• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Graffiti removal

Rhysmike

Time of past OR future Camino
St. Jean to Santiago (Apr to June 2014); St. Jean to Finisterre (Apr to May 2016); Via Francigena - Lausanne to Rome (Sep to October 2016)
When we walked in early April 2016 a number of graffiti hotspots had been cleaned up. Is this a regular seasonal thing?
94161116-C6FE-45FB-B668-AADA2D4B3C50.jpeg

Attachments

• 6D312C73-B180-4457-9152-FB684270AB90.jpeg
    6D312C73-B180-4457-9152-FB684270AB90.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 97
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Maybe there is a clean up charity we could donate to?

Or even, an incarceration program for the 'artists'.
I'd donate to that :)
I am torn, as whilst I don't approve of vandalism (which it is), I have found much of the graffiti quite interesting and poetic. Often reflecting the inner journey the "artist" is experiencing at that particular moment - which has often resonated. The c*ck and balls sketches I can do without.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Grafitti, at least on stone markers, are removed regularly.
Good to hear! I just cannot believe that people will carry felt-tip markers or aerosol cans with them when they set off – but they do. I would like to find the person who wrote "Love wins" or "❤️W" (even worse, somehow) on just about every mojón and shake him (or her) warmly by the throat!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I once watched a young man, by appearance somewhere in his twenties, showing his accompanying girlfriend as he pulled out a black marker and wrote with it. Fortunately, his message was written on a stone, small enough to turn over, or even to throw away: a bad example to others but easy to dispose of.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is a lot of non Camino related graffiti along the Camino as in other cities all over the world. On the Vasco you see "Independecia Espana esta en ruinas".

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good to hear! I just cannot believe that people will carry felt-tip markers or aerosol cans with them when they set off – but they do. I would like to find the person who wrote "Love wins" or "❤️W" (even worse, somehow) on just about every mojón and shake him (or her) warmly by the throat!
I wish those people wold simply stay off the trails! Equal for those who have to mock those who are walking for spiritual reasons-- they don't think about those having spiritual reasons include those who have lost a loved one! From conversatiosn I've had with many who are walking, this is a common reasn for their hike. If some folks have to leave markings, why can't it be tasteful instead of the poor taste and/or dictatorial mutterings we all have to tolerate while walking!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Having grown up in a not very good neighborhood in the Bronx I can tell you that I am not a big fan of graffiti. In my neighborhood I know that a lot of bad s%$t went down among younger people in my neighborhood who tagged over the wrong persons tag. There is some real art that is attributed to graffiti. Great graffiti artists like Banksy and Basquiat. On the Camino I have seen some instances of wit and art in some of the graffiti I pass but for the most part it brings up alot of negative stuff and most of what I see is (like the above photos that Camino Chrissy posted is just pure junk and for the most part pretty moronic. Oh yea before you attack me. Yes this is my judgement, and any criticism would just be a judgement too!!!!! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wish those people wold simply stay off the trails! Equal for those who have to mock those who are walking for spiritual reasons-- they don't think about those having spiritual reasons include those who have lost a loved one! From conversatiosn I've had with many who are walking, this is a common reasn for their hike. If some folks have to leave markings, why can't it be tasteful instead of the poor taste and/or dictatorial mutterings we all have to tolerate while walking!
I do not understand a comment like this one.

Let's just exclude all Pilgrims who do not walk for the same reasons or comment negatively on others reasons.

By the way, in 10 Camino's, I have never heard anyone mock someone in regards to why they are walking. No matter what their reason. ie: religious, sport, life transition, because it is there etc.etc.

