Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Graffiti - what to do?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
.... because it would have a special place reserved there (and / or in jail) for the hoodlum who is spray-painting this graffiti all over signs, walls, Camino directional markers, etc. on the otherwise stunningly beautiful Camino Primitivo.
That is not a grafiti but the sign that often replaces the yellow arrows on the Primitivo.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That is not a grafiti but the sign that often replaces the yellow arrows on the Primitivo.
It doesn't appear to be an official sign because I saw the officials trying to clean it off two places today, one directly over the the whole front of the Galician mileage/directional marker and the other on a wall. They were grinding it off with a metal brush. I've also seen it on top of yellow arrows.

It doesn't appear to be an official sign because I saw the officials trying to clean it off two places today, one directly over the the whole front of the Galician mileage/directional marker and the other on a wall. They were grinding it off with a metal brush. I've also seen it on top of yellow arrows.
Hummm... I can agree that it does not belong on buildings, etc., bit wjen I walked the P. you could find your way around using either... Maybe someone has decided to "troll it?

The Norte in 2010 had them at regular intervals, remember reading on here that the symbol was for returnees walking their way back home, if that still holds, then it's a thumbs up from me, if not then several months community work cleaning them up would suffice.

Checking your blog every day , enjoying the journey.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
how sad and disappointing....

By the way Michael, still reading your blog. Those images of the mountains of the Primitivo tug at my heart. It always amazes me that despite being sucha small country (I live in Canada!) Spain's geography is so varied, and that with only a couple of pictures one can tell which Camino is shown. The rows of mountains in the distance lulled by the fog... The essence of the Primitivo for me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
.... because it would have a special place reserved there (and / or in jail) for the hoodlum who is spray-painting this graffiti all over signs, walls, Camino directional markers, etc. on the otherwise stunningly beautiful Camino Primitivo.

After finishing a grafitiless del Salvador in 2015, I continued along the Primitivo where I too saw this idiot's tag. It's hard to imagine that someone who is walking the camino would do such a thing. Don't people learn anything from walking the camino, such as how to be humble and less arrogant? Seeing this on the back of a sign is bad enough, but the same idiot also spray painted the stone camino markers. So sad. Another asinine piece of literature I saw was "laufen und saufen", written obviously by a German, Austrian or Swiss. It means drinking (alcohol) and walking. How poetic.

After seeing the defaced camino markers, I thought someone had even gone so far as to push them over as seen on the Hospitaliers Route. Coming around a bend in the trail however, I chanced upon a wild horse that was using a stone camino marker to scratch its backside and then it occured to me that the horses were most likely the culprits.

They are obviously trying to clean up the official Galician mileage / directional pillars. Almost every one we passed today we could still see remnants of the "infinity arrow", neon green arrows and spray-painted yellow arrows on the stone but they appeared to be cleaned off as best as possible and the normal arrow freshly painted.

Note though, that all the arrows (normally) pointed to Santiago. They were not for pilgrims returning home.

Attachments

• IMG_6823.JPG
    IMG_6823.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6826.JPG
    IMG_6826.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Those distance plaques will be stolen for souvenirs with 48 hours, I will predict.
Xunta de Galicia is always busybodying about. Were they spreading gravel everywhere too?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I saw a lot of the arrows with a curly tail on the CF the past few weeks and I do believe that particular symbol is for returnees. Unfortunately there is a lot of black spray defacement as well.

Yes I thought they were an eyesore too.

I walked home on the Norte a couple of years ago and the blue arrows there were for returnees and saved my bacon quite a few times.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It seems like someone has started using the blue infinity symbol on the Primitivo as their monicker, hopefully they will get caught. The infinity symbols that were on the Norte in 2010 were usually on building corners, curbs or underpasses, somewhere were pilgrims going the reverse direction needed a little help and guidance.

I visited the Camino tattoo FB page today and saw that someone has that wiggly arrow tattooed on a foot.

