• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

GR 1 in Catalunia--feeder trail?

Vita

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to Finisterre/Muxia 2006
Le Puy en Velay to Rocamadour 2012
Lourdes to Puente la Reina 2007
Cathar from Catalunya to Montsegur 2010
Emergent Camino in Catalunya (not recommend) 2009
(Camino del Norte or Primitivo, hope for September 2016)
I was told by a person who works with trails in Catalunia that GR 1 was going to become a branch of the Camino de Santiago de Compostela. GR 1 begins near L'Escala, well above Barcelona on the Mediterranean coast, and proceeds due west. I don't see how it could tie into the other trails that feed toward Santiago. The only other trails from Catalunia are below Barcelona. I'll be hiking there in the next few weeks and would be very interested to know... How do I find out if GR 1 is slated to become recognized as a feeder trail? Thank you, Vita

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Peter - I was just looking at a graphic map in the Chemin du Piemont pyreneen guide book. It is called "Itineraires Pedestres du Piemont Pyreneen." (Are these really all pedestrian routes?)
It shows a number of routes over the Pyrenees including one from Narbonne, south to Perpignan which then branches three ways - southeast to Elne and over the Col du Banyuis - southwest to Le Boulou and crosses at Col du Perthus: and a more westerly route from Perpignan to Prades and then over the Pyrenees (no pass mentioned.)
The map shows at least nine other southerly routes that branch off the Chemin du Piemont and cross at various Cols and Ports.
I tried a to download a larger picture here but it was too big so am trying this one.

Attachments

• Piemont Pyreneen.JPG
    Piemont Pyreneen.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 531
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
sillydoll said:
I was just looking at a graphic map in the Chemin du Piemont pyreneen guide book. It is called "Itineraires Pedestres du Piemont Pyreneen." (Are these really all pedestrian routes?)
they're the main passes, and most of them have some sort of walking route, yes.
sillydoll said:
a more westerly route from Perpignan to Prades and then over the Pyrenees (no pass mentioned.)
that's over the Cerdanya: Bourg Madame, Puigcerda. It's more a plateau than an actual pass. You can go up there on the little yellow train from Perpignan. http://www.anglophone-direct.com/Le-petit-train-jaune
The Catalan government plans to link that with Montserrat in phase 2 of their project.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back