In regards to graffiti, who is to judge what is tasteful graffiti. I think it is likely 10 Pilgrims could not agree on tasteful/not tasteful graffiti. Graffiti is most likely a misdemeanor, in Spain, like most countries. Therefore, an issue for local law enforcement, not me. My guess it has been there and will remain as long as there is a Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I agree with you completely about this. There are people who often and unintentionally (and often not) will be showy and loud on the camino. I too have met and once walked with a very dear friend who are going through deep spiritual and emotional confusion, trauma and loss. I have unfortunately walked with parents who have lost children and are verge of collapse. Yes the camino is a place of joy and happiness and the bonds of deep and lifetime friendships. But it is also a place of profound sadness, loss and pain. I believe all pilgrims have to be respectful at all times of what the "true" meaning of pilgrimage is for these people. I have always felt that as the traffic of people grow a little of the "sacredness" and spirit has been lost.
Yes I know that people have walked for centuries and yes I know everyone walks their own Camino and yes I know it is not cool to "judge". But what I have said is true, these people exist and walk not because it is a bucket list item or something that attracts me, or almost any other reason. They are walking to find even a spark to reignite their lives, even if it may just be a flicker.

All the graffiti I saw on the Camino was quite honestly, moronic. Childish. No doubt done by somebody who matches said description.
and it never destroyed my inner peace, lol

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
To some we want to listen, some will invite us to listen and some will force us to listen.

Graffiti for me is done by someone who wants to force their voice onto others. They give you no choice.

When you’re forced to listen the message becomes irrelevant....

Last edited:
I agree with you completely about this. There are people who often and unintentionally (and often not) will be showy and loud on the camino. I too have met and once walked with a very dear friend who are going through deep spiritual and emotional confusion, trauma and loss. I have unfortunately walked with parents who have lost children and are verge of collapse. Yes the camino is a place of joy and happiness and the bonds of deep and lifetime friendships. But it is also a place of profound sadness, loss and pain. I believe all pilgrims have to be respectful at all times of what the "true" meaning of pilgrimage is for these people. I have always felt that as the traffic of people grow a little of the "sacredness" and spirit has been lost.
Yes I know that people have walked for centuries and yes I know everyone walks their own Camino and yes I know it is not cool to "judge". But what I have said is true, these people exist and walk not because it is a bucket list item or something that attracts me, or almost any other reason. They are walking to find even a spark to reignite their lives, even if it may just be a flicker.

Just for clarity on my part.

Are you agreeing that anyone who does not behave in a way we find acceptable should not be on a Camino?

Are you saying all Pilgrims need to understand the others motivation so we can adjust our level of respect/empathy for each individual we meet on "The way"?

What do you base your feeling of "Sacredness and spirit being lost on the Camino"?

Ultreya,
Joe

I am not a fan of graffiti anywhere. I make one exception, however: in my opinion the small stickers adhered to signposts etc. at main road crossings, that state the phone number of a local taxi dispatch centre, provide information potentially needed by weary or injured pilgrims.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just for clarity on my part.

Are you agreeing that anyone who does not behave in a way we find acceptable should not be on a Camino?

Are you saying all Pilgrims need to understand the others motivation so we can adjust our level of respect/empathy for each individual we meet on "The way"?

What do you base your feeling of "Sacredness and spirit being lost on the Camino"?

Ultreya,
Joe
I didn’t say any of those things. I stated my opinions on ALL graffiti and I just think people should be a little more respectful and sensitive to those who may be around them. I could care less who walks caminos. It is not my business. My opinion about how I feel is just my own feelings based on nothing other than that. It doesn’t effect how I behave or walk it how I treat others. It definitely doesn’t effect how I feel on the Camino except maybe when some drunk and noisy person walks into an albergue after everyone is asleep and wakes people up. They don’t wake me up because I have my ear plugs on. Rude and selfishbehavior is just rude and should be respectfully called out when possible on or off the Camino.

Or even, an incarceration program for the 'artists'.
I'd donate to that :)
On my last camino 2 years ago, I recall someone had painted the word "LOVE" on every way marker along the route. I wish someone had caught the perpetrator in the act and shown him/her what to do with the paint....

