• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

GPS vs Smart Phone for route tracking

TeknoHead

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (Bilbao to SdC) - 08/2015
Camino del Norte (Irun to Bilbao) - 03/2016
Camino do Mar, Camino Fatima, Portuguese Camino, Camino del Costa, Camino Finisterre - 08/2016
Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked and answered in this forum but there's too much information to go through at the moment.

I'm doing the camino norte in August and want to track my route using either an affordable GPS unit or a smartphone.

If I use a GPS unit I need to be able to connect it to my Android phone, not a laptop or tablet, and update my daily progress for family and friends back home. I was thinking of the Garmin etrex 10 because of it's affordability.

On the other hand I could use a smartphone. Has anybody tracked their route and updated it daily and what phone did you use?
I will be taking solar panels but if there is bad weather and I can't charge I don't want to waste my battery GPS tracking when I might need to make an emergency call.

I don't intend to use either as a satnav or route finder, I have a map and compass, I just want to track my route and update it daily.

Any information will be very much appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked and answered in this forum but there's too much information to go through at the moment.

I'm doing the camino norte in August and want to track my route using either an affordable GPS unit or a smartphone.

If I use a GPS unit I need to be able to connect it to my Android phone, not a laptop or tablet, and update my daily progress for family and friends back home. I was thinking of the Garmin etrex 10 because of it's affordability.

On the other hand I could use a smartphone. Has anybody tracked their route and updated it daily and what phone did you use?
I will be taking solar panels but if there is bad weather and I can't charge I don't want to waste my battery GPS tracking when I might need to make an emergency call.

I don't intend to use either as a satnav or route finder, I have a map and compass, I just want to track my route and update it daily.

Any information will be very much appreciated.
Welcome to the forum!

Last year on Camino de Madrid & Camino de Invierno I used gps tracking app for the first time and it worked great. I have HTC Desire 500 smart phone (android) and Endomondo app. I used it only for recording gps tracks and with Endomondo you have possibility to invite (registered) friends to see your progress once uploaded, let's say after ending the stage for the day. But you can upload gps track more frequently of course. While walking I set my phone in airplane mode to save power and it worked just fine, not a single day to recharge it during the day.

Buen Camino!

You're correct, it has been discussed extensively. I won't rehearse the discussion here, other than to point out that you have posted this in the section of the forum set up so that the information you are seeking is largely in one place. Perhaps if you cannot find an answer, that would be a good time to ask a specific question.

There are a couple of points about your post that might be worth addressing:
  • First is that I am not aware whether the Garmin express android app will connect to an eTrex. If you find out, I would really appreciate knowing.
  • Second, I suspect that a map and compass is probably overkill, even on the Norte. Mind you, selecting a decent mapping app or one of the Garmin eTrex models that supports mapping might be a good alternative.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I will be taking solar panels

Sure about that? Like you, I bought portable solar panels. Ended up carrying the power pack and a wall charger. Took forever to charge anything with the panels.

(if you can find a used gps watch, I'd go for it. I was lucky to get a forerunner 910xt at a fraction of the price. It makes following unmarked trails infinitely easier than with a handheld device. You can easily start stop the tracking. It can probably hold all of your tracks but you can also upload to a computer or a smartphone. One charge will last 3-4 days. ).

With motion-x and an iphone you can record your track and email it home in second
It does use some battery power but it is way easier to share a track than a garmin unit

An ipad mini has pretty good battery life as does the new iphone 6

Not sure if I'm missing something here. ....

But I just used the 'family tracker' app on my phone

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I used RunKeeper (free app), which is compatible with android and IPhone. I used it with data off, but still using GPS (not in Airplane mode), and it would show me miles walked, hours/minutes walked, and average speed, as I was walking. When I got to a WiFi source, a map of where I had been for the day would download, available to others on the internet. It also gave information on elevation profile for the day and hourly pace throughout the day. It showed me spending lots of time drinking coffee in small towns across Spain! It worked fine for me.

Welcome to the forum!

Last year on Camino de Madrid & Camino de Invierno I used gps tracking app for the first time and it worked great. I have HTC Desire 500 smart phone (android) and Endomondo app. I used it only for recording gps tracks and with Endomondo you have possibility to invite (registered) friends to see your progress once uploaded, let's say after ending the stage for the day. But you can upload gps track more frequently of course. While walking I set my phone in airplane mode to save power and it worked just fine, not a single day to recharge it during the day.

Buen Camino!

Thanks for the advice. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

I'll test it this weekend and let you know how it goes.

You're correct, it has been discussed extensively. I won't rehearse the discussion here, other than to point out that you have posted this in the section of the forum set up so that the information you are seeking is largely in one place. Perhaps if you cannot find an answer, that would be a good time to ask a specific question.