.... because there would be a special place reserved in hell (and / or in jail) for the hoodlum who is spray-painting this graffiti all over signs, walls, Camino directional markers, etc. on the otherwise stunningly beautiful Camino Primitivo.
How funny, I took lots of pictures of the graffiti and I felt it was just a much a part of the scenery as trees, cathedrals, rocks, and anything else. Most of the graffiti was unique art that I was happy to see and take pictures of. A lot of it contained supportive, cheerful words of encouragement. Some didn't, but that's okay, because it reflected someone's pain, political agenda, or mental state -- all a part of the human (and Spanish) landscape. I was actually disappointed that so much graffiti seemed to be whitewashed the closer I got to Santiago, as though the "tourism police" had to clean it up for the pilgrims. I can understand how in some places (private property for example) graffiti is unwelcome, but on the Camino, under highway overpasses outside town, or on the markers, rocks, whatever, I thought most of it was a reflection of some people's need to leave a mark. Personally, I preferred to leave no mark whatsoever, but that's just my way.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The thing that kept me going in the heat of last August was the idea that Ramon was "making spaghetti tonight".
They only graffiti I DID like was the wall at Rabe - KinkyOne's avatar - though that's spoiled by the new gate post in front of it.
I quite admire the was the city council in Logrono tackled the graffiti in the underpass - mask off areas and paint the whole wall gray, take away the masking an you've a trompe l'oeil stained glass window!

Spain has a massive challenge with youth unemployment. A fact which I see as highly related to the large amount of graffiti, especially in towns and cities. Graffiti is a form of expression and protest for those that lack other means to do so. So we should consider the underlying problem, rather than just being outraged by the messy appearance it creates.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Spain has a massive challenge with youth unemployment. A fact which I see as highly related to the large amount of graffiti, especially in towns and cities. Graffiti is a form of expression and protest for those that lack other means to do so. So we should consider the underlying problem, rather than just being outraged by the messy appearance it creates.
When I worked for Dover council there was a problem with keeping an underpass clear. One of our cleansing managers brought a graffiti artist down from London and he got the local school involved. The kids decided what the design would be and he taught they how to spray without getting it all over themselves.
It was quite impressive until somebody "tagged" it with black paint. The school head announced this at assembly and half a dozen kids stood up and pointed at the miscreant who was made to put things right.
Like the artist said - give them ownership, give them pride.

When I walk I have much better things in my mind than thinking that things are ugly. I appreciate every footstep. How terrible it is is not in my meditation.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am going to have to assume that Turk, who wrote "Turk's was here 9/2016" on every mileage pillar from Melide to Santiago was not a poor, 18 year old unemployed fish monger from Valencia. It's the graffiti left behind by pilgrims that I referred to. The "underlying problem" was more likely that his parents didn't bother to teach him simple social skills.

Another form of pilgrim remnants that pissed me off, despite its good intentions, was the stickers that someone put on every mileage marker. Well, I should say that I was pissed off until I found out how easy they were to peel off without leaving a mess. I just wish I figured that out before Lavacolla. After that, I have restored the shells and didn't even use any scaffolding.

Attachments

• IMG_6970.JPG
    IMG_6970.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
The useless advertisements pasted over useful information irritate me more than graffiti, although both are barbaric. I was also irritated to think how many pilgrims it must have required to make a meter-wide hard dirt path through a farmer's crops just to make their camino a mere hundred meters shorter. (And this was only three hundred meters past the place where the farmer had put a barrier and a "stop ruining my crops" sign on another shortcut through the same field.)

The useless advertisements pasted over useful information irritate me more than graffiti, although both are barbaric. I was also irritated to think how many pilgrims it must have required to make a meter-wide hard dirt path through a farmer's crops just to make their camino a mere hundred meters shorter. (And this was only three hundred meters past the place where the farmer had put a barrier and a "stop ruining my crops" sign on another shortcut through the same field.)
Desire paths are as old as mankind. You'll never stop them.
When General Moore (of Coruna fame) was constructing the Shornecliffe army barracks in England his engineers wanted to know where to put the communicating pathways.
Leave it for six months, he ordered, and then we will know where people want to go.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is that on the Frances? I remember a field that everyone was cutting through instead of around it. When I saw it, it was after harvest. I don't remember exactly where it was, though?

Ugh. Humans….

