• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gram Weenies

DowtyCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
May-Jn2014
May-Jn 2017
VF Jl-O 2021
Mar-My 2023
Question and request of all you gram weenies.

Q: How much does a compactor trash bag (as used in a pack as a liner) weigh?

Request: What's your favorite gram saving tip(s)?
My contribution -
A pencils weigh less than a pen
Re-usable ty-wraps weigh less than carabiners for attaching things to your pack
AAA Li batteries weigh 7.6g while AAA alkaline batteries weigh 11.5g

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Weight? Who said weight?
This is weight and still lack: water, minimum 2 liters and food for 6 days.DSC_0226.JPG

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

My contribution -
I was reliably informed on this very site that if you 'rolled' your clothes tight to exclude all air, that they would be lighter.

Think about it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Today just a year ago I started the AT

Attachments

• DSC_0233.JPG
    DSC_0233.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

My contribution -
Wow, I didn't know what to expect by the title if your post! Hahaha

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The title of your post made me think I might want to try putting a hot dog between two pieces of graham cracker. Hold the pickle, onion and mustard, of course. In Chicago we NEVER put ketchup on a hot dog!

Thank you for the Li battery tip, much appreciated.

So my not-really-new-or-novel approach for saving in the weight department:
-In January, when I committed to walking in mid-April, I also committed to dropping at least the amount of weight I plan to carry in my backpack. Did I mention I'm an old, overweight guy? So, with help from sympathetic adult children and a more-than-kind-and-tolerant spouse, I have managed to shed the 8 kilos I plan to carry.
-I am trying to resist the urge to take a few things that I might need and wouldn't think of going camping or on weekend hike without like matches, basic tools, a robust first aid kit and full-on sleeping bag to name a few.
-Layering. I'm not packing a coat. My lightweight rain shell is worn as a coat over other layers.

I do agree with the idea that, as much as possible, what I carry should have multiple purposes. I prefer Carabiners to zip ties (have used both), and feel like the Carabiner is more trustworthy, durable and multi-functional; but that's just my own thing.

Thanks for starting this thread and thanks to all for the helpful tips, and the good humor.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A single bar of glycerin soap. For all.
Wash hands, face, to have a shower.
Have a shower, with the bar of soap, with your underwear, so while you have a shower, wash your underwear in the same time.
Economy of weight, a gear for multiple uses.
Saving time, a shower and everything ready.

I don't recommend washing clothes while you shower because to do so takes up extra time in the shower and uses up hot water. There may be fellow pilgrims queued up waiting to use that very shower you are in, happily scrubbing away at your skivvies. There were a few times I stood waiting to get in a shower stall while pilgrims were in them for a very long time. I guess they thought they were at a fancy hotel and heaters magically and instantly filled up and warmed the water just right.
I think every albergue has a wash station for clothes, and oh, don't take forever at those either. Yup, fellow pilgrims waiting to use them as well. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi notion900.
Badass for formidable, or:rolleyes:;)
badass for aggresive.:eek::mad:

The ones I use weight 184 grs or 6.5 ounces. I cut them down a little which reduces the weight to about 140 grs or 5 ounces. That's quite a lot to me, but the bags work really well. I'm looking at the Zpacs Airplane Backpack Case which weighs 3.8 ounces and doubles as a pack case for flying, covering up the straps and stuff that can get caught in the conveyor, and a pack liner. Made of Cuban, it should be very strong, water proof (seams are sealed) and light.

Thanks for the tip on the Li batteries.

I don't recommend washing clothes while you shower because to do so takes up extra time in the shower and uses up hot water. There may be fellow pilgrims queued up waiting to use that very shower you are in, happily scrubbing away at your skivvies. There were a few times I stood waiting to get in a shower stall while pilgrims were in them for a very long time. I guess they though they were at a fancy hotel and heaters magically and instantly filled up and warmed the water just right.shower
I think every albergue has a wash station for clothes, and oh, don't take forever at those either. Yup, fellow pilgrims waiting to use them as well. ;)

That is something that is really rather obvious but seldom mentioned "courtesy for your fellow pilgrims" The resources of any albergue are finite, and that means hot water. There is a fine old naval tradition called a "Pussar Shower" this was primarily used during water rationing and it goes like this: run water, get wet. Turn water off, soap down. Turn water on, rinse. Shower complete and hot water reserved.

