• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

GPS

D

Deleted member 73892

Which APP (Android), would experienced GPS users recommend for general use on Camino. Never used it before, no experience. Can anyone link me to a thread please or recommend from experience, please?
LLN Keith

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @Redhead Keith
I like to use maps.me (download to phone first ) it’s free

The following link was posted recently by forum member @Thomas1962
He includes everything you need to know and instructions on how to download tracks for ‘all’ routes in spain. (Very quick and easy ).

Maps me runs without data or wifi. If you have it open all the time it will use battery though - just open it when needed .

Buen camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I routinely use 4 apps, Google, osm+, maps.me and wikiloc. I've used a couple others. For newbies my recommendation is maps.me.

Download basemaps of the areas you will be walking through ahead of time when you are connected to wifi otherwise the base map would have to be provided by more expensive cellular data while you are walking.

The easiest way to get a track to show up on top of the base map for the area that you are in is to email yourself the track as an attachment and open the attachment.

maps.me can only load tracks with the file extensions .kml and .kmz. Another common format is .gpx (osm+ can only read this format). There are websites that provide free translation from one format to another.

Last edited:
I use Gaia GPS. It has many map options (street, topo, biking), tracks and saves your routes, geotags photos along the route, route planning, facebook sharing (family back home loves this).
Can be used in airplane mode (iPhone 8 tracks a Camino day and has enough battery to get through dinner and be charged at night). Has an Apple Watch companion app so you can check your stats on your wrist without digging out your phone.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi @Redhead Keith
I like to use maps.me (download to phone first ) it’s free

The following link was posted recently by forum member @Thomas1962
He includes everything you need to know and instructions on how to download tracks for ‘all’ routes in spain. (Very quick and easy ).

Maps me runs without data or wifi. If you have it open all the time it will use battery though - just open it when needed .

Buen camino
Thank you

I use Ridewithgps and Komoot and use a Wahoo Bolt. It is a cycling app but there are also GPX files which walkers have added from all the Caminos. It is a push of a button to download the filesto my Wahoo Bolt.
I am currently using RWGPS to make a detailed cycling route from Biarritz tp Santiago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I routinely use 4 apps, Google, osm+, maps.me and wikiloc. I've used a couple others. For newbies my recommendation is maps.me.

Download basemaps of the areas you will be walking through ahead of time when you are connected to wifi otherwise the base map would have to be provided by more expensive cellular data while you are walking.

The easiest way to get a track to show up on top of the base map for the area that you are in is to email yourself the track as an attachment and open the attachment.

maps.me can only load tracks with the file extensions .kml and .kmz. Another common format is .gpx (osm+ can only read this format). There are websites that provide free translation from one format to another.
Thanks for the tips. Good advice.
Keith

I like Wikiloc for several reasons, including these two:
  1. Posters often include photos and other info with their tracks that give me hints about things I might like to see and might otherwise pass by unknowingly. They are often more up-to-date than the info in guidebooks.
  2. I can easily find tracks for detours that I don't want to miss off the main camino route - like the Yecla Gorge near Santo Domingo de Silos.
It's an app that originated with Spanish walkers and cyclists, and it has over 7 million tracks uploaded for Spain and Portugal alone, more than 15 million tracks worldwide.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Which APP (Android), would experienced GPS users recommend for general use on Camino. Never used it before, no experience. Can anyone link me to a thread please or recommend from experience, please?
LLN Keith
Never seen the need for GPS. Its the camino not the wilderness. The trails are covered in all kinds of directions. Official local signposts, European heritage signposts, local people painting yellow arrows on anything that stands still and even making huge arrows out of hundreds of rocks. You really cant get lost unless you take your eyes off the trail to look at a GPS device and miss the yellow arrow right in front of you. It might be fun, it might be a hobby but GPS devices really are totally pointless. The only app I use is an electronic guide book that lists all the albergues but even that is pointless as the pilgrim office in St Jean provide a couple of A4 printed sheets plus one that shows the profile for each stage. Just walk, follow the multitude of arrows and enjoy the sights sounds and smells as you go and interact with your fellow pilgrims. Technology is just a distraction useful only for taking pictures