Desire paths are as old as mankind.
So are guard dogs. People have absolutely no excuse, none, for defacing something that doesn’t belong to them, and are irresponsible beyond words to damage other people’s property, especially their livelihood. I hope karma finds everyone who tramples a farmer’s crops, leaves open their livestock gates, or helps themselves to fruit and gives them deep foot blisters, painful knees, and diarrhea.

The rudeness and lack of basic intelligence of “guests” of the good people who live along the Camino is astounding

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is that on the Frances? I remember a field that everyone was cutting through instead of around it. When I saw it, it was after harvest. I don't remember exactly where it was, though?
I’m not a farmer, just a recent transplant to a rural farm/ranch area, but I believe many farmers plant fall/winter crops as well as spring/summer so it’s possible to trample crops through much of the year. Not sure about Spain but I’d just stay out of the fields

I’m not a farmer, just a recent transplant to a rural farm/ranch area, but I believe many farmers plant fall/winter crops as well as spring/summer so it’s possible to trample crops through much of the year. Not sure about Spain but I’d just stay out of the fields
Yeah, wasn't asking for advice on rural living, lol. Was inquiring about the location of the field mentioned in the previous comment.
BTW, I've lived in the country most of my life and have friends and relatives who farm. Well aware of planting seasons, crop rotation and private property laws. To enter ag fields without permission where I live is considered a criminal trespass, and pretty much nobody ever tramples other people's fields. Why would they? In fact, except for that shortcut made by pilgrims I never saw any other pilgrims on any of my Camino journeys entering fields of crops or vineyards. I would say that shortcut is a rare incident. Just like the trash left on the path, graffiti, drunks in albergue, pilgrims who stiff donativos etc are bad actions committed by a tiny percentage of overall pilgrims.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I hope karma finds everyone who tramples a farmer’s crops, leaves open their livestock gates, or helps themselves to fruit and gives them deep foot blisters, painful knees, and diarrhea.
Hey, do you think there might be some tinker juice running in your veins? That’s a hearty curse to lay on the careless and feckless- even if they’ve got it coming 😉

Hey, do you think there might be some tinker juice running in your veins? That’s a hearty curse to lay on the careless and feckless- even if they’ve got it coming 😉
Yeah, I never said I was gentle. No one accidentally pulls fruit from tree or vine to shove into their mouth, or mistakenly climbs over a fence with a “no trespassing” sign. A few days sidelined would give them needed time to reflect, and give the farmers a break as the walkers bus ahead a few stages. Win win.

I think it was between Villamayor de Monjardín and Los Arcos, but looking for it in aerial photos, I couldn't find it. First time I passed it, there was a pile of stones at the point where people had been leaving the path. Crops were completely gone on the "shortcut." Second time, the sign was there instead of the rocks, and there was a new trampled "short cut" across the next corner of the field. The people making the new shortcut had passed the sign asking them not to only minute or two before. Grrr!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think it was between Villamayor de Monjardín and Los Arcos, but looking for it in aerial photos, I couldn't find it. First time I passed it, there was a pile of stones at the point where people had been leaving the path. Crops were completely gone on the "shortcut." Second time, the sign was there instead of the rocks, and there was a new trampled "short cut" across the next corner of the field. The people making the new shortcut had passed the sign asking them not to only minute or two before. Grrr!
Both times I saw it the field was already harvested, just dirt, no crops at all. I could not imagine anyone taking a shortcut through a field of crops. I never saw anybody walk through a field of crops on any of my Caminos. Only the occasional sunflower some silly person went into a field to put a smiley face on.
I suppose the open field lends itself to that temptation that one filled with crops would not. One person does it, the new path is visible and others in the herd follow suit. Not excusing it, simply voicing my theory of how it happens.

Both times I saw it the field was already harvested, just dirt, no crops at all. I could not imagine anyone taking a shortcut through a field of crops. I never saw anybody walk through a field of crops on any of my Caminos. Only the occasional sunflower some silly person went into a field to put a smiley face on.
I suppose the open field lends itself to that temptation that one filled with crops would not. One person does it, the new path is visible and others in the herd follow suit. Not excusing it, simply voicing my theory of how it happens.
The one I saw did have crops, except on the packed path where they had been trampled out. And the sign is evidence the intrusion was unwelcome.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.