And those lithium batteries are hard to find and they aren't cheap. Two AA lithium batteries in my camera could last me a week (at about 80 pictures a day.) When my stockpile ran out I had to make do with alkaline batteries. I had some that would even last the day.

Well, this has been fun.

Some others from my side...

If you journal, be advised that there is lightweight paper and heavy paper.
I'm sure that waterproofing and permithrin(ing) adds weight although I've never done a before and after to know how much. Anyone know?
Safety pins come in all sizes and weights (none of them very much).
Wooden clothes pins are lighter than some plastic ones and don't break as easily.
Carrying a dedicated waterbottle is deadweight. Buy a .5L or .7L plastic waterbottle and refill as required. The plastic is about as thin and light as I can imagine.

My wife has a good multi use item, a rayon sarong. It's a item of clothing of course, but also is used as her pillowcase, a layer on a cold night, and her aftershower wrap.

and finally for me...
Can't really file this under a Gram Weenie item because its a big weight item. Last Camino I found I carried way too much water (about 1.5L). I bet, most days I could have gotten away with 1/2L because the fuente's were so prevalent. If you take less, though, make sure you know you can refill.

I intend to buy a pack of Krispy Creme doughnuts at Sydney Airport. I've always wanted to try them. To save weight I shall then throw away the dough and keep the holes.

Our home is Winston Salem NC. Headquarters of Krispy Kreme. It's still hard to believe our little local donut shop became a worldwide thing.

And those lithium batteries are hard to find and they aren't cheap. Two AA lithium batteries in my camera could last me a week (at about 80 pictures a day.) When my stockpile ran out I had to make do with alkaline batteries. I had some that would even last the day.
I don't disbelieve you, but I'm surprised. My two Li camera batteries lasted the whole 5wks.

Well, this has been fun.

Some others from my side...

and finally for me...
Can't really file this under a Gram Weenie item because its a big weight item. Last Camino I found I carried way too much water (about 1.5L). I bet, most days I could have gotten away with 1/2L because the fuente's were so prevalent. If you take less, though, make sure you know you can refill.

Even on the Mesta? I was under the impression fountains were fewer and further between there.

Even on the Mesta? I was under the impression fountains were fewer and further between there.
No...not on Maseta. But you can buy another plastic bottle and carry it on those days. So for me - this year I'm bringing two .7L bottles and filling them half full where water is plentiful and full when not.

That is something that is really rather obvious but seldom mentioned "courtesy for your fellow pilgrims" The resources of any albergue are finite, and that means hot water. There is a fine old naval tradition called a "Pussar Shower" this was primarily used during water rationing and it goes like this: run water, get wet. Turn water off, soap down. Turn water on, rinse. Shower complete and hot water reserved.
Yes, in the military we called those "ship showers".
If the albergue is full, and people lining up to shower, a "ship shower" is the courteous thing to do. Get in, get out.
Either that, or wait until the initial shower rush has finished and shower later. I noticed that just a couple of hours later, the showers are almost empty.

Over the last week or so I have come to the conclusion that @Mikel Olivares is literally the coolest, most badass guy on this forum.
ummm....I'm gonna have to chime in here. Not disrespecting Mike, but honestly 37 pounds of gear ain't squat. Try 60-80 pounds worth. Ruck. Water. Rations. Weapon. Ammunition. Maybe a mortar base plate, or extra rounds for one. Maybe a radio.
but I was a younger man then.....it seemed much lighter ;)

ummm....I'm gonna have to chime in here. Not disrespecting Mike, but honestly 37 pounds of gear ain't squat. Try 60-80 pounds worth. Ruck. Water. Rations. Weapon. Ammunition. Maybe a mortar base plate, or extra rounds for one. Maybe a radio.