There are a couple of points about your post that might be worth addressing:
  • First is that I am not aware whether the Garmin express android app will connect to an eTrex. If you find out, I would really appreciate knowing.
  • Second, I suspect that a map and compass is probably overkill, even on the Norte. Mind you, selecting a decent mapping app or one of the Garmin eTrex models that supports mapping might be a good alternative.
If I remember right I had 30 minutes before I had to work when I posted my request. Didn't have anywhere near enough time to go through the information in this section of the forum.

Anyway, my request has paid off. I've had my question answered.

I've decided not to buy the Garmin. When my kit is complete I'll reconsider but I no longer consider it a necessity.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sure about that? Like you, I bought portable solar panels. Ended up carrying the power pack and a wall charger. Took forever to charge anything with the panels.

(if you can find a used gps watch, I'd go for it. I was lucky to get a forerunner 910xt at a fraction of the price. It makes following unmarked trails infinitely easier than with a handheld device. You can easily start stop the tracking. It can probably hold all of your tracks but you can also upload to a computer or a smartphone. One charge will last 3-4 days. ).

I wish I'd known this before spending €40 on the panels. I bought them on Amazon and they were highly rated. I went for the 7W for faster phone charging. I'll test them over the next few weeks in the magnificent Dutch sunshine and let you know how they function.

As for the GPS watch..... that's the exact make and model that my friend recommends. He's a triathlete and uses it to log his runs. I'm keeping an out for a second hand one.

With motion-x and an iphone you can record your track and email it home in second
It does use some battery power but it is way easier to share a track than a garmin unit

An ipad mini has pretty good battery life as does the new iphone 6

Thank you very much for your advice but I'm allergic to Apples.

Not sure if phone missing something here. ....

But I just used the 'family tracker' app on my phone
To be honest, I think I was over thinking the situation.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I used RunKeeper (free app), which is compatible with android and IPhone. I used it with data off, but still using GPS (not in Airplane mode), and it would show me miles walked, hours/minutes walked, and average speed, as I was walking. When I got to a WiFi source, a map of where I had been for the day would download, available to others on the internet. It also gave information on elevation profile for the day and hourly pace throughout the day. It showed me spending lots of time drinking coffee in small towns across Spain! It worked fine for me.
Great, that's another app I'll consider. Thanks.

I need a new phone so my priority is battery life first, camera quality second.

Can't wait to get going!!!!

Welcome TeknoHead, I use "My Tracks" on Android, its a Google App, its simple, basic and uses practically no battery power, you can also share the tracks.
Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

Welcome TeknoHead, I use "My Tracks" on Android, its a Google App, its simple, basic and uses practically no battery power, you can also share the tracks.
Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

Mytracks current version is acting strange on my new Nexus.

How much do those solar panels weigh? More or less then an external battery? At €40 you can get a battery big enough to recharge a large phone at least a couple of times. A smaller phone likely for most of the week. Just need to charger the battery when you get a spare outlet

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You may want to read this review by outdoor gear lab, and the comments on the instapark at Amazon.com.

If I were backpacking in the wilderness, they'd be in. But for urban packing, a USB wall charger + battery pack is OK.

Hi there,
I was wanting a history/map of where i was for each day of my camino. Would runkeeper be good for this? is there any place online I can see an example of what history would look like? If not runkeeper, anyone have any other suggestions?

Hi there,
I was wanting a history/map of where i was for each day of my camino. Would runkeeper be good for this? is there any place online I can see an example of what history would look like? If not runkeeper, anyone have any other suggestions?
Once you have internet access, for example a WiFi connection at an albergue (or if you have data turned on while walking) a map of you path downloads. I have all the maps of each day of the Camino on my Runkeeper. The app is free, so you should download it and try it out. Walk with RunKeeper turned on but data off; then after the walk turn data on or connect to WiFi and see if the map downloads. It does for me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thank you for this info. Exactly what I was looking for! :)

Thanks for the advice. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

I'll test it this weekend and let you know how it goes.

I have been using Endomondo for tracking my walks for several years. I do find a difference between using it in airplane mode vs with mobile network connected. I think it records less accurately when used offline. At the moment it doesn't look like you can download and use offline maps with this app, so it's going to struggle charting an accurate route if it can't access google maps.

I've been testing a new walking/cycling app recently called "Komoot". For this one you can download maps to the phone and work offline. I used it today - you can also set a destination and it will give you voice guidance, so you can put the phone in your pocket. I didn't carry a map with me, and when I got lost on a walking trail today it got me back on track. Probably overkill for you, but it is actually quite simple and once you've bought the maps you don't get nagged to upgrade as with Endomondo.
I like the fact that you can snap a picture while using the app and it gets attached to the route map that you are recording. Yes you can follow a route and record it at the same time then share it with your followers.
https://en.komoot.de

I haven't shared a walk before, but try to have a look at the link to see if it could work for you.

https://en.komoot.de/tour/8090750?ref=none

Gideon

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have been using Endomondo for tracking my walks for several years. I do find a difference between using it in airplane mode vs with mobile network connected. I think it records less accurately when used offline. At the moment it doesn't look like you can download and use offline maps with this app, so it's going to struggle charting an accurate route if it can't access google maps.

