• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Graffiti - CYMRU AM BYTH

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bad but maybe not as bad as the idiot who scrawled ‘Micheal Jackson’ across a number of walls in large black letters along the Camino Frances a couple of years ago……leave no trace !
If we are going to have a 'moron of the month' competition then I'll enter Mr Russell Kenny who I had the misfortune of following earlier this year. His style was very distinctive...

IMG_20230129_094645.jpg

IMG_20230131_131940.jpg

This graffiti is being scribbled on all the Camino boards, sprayed on road and even a bench in a beauty spot. However much the person loves Wales, they are bringing your country men and women into discredit.
Can the next Welsh person on the Camino Frances please bring some cleaning fluid!

Sadly

Evleen
Awful, isn’t it? What were they thinking?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
God help us all if “melted rubber humans” walks again

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ive just sent this letter:

Just to let you know that presumably a welsh person has written
Cymru Am Byth
On benches, on roads, but worse of all, on signposts all along the camino frances to Santiago

Its very annoying and gives Wales a bad name.

I thought the next welsh person on the camino could try to remove the graffiti, but it’s in both spray paint and/ or indelible felt pen, so a bit of a problem

Best wishes

Evleen Mann

If we are going to have a 'moron of the month' competition then I'll enter Mr Russell Kenny who I had the misfortune of following earlier this year. His style was very distinctive...

View attachment 146316

View attachment 146317
I first saw Kenny's art work in may 2022 , actually there is some post in the forum from him . I admit that i destroyed some of his non-organic legacy :D . About the welsh i rate it on 3rd place just after MJ .....
I actually enjoy reading some those writings from all pilgrims , but those 3 are on a whole new level !

I saw two more this morning, outside Foncebadon and on the road just before Cruz de Ferro.
IMG_5627.jpeg
He isn’t stopping.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I see graffiti (and especially the kind @Bradypus shared on #4) as the scourge of the Frances route; worse even than toilet paper left behind the bushes, imo. The defacing of the mojones makes me a bit angry as well.
I've not witnessed such things on any of the other Caminos I have walked.

Last edited:
On the wall of the toilet of a pub I used to frequent, someone wrote ´Free Wales´ to which someone added ´with every packet of cornflakes´. I know how they felt. ´Cymru (pronounced coomry) am Byth´ means ´Wales is good´, by the way, not that many people who read it would know that, of course.

On the wall of the toilet of a pub I used to frequent, someone wrote ´Free Wales´ to which someone added ´with every packet of cornflakes´. I know how they felt. ´Cymru (pronounced coomry) am Byth´ means ´Wales is good´, by the way, not that many people who read it would know that, of course.
Most of the people who live around me would know that! Or more likely would think of it more literally as "Long live Wales!" or "Wales forever!". Another traditional inscription above pub urinals in Wales is "Please give generously - England needs the water" :cool:

Last edited:

€83,-
Ive just sent this letter:

Just to let you know that presumably a welsh person has written
Cymru Am Byth
On benches, on roads, but worse of all, on signposts all along the camino frances to Santiago

Its very annoying and gives Wales a bad name.

I thought the next welsh person on the camino could try to remove the graffiti, but it’s in both spray paint and/ or indelible felt pen, so a bit of a problem

Best wishes

Evleen Mann
I saw them all the way from Roncevalles to Santiago, on the distance markerś sign posts and even on the side of farm buildings. Wish i had saw them as s few choice wirds would have been said

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As an anglo-Welsh Celt, agree with the disdain. Not pleased to see such poor judgement in an individual. Afraid I don’t have the means to remove it. I wish I did. Crazy Kim should seek help! (Photo:past Villafranca, before Trabadelo)IMG_1744.jpeg

Oh yes - grafitti, a ridiculous 70's & 80's thing just like rapmusic, breakdance, skateboarding etc etc, I thought would fizzle away like a bad fart.
These people actually think they are clever.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Oh yes - grafitti, a ridiculous 70's & 80's thing just like rapmusic, breakdance, skateboarding etc etc, I thought would fizzle away like a bad fart.

Rap, breakdance and skateboarding are not ridiculous. Though one could discuss preferences of course, but they are not ridiculous.

Last edited:
Well I enjoyed all three!!!! Love to give skateboarding another go!! Might not be wise though!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm with SabsP that rap music, break dance and skateboarding are not ridiculous. The first two are genuine art forms and the latter is a sport (and means of transport). It is no more ridiculous than bicycling.

Graffiti predates the '70s and '80s by millenia.

I'm with SabsP that rap music, break dance and skateboarding are not ridiculous. The first two are genuine art forms and the latter is a sport (and means of transport). It is no more ridiculous than bicycling.

Well - we will just have to agree to disagree. Yes, graffiti have existed for many years - many other silly ideas have. I mentioned 70's & 80's because that was where those "activities" suddenly became a trend.

Art forms?? Oh my god - again we'll just have to agree to disagree.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Some rap is a genuine art form. Far too much of it is "don't need to make sense or have rhythm as long as there are lots of words that rhyme."

Well - we will just have to agree to disagree. Yes, graffiti have existed for many years - many other silly ideas have. I mentioned 70's & 80's because that was where those "activities" suddenly became a trend.

Art forms?? Oh my god - again we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Not only art but from next year on also an official Olympic sport.

So, not a silly activity.

Some rap is a genuine art form. Far too much of it is "don't need to make sense or have rhythm as long as there are lots of words that rhyme."
I used to think that most of the jazz I heard was a bunch of musicians taking the stage and playing without listening to each other. I still sometimes think that. But my lack of appreciation didn't make jazz any less of an art form. And just because some people make "better art" than others doesn't make it any less art.

I don't think it is coincidence that the art that comes out of Black communities (whether jazz, rock and roll or rap) isn't seen as art when it arrives. Jazz was dismissed by classical aficionados when it arrived. Rock and roll was dismissed by the jazz aficionados in the 50s and 60s. Rap is just following the same pattern. And we see the same with break dance.

Now to bring it back to Camino - I wonder if there are any hip hop Camino songs. Mostly modern Camino song I hear I would call folk.

€83,-
And just because some people make "better art" than others doesn't make it any less art.
This is so true. To me, Jackson Pollack painted as if he was blindfolded, splashing paint on canvases. All kinds of art is "in the eye of the beholder". I don't condone graffiti and narcissistic boldness of those who do it, but some is actually quite easy on the eyes.

View attachment 146316

View attachment 146317
Luckily, I was in the other direction most of the time that year, but I *did* encounter his scribblings near the end of my Francès.

What a moron !!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is so true. To me, Jackson Pollack painted as if he was blindfolded, splashing paint on canvases. All kinds of art is "in the eye of the beholder". I don't condone graffiti and narcissistic boldness of those who do it, but some is actually quite easy on the eyes.
What if I told you that Pollock used several different techniques to achieve or/and avoid certain effects in his paintings, especially concerning how fluids move.
Would it surprise you that amongst movie buffs the 70's is considered the best decade in movies. There's a reason for that. "In the eye of the beholder" in connection with quality is a massive misconception.

But again - each to their own, and I can see I'm the minority in here. I'm just going to get out of the way. Have fun all.

Now to bring it back to Camino - I wonder if there are any hip hop Camino songs. Mostly modern Camino song I hear I would call folk.

It seems that there is!

Nice question, and a nice find. Thank you, I enjoyed that. I can't say the following 1988 jam is a Camino song, but it does make me think of Camino. I saw these guys live about 20 years ago. The energy was so positive and effervescent, and the gospel influence is unmistakable. A feel-good song on tough days, and an inspiring song on energetic days.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.