Mark...first, Thanks for your Service.
Second....that doesn't count...you were doing that for work (and pay). Mike did it for FUN! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

not sure you would need the above on a usual day on the Camino.... But each to their own....

not sure you would need the above on a usual day on the Camino.... But each to their own....
Heck no, and didn't say I carried all that crap while walking the Camino. That's just a typical infantry load.
My backpack each time I walked the Camino probably weighed about 12-15 pounds, no more. Typical stuff. Fleece. Rain jacket. Sleeping bag liner. Microfiber towel, etc.....
My post was a response to a previous post where another forum member was being praised for a 37 pound pack on the AT, so I chimed in and wagged it a bit by mentioning loads I carried as a younger dude. That's all. :)

I intend to buy a pack of Krispy Creme doughnuts at Sydney Airport. I've always wanted to try them. To save weight I shall then throw away the dough and keep the holes.

Be careful; Krispy Kremes are quite addictive, especially when they are freshly-made. In the 1960s, my home town had more Krispy Kreme shops than McDonald's restaurants.

Nope, don't throw away the dough -- eat around the holes FIRST, then save them for later!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Try 60-80 pounds worth. Ruck. Water. Rations. Weapon. Ammunition. Maybe a mortar base plate, or extra rounds for one. Maybe a radio.

Bergen, Lightweight Ruck, ARVN Ruck, ALICE, or what? (Since you mentioned the mortar base plate, I'm thinking Lightweight Ruck or ALICE.)

My friend the Force Recon Marine typically carried over 100 pounds. Of course, the number one requirement for Force Recon is that you be certifiably crazy.... :D:D:D

Last edited:
The ones I use weight 184 grs or 6.5 ounces. I cut them down a little which reduces the weight to about 140 grs or 5 ounces. That's quite a lot to me, but the bags work really well. I'm looking at the Zpacs Airplane Backpack Case which weighs 3.8 ounces and doubles as a pack case for flying, covering up the straps and stuff that can get caught in the conveyor, and a pack liner. Made of Cuban, it should be very strong, water proof (seams are sealed) and light.

I use that - it's great.
It multi-functions as a personal tarp/sit-upon at picnic time. Also, I don't use it as a pack liner (I don't use a pack liner at all), but it is great to slip my pack into in the evenings at the albergues. It protects physically against bedbugs, dirt and people stepping on buckles, etc, and in the early morning, I can just quickly & quietly throw everything inside it and creep out to the common room to organize.

..... Some others from my side..... Wooden clothes pins are lighter than some plastic ones and don't break as easily.

Carrying a dedicated waterbottle is deadweight. Buy a .5L or .7L plastic waterbottle and refill as required. The plastic is about as thin and light as I can imagine.

Even lighter than wooden or plastic clothspins - nappy pins[/B].
They are lighter and more secure on the clothsline - protect against anyone accidentally grabbing your clothes off the line. And they secure still damp clothes to your pack while you walk.

And even better than reusing "disposable" water bottles - 1 liter Platypus soft bottles[/B].
They are only 1 oz each. They are super strong and easy to clean. As long as you only put water in them, they resist growth & odor for their lifetime. They roll up small when not in use. I carry 3 of them, so I always have the option of carrying 0 - 3 liters of water, depending on what the day requires. I generally carry 2 liters, one bottle in each external side pocket, and drink using a SmarTube[/B].

Heck no, and didn't say I carried all that crap while walking the Camino. That's just a typical infantry load.
My backpack each time I walked the Camino probably weighed about 12-15 pounds, no more. Typical stuff. Fleece. Rain jacket. Sleeping bag liner. Microfiber towel, etc.....
My post was a response to a previous post where another forum member was being praised for a 37 pound pack on the AT, so I chimed in and wagged it a bit by mentioning loads I carried as a younger dude. That's all. :)

Well, there's another way to shed some weight - a good old fashioned "pissing contest"! :D

Even lighter than wooden or plastic clothspins - nappy pins[/B].
They are lighter and more secure on the clothsline - protect against anyone accidentally grabbing your clothes off the line. And they secure still damp clothes to your pack while you walk.