I've been testing a new walking/cycling app recently called "Komoot". For this one you can download maps to the phone and work offline. I used it today - you can also set a destination and it will give you voice guidance, so you can put the phone in your pocket. I didn't carry a map with me, and when I got lost on a walking trail today it got me back on track. Probably overkill for you, but it is actually quite simple and once you've bought the maps you don't get nagged to upgrade as with Endomondo.
I like the fact that you can snap a picture while using the app and it gets attached to the route map that you are recording. Yes you can follow a route and record it at the same time then share it with your followers.
https://en.komoot.de

I haven't shared a walk before, but try to have a look at the link to see if it could work for you.

https://en.komoot.de/tour/8090750?ref=none

Gideon

Thank you Gideon, will have a look at Komoot - though I think it's a bit beyond me to upload GPX files! I do like the idea of being able to attach photos to your route though! :)

I wish I'd known this before spending €40 on the panels. I bought them on Amazon and they were highly rated. I went for the 7W for faster phone charging. I'll test them over the next few weeks in the magnificent Dutch sunshine and let you know how they function.

As for the GPS watch..... that's the exact make and model that my friend recommends. He's a triathlete and uses it to log his runs. I'm keeping an out for a second hand one.
I have this GPS watch but the problem is that it only uploads via wirelessly via a USB stick plugged into a computer with the Garmin software on it. It would do a decent job of tracking but also has a somewhat limited capacity (I think I calculated about 28 days worth?) and would only be accessible if you brought a small laptop on the Camino. HTHs.

Thank you Gideon, will have a look at Komoot - though I think it's a bit beyond me to upload GPX files! I do like the idea of being able to attach photos to your route though! :)

Hi KerryG

The Komoot app automatically uploads the tracked routes. You can share it from the website like I did, or you can simply share it automatically to your "followers".

However, I have to ask myself this question - do people really need to know my every step on the Camino? I use these apps to record my training, for my own use, but once I'm on camino I tone down social interaction to daily SMS, WhatsApp or Messenger updates to loved ones, and the odd phone call and blog post. You may get so consumed with trying to get the technology right that it takes away the joy of just being, walking, seeing and meeting new people. Worth a thought - why am I recording my every move? Is there a need to share it?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Worth a thought - why am I recording my every move? Is there a need to share it?
Different hikes for different purposes . . . In addition to pilgrimage for my own purposes, I am also raising funds through my parish for a charity. Thus, being able to keep a record that others can view without me having to do much of anything at all to share it daily actually frees me to be more attentive to what I'm doing. Also, I can blog less (and thus more meaningfully).

This is actually the coolest thing I've seen for a while, as I've been contemplating taking a GPS as I tackle the Salvator. It's easier to fall off a log while sitting down than to get lost on the CF (although, I nearly managed both in the rain one day), but I think it would be far easier to get off track on the CS. Having a voice in the pocket if I wander down the wrong path would be one less thing to worry about.

Different hikes for different purposes . . . In addition to pilgrimage for my own purposes, I am also raising funds through my parish for a charity. Thus, being able to keep a record that others can view without me having to do much of anything at all to share it daily actually frees me to be more attentive to what I'm doing. Also, I can blog less (and thus more meaningfully).

This is actually the coolest thing I've seen for a while, as I've been contemplating taking a GPS as I tackle the Salvator. It's easier to fall off a log while sitting down than to get lost on the CF (although, I nearly managed both in the rain one day), but I think it would be far easier to get off track on the CS. Having a voice in the pocket if I wander down the wrong path would be one less thing to worry about.

Certainly worth testing then. I find it has good accuracy up to about 10 metres, but if there are two paths close together to choose from you have to look at the map. Also, the app probably doesn't know the actual Camino route, just the shortest way to get to your destination using footpaths, nevertheless useful when you've wondered off.

Good luck with your fundraising efforts!

You may get so consumed with trying to get the technology right that it takes away the joy of just being, walking, seeing and meeting new people. Worth a thought - why am I recording my every move? Is there a need to share it?

I probably don't NEED to share every move I make but as koilife said, if I can keep a record that others can view without me having to do very much at all, actually frees me up. All I'll need to do is start the app off in the morning, stop it when I stop at the end of the day and share along with perhaps a a short note and I'm done. No need for numerous emails and/or messaging each day. I know my father for one will enjoy it and other family members and friends too. Dad, in his 70's, not very mobile and just loving all the technology we have these days, will love it. .

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.