Never seen the need for GPS. Its the camino not the wilderness. The trails are covered in all kinds of directions. Official local signposts, European heritage signposts, local people painting yellow arrows on anything that stands still and even making huge arrows out of hundreds of rocks. You really cant get lost unless you take your eyes off the trail to look at a GPS device and miss the yellow arrow right in front of you. It might be fun, it might be a hobby but GPS devices really are totally pointless. The only app I use is an electronic guide book that lists all the albergues but even that is pointless as the pilgrim office in St Jean provide a couple of A4 printed sheets plus one that shows the profile for each stage. Just walk, follow the multitude of arrows and enjoy the sights sounds and smells as you go and interact with your fellow pilgrims. Technology is just a distraction useful only for taking pictures
I completely agree with you, but having been on several caminos and exerienced health issues on every one of them, that have required medical attention en-route, I want to be sure about where to find the nearest help and medical attention. I've now uploaded a couple of GPS and found that they provide maps, interesting historical information, other essentials I have previously missed, lists and contacts for all types of accomodation and... directions to medical and health centres off-route. I've always carried paper info but am sick of that and have to limit my load to absolute minimum - literally taking the paper out and every other possible gram. It is wonderful how the routes are maintained for us all, a lot of people put a great deal of effort and time into looking after us. And as for the wild life and nature, I'm forever in awe.

I like Wikiloc for several reasons, including these two:
  1. Posters often include photos and other info with their tracks that give me hints about things I might like to see and might otherwise pass by unknowingly. They are often more up-to-date than the info in guidebooks.
  2. I can easily find tracks for detours that I don't want to miss off the main camino route - like the Yecla Gorge near Santo Domingo de Silos.
It's an app that originated with Spanish walkers and cyclists, and it has over 7 million tracks uploaded for Spain and Portugal alone, more than 15 million tracks worldwide.
Thanks, I'll take a look at it. Keith

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think it is important to decide how you want to use the GPS information. If it's just for navigation, then as a couple people have mentioned, you really don't need it at all - a paper map and sign posts are enough - but if you want to use GPS, any mapping app will work - Google Maps of Maps.me downloaded so that it will work offline is fine and are really easy to use. But, if you want to track your route and save the data for posterity, there are various hiking and walking apps like All Trails, Map My Walk, and others that will record your route and sync to a web site to save your data under your account. The best app to use really depends on what you want to use it for.

Which APP (Android), would experienced GPS users recommend for general use on Camino. Never used it before, no experience

For your camino @RennieArchibald has the best and simplest suggestion: In Spain just follow the yellow arrows. They all point to Compstela, except for some which point to an eatery or accomodation off the "official " route.

All Apps have a learning period. And you have many, many suggestions above. Once started you may find map apps on your Android device become useful in other situations, such as driving to a new address and so on.

I have found anything connected to Google maps is generally not always relevant for walking routes.

On the other hand I have found the army of volunteer mappers usually ensure apps using Open Street Maps (OSM) are very up-to-date.

OFFLINE OSM apps (download maps before you leave home)

OSMAnd+
I have used this for more than four years and have got used to the "busy" presentation. A tool that may become useful (later if not straight away) is a route planning tool that can create a GPX file to save for later use and an elevation profile.

Windy Maps
This has become recently available. In my view the presentation is "clean" showing stuff for walkers (and cyclists). It has a route planning tool. I am still becoming familiar with its use.

Of these two Windy Maps might be the better for a first time user.

ONLINE OSM app (use a browser in real time)

WayMarkedTrails.org
The "hiking" option is most relevant. And it will usually show underlying changes made less than an hour before each (refreshed) look. This shows ways (or routes) and an elevation profile for a route that has been properly maintained. This link may give you some idea of what this app displays near your area:
Hiking.waymarkedtrails.org at Innsbruck

Please let me know what you ultimately decide to go with.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

See how these 3 can serve you:
- Camino Companion
- Camino Pilgrim
- Wisely + Frances
Use off-line maps. They have lots of other useful
info for your route.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it but GaiaGPS is an outstanding app with public tracts to easily follow along EVERY camino route.

For your camino @RennieArchibald has the best and simplest suggestion: In Spain just follow the yellow arrows. They all point to Compstela, except for some which point to an eatery or accomodation off the "official " route.

