• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Graffiti

Time of past OR future Camino
I live next to the Grand Châtenet section
Hi all I live 5minutes from the the route and walk along a part of it at least once a day but this last week I have noticed marker pen graffiti on two route markers.

IMG_20160626_093214_zps5ibvz124.jpg~original

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yeah, I remember a case like that from way back. I was a hospitalera in O Cebreiro then and the Guardia Civil turned up looking for a pilgrim that had signed each way marker with his real name ...
Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yeah, I remember a case like that from way back. I was a hospitalera in O Cebreiro then and the Guardia Civil turned up looking for a pilgrim that had signed each way marker with his real name ...
Buen Camino, SY

Idiot

I assume it wasn't a local for as far as we know we are the only English for 6km that lives here all year.

Mike's-Camino-pics-5.jpg

Near Ponferrada. And I'm a vegetarian. He (why do I assume it was a 'he'?) had also written on the next marker: "Famous last words - 'I didn't know that snake was poisenous.' " Misspelling the word "poisonous" - of course. Tedious prat.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would easily bet on it being a "he". A very rude, inconsiderate and obviously poorly educated "he".
If he was ever prosecuted for the criminal damage, a good punishment would be to hand scrub and clean Camino markers for several kilometers. A bucket, a brush and soap. Sweat equity and elbow grease.

An idiot woman in the US created "art" in a number of national parks in the US and posted them to Instagram.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ations-posting-evidence-crimes-Instagram.html

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Makes the Camino graffiti seem inconsequential.
What may seem relatively inconsequential is still: ugly to look at, is an irritating and lingering reminder of idiocy, if not a crime, and has to be cleaned up. That American woman is a border-line sociopath possessed of zero self-awareness. Hopefully, she's an outlier. Way outlier.

Am I missing something? Not that I think graffiti is ok, but isn't there graffiti on just about every mojon, and many other surfaces, along the Camino? I remember a thread on this Forum last year, I beleive, about Beattles' lyrics that went from surface to surface completing the song. Wasn't there a buff with a Camino graffiti neing sold here once as well? (Never understood why anyone would promote that!)

What is particular about this one?

Another expression of the lack of respect people have for these routes.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Am I missing something? Not that I think graffiti is ok, but isn't there graffiti on just about every mojon, and many other surfaces, along the Camino? I remember a thread on this Forum last year, I beleive, about Beattles' lyrics that went from surface to surface completing the song. Wasn't there a buff with a Camino graffiti neing sold here once as well? (Never understood why anyone would promote that!)

There's graffiti on many but not all markers. Any graffiti on a marker is ugly. Generally, some graffiti is art, but not much of it, IMHO. The photo I posted is an example of sadly egregious stupidity. I guess I'm surprised that so many disaffected, anarchistic folk are present on the Camino. Most peregrinos would have a less egotistical mind set, it seems to me. I'm not saying it's a better one or that angry anarchists have nothing worthwhile to say.

This whole issue won't go away. I've seen countless yellow arrows painted on all kinds of surfaces - trees, pavement, private walls, guardrails, Camino markers(!), etc., etc. When is making a mark useful/acceptable and when is it not?

Yes your right graffiti is everywhere but that does mean we have to accept more where there was none.
Nothing particular about it just as one who has never walked the Way I was surprised at seeing it, I'll know now not to give it a second thought when I get on the Way proper like.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The picture is a waymarker in France, on the voie de Tours, and no, there isn't graffiti on just about every waymarker. I mainly remember the many shaky arrows that people have scratched on them (you see one in the second picture), done by people who had failed to figure out that the position of the waymarker indicates the direction (there is a logic behind the system).
I see.There is so much graffiti in Spain that I was surprised this one would be pointed out. I remember shaking my head in disbeleif when seeing over and over again graffitis of "Om mani padme hum"! Surely someone familiar with that mantra should be sensible enough to know defacing buildings and other property is not acceptable.

... so many disaffected, anarchistic folk ...

It's not just anarchists - years ago at Persepolis, ancient capital of Persia, I read an inscription, chiseled into a building stone: "Lt. ___ _____ , British Expeditionary Force, 1856".

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back