (supermarket,hospital,ATM,etc)

Battery depends on your phone but you can get external batteries to extend the life. The bigger (heavier) ones might give you most of a week. The smaller ones maybe an extra day.

The advantage of using your smartphone instead of a standalone GPS is it's one device . Instead of a phone,GPS etc

Hi, NicoZ,
Thanks for your input.

Here's what one person on the Spanish forum said about the phone vs. GPS (my translation)
"Carying a GPS has its advantages -- in terms of "autonomy" (?), battery consumption, solidity of construction, and water-proof-ness. The map is in the memory card and as a result it doesn't consume data from your phone connection. There are very good quality maps that are free (legally) for the Garmin.

In google maps on the phone, you cannot download the map to see it without a connection, so that means you need to have continuous coverage. And in some parts of this camino there will be bad data connection. The telephone consumes battery, as does the GPS, as does the high consumption you will have when you have the screen lit. Another option would be to use a program specifically for smartphone that lets you download the maps in the phone's memory, for example OruxMaps for Android."

And here is another response agreeing with the recommendation to get a GPS:

"It's very unlikely that your smartphone will have continuous service and without it the maps won't download. The telephone is so important for your safety that you shouldn't risk depleting its battery because you used the phone as a gps during a long stage.

You can download the maps in the gps in its microSD memory and with two AA batteries it will work for almost 20 hours. It weighs about 200 g. It is necessary to learn how to use it of course, but the basic operations are not difficult."

I understand very little of that, but I do understand that the bottom line is that they think (along with some English language PMs I got on this forum) a standalone device is the way to go.

I don't use my iPhone for anything other than wifi and skyping home to my parents, because the phone and data would be very expensive, so it looks like I will have one gps device, one iphone, and one basic Spanish cell phone. And one electric coil. I know these things add up in terms of weight and just the sheer overwhelming-ness of having so many gadgets. So I may leave the iphone at home this year and find another way to connect with my parents. Luckily I have several months more to obsess about this. :)

I hadn't thought of a pedometer. I have a history of breaking them - mainly dropping them - or they wriggle around my waistband and give me an inaccurately low reading. I tried clipping one to my bra where it was very accurate until sadly I got blisters! I need to track down a pedometer that behaves well and some topographical maps of the mountainous areas of the del Salvador and Primitivo. I went onto the IGN site but I haven't found an index map yet to figure out which maps to download.
Mary
Have you tried this sort of pedometer. It clips on and has a second safety clip. Terry clips both the main and string clips to his pocket and it has always been very accurate. The battery lasts about 6 months and as the pedometer needs re-setting when the battery is changed he has kept a note of his personal settings. He set it up using a measured step and then checked it over a measured kilometre, then tweaked it until it was correct.

The Spanish Mapas Militar (Ordinance Survey) have the contours. Available from the Map Shop, Upton-on-Severn, UK - paper copies.

Last edited:
Hi, NicoZ,
T

In google maps on the phone, you cannot download the map to see it without a connection, so that means you need to have continuous coverage. And in some parts of this camino there will be bad data connection. The telephone consumes battery, as does the GPS, as does the high consumption you will have when you have the screen lit. Another option would be to use a program specifically for smartphone that lets you download the maps in the phone's memory, for example OruxMaps for Android."

That hasn't been true for quite a while. Maybe a couple of years in the Android world. Less for Apple users. You can download the maps in advance. What you need data for is step by step directions. But walking you don't really need this. If you mark the next stop you can just head towards it on the map.

The battery issue is real but my BIG external battery for the smartphone likely weighs no more then my hiking GPS. I have a little external battery that's far smaller then any GPS. That means the combination of the phone plus extra battery are lighter and take up less room then just my old hiking GPS.

Mary
I wear mine on the pocket near the top of my hip with the devise facing in and the clip showing on the outside. This works well for me.
Stefania

Laurie
If I get to start in Seville end of April I will finish mid-June (ish). A lot of ifs at the moment. I will pm you when I book. Your "exploration" skills know no bounds, a Garmin e trex is very useful when hill walking, to know where you are. Lots of people use the apps now on their phones and all the advice here is probably great, I get a headache when I see, smart, app, gps, battery power, charging, could go on. I may bring a kindle with me though? I like the fleece attachment, I wore a worn out fleece (well it was very light) on 2 caminos, had it in the bin in Santiago and took it back out and brought it home with me! My boots will be "new" this year, what boots are you wearing, a gear list ?
Thanks again
Good luck with new route, we all have something to look forward to in years to come.

I plan to arrive in Seville around the 22nd / 23rd April spend a couple of days or so sightseeing and continue right through to Muxia & Finisterre. This will be my third Camino taking my total Camino distance to well over 5,000km or 3,000miles combined. The only technology that I ever carry is a very old mobile that has not been used for 9 months can only make a phone call in an emergency and a small idiot proof digital camera for memories. Whatever happened to the good old fashion system of a map, compass and logical thinking which have both served me very well in the past, hopefully the same for VDLP this year. I aim to be in Finisterre by the first week of June without the need of all these so called necessities. The first objective when walking a Camino is to lose oneself only then can you really begin to truly find yourself and the meaning of the way. However if you do notice an grey haired old man from Wales walking in circles, don't kick him in the ditch just point him towards Santiago and he'll do just fine.
May see you on the VDLP.....................Utreia............Buen Camino.

