• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

GR36 route through France

Time of past OR future Camino
CF July 2018
VDLP April 2019
Hello. Does anybody have knowledge of the GR36 through France? I’m struggling with attaining much detail online in the form of blogs etc. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thank you. BC 😇

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes sure. It begins in Caen and winds through the french interior before finishing in Bourg-madam in the Pyrenees Orientale. It seems less trodden than other Randoneés and it is very appealing. I understand it’s quite a specific ask so any knowledge gleaned on here is great.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bonjour @Dougie1982valley

I have followed the GR 36 from Albi to Cirq Lapopie when on my way to Rocamadour in July, 2021. Like you, I found very little to guide me on the internet. I walked without a GPS or phone and relied on information copied from GR-infos and conversations along the way. Afterwards I put together a resource and posted it here on the forum (sign in to download) :

Later, in August the same year I continued along the GR 36 from Varbre (near Castres) and followed it most of the way to Bourg Madame. You will find attached to this reply a PDF with a few notes on this section. I am still working on it so don't be surprised if you find it needs editing :). Included are the places where I slept, stages walked, and GEOPORTEIL maps pinpointing places where I was perplexed or had difficulty.

From Prades I followed parts of the Voie de Catalane for a few days before reconnecting on the last day with the GR 36. I had a conversation about this here:

The GR 36 has some magnificent moments. I hope you have excellent knees!

Cheers
Lovingkindness

...and a few postcards...
scan0093 (2).jpg scan0091 (2).jpgscan0004 (2).jpg

Attachments

• GR 36 and other trails. Varbre to Bourg Madame (August 2021) by Lovingkindness.pdf
    5.9 MB · Views: 28
  • GUIDE. ALBI - ROCAMADOUR – AGEN & MOIRAX – CONDOM . By Lovingkindness pdf 2023. 2.pdf
    14.3 MB · Views: 13
@lovingkindness Thank you so much for this, it’s a real help. It looks like a really beguiling trail, so much history and beautiful scenery. I will digest this information keenly. I may trouble you again at some stage with additional questions if you don’t mind! 🤭

Attachments

• guide-stjacques-2022.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
...and a little more info:

The GR 36 coincides with portions of Le Chemin de Mont Saint-Michel : for example, Chemin de Caen and several stages along Les Voie des Plantagenet. A google search will bring up guide books, lists of stages, and herbergement for pilgrims.

*The site gr-infos.com: portions of GR 36 which coincide with Le Chemin de Mont Saint-Michel Plantagenet

Allonnes (Maine-et-Loire) - Gourge (Deux-Sevres): https://www.gr-infos.com/gr36e.htm
Gourge - Chize (Deux-Sevres: https://www.gr-infos.com/gr36f.htm

ps @Vacajoe walked to Mont Saint-Michel (Ouistreham) in 2022. He shared it "Live" here:

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

In about a week’s time I’ll be starting my fifth Camino from Le Puy en Velay, however, I’m interested to know if anyone in this forum has started their Camino from Paris ….. to Saint Jean Pied de...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.