All Apps have a learning period. And you have many, many suggestions above. Once started you may find map apps on your Android device become useful in other situations, such as driving to a new address and so on.

I have found anything connected to Google maps is generally not always relevant for walking routes.

On the other hand I have found the army of volunteer mappers usually ensure apps using Open Street Maps (OSM) are very up-to-date.

OFFLINE OSM apps (download maps before you leave home)

OSMAnd+
I have used this for more than four years and have got used to the "busy" presentation. A tool that may become useful (later if not straight away) is a route planning tool that can create a GPX file to save for later use and an elevation profile.

Windy Maps
This has become recently available. In my view the presentation is "clean" showing stuff for walkers (and cyclists). It has a route planning tool. I am still becoming familiar with its use.

Of these two Windy Maps might be the better for a first time user.

ONLINE OSM app (use a browser in real time)

WayMarkedTrails.org
The "hiking" option is most relevant. And it will usually show underlying changes made less than an hour before each (refreshed) look. This shows ways (or routes) and an elevation profile for a route that has been properly maintained. This link may give you some idea of what this app displays near your area:
Hiking.waymarkedtrails.org at Innsbruck

Please let me know what you ultimately decide to go with.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)
Thanks Alwin, good tips.
keith

LLN Keith

I use the OsmAnd+ offline mapping and navigation app which I installed on my 8" Android tablet. I love it. It is feature rich. One can command it to record one's track. The track records show elevation, total climb, total descent, speed, etc., and can be exported to other devices or shared with other people. The app is extremely economical, does not need internet connectivity after one has downloaded the maps, and the maps, which are open-source, are free and show the Caminos and other hiking trails as well as lodging places, cafés, ATMs, laundromats, etc. etc.

https://osmand.net/
I have no economic interest in OsmAnd, am simply a very satisfied user.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You have already received a lot of advice. But I have a little different take. I use the Buen Camino app for planning my stages as I walk and for finding lodgings. It also contains info on which towns have pharmacies and medical resources. It also has a navigation section with a gps track of the camino you're walking. It will show you where you are if you activate the gps antenna in your smartphone for its use. It also contains profiles of each stage, but it won't show you where you are on the profile. It contains both bike and walking options for whichever camino you are walking.
If you have data available on your SIM card, it will work pretty much anywhere on the camino. It will also show you where you are even if you have your data turned off, as long as you have looked at your stage before turning of the data in the morning or the evening before. You have to pay a few euros for your camino guide, but its less expensive than a paper guide and up to date.
It does take a few tries to learn, but all apps and gps apps do.....
Have fun choosing......

You have already received a lot of advice. But I have a little different take. I use the Buen Camino app for planning my stages as I walk and for finding lodgings. It also contains info on which towns have pharmacies and medical resources. It also has a navigation section with a gps track of the camino you're walking. It will show you where you are if you activate the gps antenna in your smartphone for its use. It also contains profiles of each stage, but it won't show you where you are on the profile. It contains both bike and walking options for whichever camino you are walking.
If you have data available on your SIM card, it will work pretty much anywhere on the camino. It will also show you where you are even if you have your data turned off, as long as you have looked at your stage before turning of the data in the morning or the evening before. You have to pay a few euros for your camino guide, but its less expensive than a paper guide and up to date.
It does take a few tries to learn, but all apps and gps apps do.....
Have fun choosing......
Thanks, Sparbleb644, great tip. I'll give it a go.
LLN keith

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It might be fun, it might be a hobby but GPS devices really are totally pointless.
. . . until you need one.

I wanted to go "off Camino" in order to stay at a place recommended by someone on another forum (between the Ferrol and A Coruna legs of the Camino Ingles. It was a damp, misty day combining woods, pastures and highways and there were few dwellings and no other pilgrims around.
At one point I came to a road junction and the road surface was plastered with a dozen or so yellow arrows, a few blue ones and maybe some green ones too (colourblind so your guess is as good as mine) pointing in every direction.
Which arrow ought I follow? I stuck to my gps track and arrived safely at the albergue.
It turns out the local cycle club regularly mark their routes with yellow arrows the instruction being to "follow the freshest one!"
If I'd have stuck with "follow the yellow arrows" I'd still be out there now (this was May 2018).

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.