@Robo
Given your well known charitable nature and your obsession with the camino, I am sure that you know of the ditch pigs, who offer their time and effort to annual camino clean up. The cost of housing, feeding, and transporting them is subsidized by persons who likewise care about the camino, under the supervision of @Rebekah Scott. Or at least, this is how it worked on the one occasion when I was priviledged to assist.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I didn’t say any of those things. I stated my opinions on ALL graffiti and I just think people should be a little more respectful and sensitive to those who may be around them. I could care less who walks caminos. It is not my business. My opinion about how I feel is just my own feelings based on nothing other than that. It doesn’t effect how I behave or walk it how I treat others. It definitely doesn’t effect how I feel on the Camino except maybe when some drunk and noisy person walks into an albergue after everyone is asleep and wakes people up. They don’t wake me up because I have my ear plugs on. Rude and selfishbehavior is just rude and should be respectfully called out when possible on or off the Camino.

If you noticed, I asked you three questions about your post which began with "I agree with you completely about this" referring to Jims' thoughts.

I initiated those questions with a statement regarding clarification of what you were saying.

My comment was not to be critical but to clarify exactly what you were saying in reference to Jims' comment.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
I wasn’t being critical sorry if you thought that just answering you as best I could. Sometimes on these forums and just writing things get
Lost in Translation again sorry for misunderstanding

I saw this on a wall whilst walking the Via de la Plata in 2016. Whilst I generally don’t appreciate graffiti, I love this....

“If nothing lasts forever, I invite you to be my nothing”.

So I guess one persons garbage is (at least in this case, for me) another’s treasure!

Attachments

• 5A1684BD-4838-4AFF-85EF-FDA508B1117A.jpeg
    5A1684BD-4838-4AFF-85EF-FDA508B1117A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
Equal for those who have to mock those who are walking for spiritual reasons-- they don't think about those having spiritual reasons include those who have lost a loved one!
Maybe I've been fortunate, but I don't think I've come across anyone who mocked those who walk for spiritual reasons on a Camino, or even came close to that. Whatever their reasons for walking it, and the spirit in which they've walked it, everyone I encountered recognized they were walking on a pilgrimage route - or seemed to. The judgements I saw tended to flow in the other direction, against those who didn't seem spiritual enough.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Maybe I've been fortunate, but I don't think I've come across anyone who mocked those who walk for spiritual reasons on a Camino, or even came close to that. Whatever their reasons for walking it, and the spirit in which they've walked it, everyone I encountered recognized they were walking on a pilgrimage route - or seemed to. The judgements I saw tended to flow in the other direction, against those who didn't seem spiritual enough.
Yes. That is my impression too. To the point that I was apprehensive about being accepted on the Camino since I'm non religious/non spiritual, based on comments/threads on this forum.

My thought is that most graffiti on the Camino is most likely done by much younger people...just my impression, I have no facts.
My thoughts also.

Many young people these days seem to believe that every time they have a thought or feeling, everyone else wants to know about it.

And any surface or media is OK to display it.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just reflecting on this thread. What is the point of stating you hate graffiti or like / don't mind it? 🤷‍♂️. The OP asked a different question. As I said, just a reflection on what is now a thread of opinions on graffiti and those who create it. Value added??

Just reflecting on this thread. What is the point of stating you hate graffiti or like / don't mind it? 🤷‍♂️. The OP asked a different question. As I said, just a reflection on what is now a thread of opinions on graffiti and those who create it. Value added??

Good point. I think that during the pandemic we have given members more than usual leeway to go off-piste, as an outlet. Perhaps it is time to bring things back to the original topic.

I'm not sure if the original question was ever answered - is this a regular seasonal thing?

I don't have a specific answer except to say - I doubt it because:

(1) there is no overarching body with authority on the Camino
(2) local and municipal authorities do not co-ordinate but sometimes step in to "improve" bits of the path, but I've not seen anything about them taking action on graffiti
(3) volunteer bodies do things ad hoc from time to time (like Reb Scott's Ditch Pigs, who do cleanup along parts of the path).

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.