• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

GR routes in N.Spain

angelab7

How reliable are these routes? How good is the signposting? I am planning to take a group of young people on pilgrimage to the Ignatian sites in July/August; we shall be walking parts of the GR21, GR120 and GR34.Where can I get details of the routes?
Angela

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Angela,

Spain used to be a difficult country to drive around away from the main cities and Mediterranean coastal belt. But in recent years this has all changed. Massive investment has resulted in huge upgrading of most rural and cross-country routes. So driving and hiking in rural Spain is now a pleasure, with good traffic free main roads through spectacular scenery. Motorways - autovia - incur a toll, while dual carriageways - autopista - are often, but not always, free. Sign-posting is good except in towns, where you need to keep a good look-out for small signs often on the far side of junctions.

In Spain the Federación española de deportes de montaña y escalada is responsible for the maintenance of the GR maps. Many GR routes make up part of the longer European walking routes which cross several countries. Thus, there's a concerted effort to insure they are as complete as possible.

As always, when there appears a question of "Go right or Left" ask a local. Unless your a man...follow your nose, go the wrong way and...when you finally admit you're wrong...Ask for directions!

Buen Camino,

Arn

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I´ve hiked several Grand Randonee routes in northern Spain over the last few months, and find them very well posted indeed, with those nice red and white blazes every couple of km. or so. (Did you know the Camino Aragonese is a Grand Randonee? And so is the Canal de Castilla! The Picos de Europa are full of nicely marked and mapped trails.)

Reb.

how about I just say "Grrrrr!"
Every day I get a little more edumacated. Thanks!

Is there a GR map for spain, and where can I get one?

Reb.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back