I used for the Camino Del Salvador the Garmin Etrex 20. As Laurie started this post with the question about the Dakota 20: here are the differences.
Navigation on Etrex is with a kind of joystick. Dakota is with touch screen. Screen of Dakota is a little bit bigger but Etrex has a brighter screen, easier to look at with sunlight on it.
Dakota has only 850MB internal memory. Whole Spain is something like 1,6GB (=1600MB). You will need an external SD card. Etrex has something like 1,6GB internal memory.
What is very handy with Garmin is the software Mapsource (in fact now it's Basecamp) where you can study the map on your PC, transfer the parts of the map which are interesting for you (to save on memory) and prepare a route/track and transfer it to your equipment.
About the use of Mapsource/Basecamp. Two months ago, I explained during 1 hour the usage of Mapsource to an 85 year old man (farmer) who never used a computer in his life. And it's OK, he can now work with it.
Only to say that Mapsource is easy to use.

I have one remark about free Garmin Maps. Not all paths are on the free maps. The expensive Garmin maps do have "almost" all the paths on.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I used for the Camino Del Salvador the Garmin Etrex 20. As Laurie started this post with the question about the Dakota 20: here are the differences.
Navigation on Etrex is with a kind of joystick. Dakota is with touch screen. Screen of Dakota is a little bit bigger but Etrex has a brighter screen, easier to look at with sunlight on it.
Dakota has only 850MB internal memory. Whole Spain is something like 1,6GB (=1600MB). You will need an external SD card. Etrex has something like 1,6GB internal memory.
What is very handy with Garmin is the software Mapsource (in fact now it's Basecamp) where you can study the map on your PC, transfer the parts of the map which are interesting for you (to save on memory) and prepare a route/track and transfer it to your equipment.
About the use of Mapsource/Basecamp. Two months ago, I explained during 1 hour the usage of Mapsource to an 85 year old man (farmer) who never used a computer in his life. And it's OK, he can now work with it.
Only to say that Mapsource is easy to use.

I have one remark about free Garmin Maps. Not all paths are on the free maps. The expensive Garmin maps do have "almost" all the paths on.

Thank you Gunnar, that was good to know. :)
Laurie and I talked about what Garmin to get, and I thought the Dakota with its touch screen looked better and more fun (maybe easier if you are used to a touch screen already). Lauries friend will have to make it ready for the trip, putting the maps in it, and I am going to use it.
The plan is to make a gps track which we can put here on the forum, and we also need to check the distances between the cities, for our guide book about the Olvidado.

Very good plan Susanna!
About touch screen versus navigation joystick. The 85 year old man has the Dakota 20 and he sometimes has to press twice. I like the navigation joystick. It goes even quicker and there are no prints on the screen.

May I suggest you one thing. Buy some protection foils. The Garmin's have "plastic" screens (phone = glass) and are sensible for scratches. I found on ebay a set of protection foils not too expensive in the UK.

Very good plan Susanna!
About touch screen versus navigation joystick. The 85 year old man has the Dakota 20 and he sometimes has to press twice. I like the navigation joystick. It goes even quicker and there are no prints on the screen.

May I suggest you one thing. Buy some protection foils. The Garmin's have "plastic" screens (phone = glass) and are sensible for scratches. I found on ebay a set of protection foils not too expensive in the UK.

Okay, will do. We don't want it full of scratches.:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Dakota has an internal changable SD card right under the batteries which allows different maps to be dropped in.

The screen-savers are a good idea.

Dear Laurie,

I took GPS, cell phone (Iphone) and big camera with me on camino. I never use GPS, there was no reason for it, the way was good marked. I use my big camera for shooting photos, and I took also couple of them with phone, which was used also as communicator with home via Skype, most of albergues, bars etc.. has wifi, so I dont need to spend a lot of money for calling... also can be used for emails, tweet, facebook...

so if can I summarize, next time big camera (or any other type of camera) cell phone, BUT no GPS, because you need batterys, charger... and this can have 300 and more grams, and it gives you no extra special benefits.

buen camino

Denis

BUT no GPS, because you need batterys, charger... and this can have 300 and more grams, and it gives you no extra special benefits.

Well you need to define "special benefits" Here's a track from four years ago on the Menton-Arles route. We arrived in Lorgues late in a pouring rain. The GPS had several Chambre d'hotes and we looked at three we before finding one open. It saved the track so we can now tell friends exactly where the wonderful place we stayed is.

The Garmin Dakota had all that info offline, is not phased by the rain, uses AA batteries, and weighs 155 grams.

gps lorgues.JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.