Even better -- standard safety pins! They do the same things while being lighter, cheaper and easier to find/ replace.... ;)

We've had this conversation before, I think.

-- Glenn (father of one, grandfather of four)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Even better -- standard safety pins! They do the same things while being lighter, cheaper and easier to find.... ;)

And we've had this conversation before, I think.

Have we? Perhaps. Are there ever any truly new conversations around here?

The cheapo plastic headed nappy pins I linked are pretty darn light. And being larger, with colored heads, they are easier to maneuver and keep track of than smaller ones.

Related..... a few years ago, I was pretty much in the (lazy) habit of having a "fix-it" bag I just threw in my pack. It contained a variety of useful items - elastic hair bands, cording, assorted safety pins, needle & thread, superglue, duct tape, binder clips, biners, and assorted ziplocks. Each individual item was light enough in itself, but I didn't weigh the bag, or count/measure out what I had of each thing, or reason what/how much I needed of each (or not needed at all) based on what had actually been used (or not) previously.

When I finally morphed into my current gram-weenie self, I was appalled how much all that crap weighed! Wow, it added up. Even a handful of ziplocks - which feel individually weightless - adds up.

Seems so obvious now. I learned everything the hard way, self-taught..... I just feel lucky to still be alive to share. :)

Rearning safety/diaper/nappy pins. I brought a bunch of the ones with plastic heads. On quite a few of them the plastic part broke. Also, they weren't that great for hanging things on clotheslines that had any sort of slack or incline to them, as everything slid down into one lump. They did work well for pinning damp socks to my backpack. Next time I'll take a few clothes pins along with the safety pins.

Rearning safety/diaper/nappy pins. I brought a bunch of the ones with plastic heads. On quite a few of them the plastic part broke. Also, they weren't that great for hanging things on clotheslines that had any sort of slack or incline to them, as everything slid down into one lump. They did work well for pinning damp socks to my backpack. Next time I'll take a few clothes pins along with the safety pins.

I've never had a problem with them breaking, but definitely the sliding problem. I found I could push the pin through the clothesline itself to anchor, if it was a fiber type line.

Here's something I'm not a gram weenie about. I carry a giant towel. It is a beach towel size. (PackTowl, 5 oz)
Most of my clothing is pretty quick drying already, but..... after hand washing, and a basic water squeeze out, I lay out my (giant) towel, with all my wet clothes spread out on it, and roll it up like a burrito. Then twist hard, both directions. The clothes come out more than half dry already. At that point, I can pretty much just hang them up on my bunk, and they'll be totally dry by morning.

I've never had a problem with them breaking, but definitely the sliding problem. I found I could push the pin through the clothesline itself to anchor, if it was a fiber type line.

Here's something I'm not a gram weenie about. I carry a giant towel. It is a beach towel size. (PackTowl, 5 oz)
Most of my clothing is pretty quick drying already, but..... after hand washing, and a basic water squeeze out, I lay out my (giant) towel, with all my wet clothes spread out on it, and roll it up like a burrito. Then twist hard, both directions. The clothes come out more than half dry already. At that point, I can pretty much just hang them up on my bunk, and they'll be totally dry by morning.
I just bought the same size Packtowl, which I found on clearance. I don't need one quite that big, so I trimmed off a bit from the length and width, to make it about the same dimensions as my standard home bath towel, and it now weighs just 4 ounces. I'm going to use a small piece of the scrap fabric to wrap around my bar of soap to keep it dry in a ziplock baggie.

I just bought the same size Packtowl, which I found on clearance. I don't need one quite that big, so I trimmed off a bit from the length and width, to make it about the same dimensions as my standard home bath towel, and it now weighs just 4 ounces. I'm going to use a small piece of the scrap fabric to wrap around my bar of soap to keep it dry in a ziplock baggie.

That's a good idea - that gives you an instant washcloth too, already soapy. No waste!

I want to keep my towel giant, as is, though. It's a good privacy screen too, hanging over the bunk to dry.
But I have 7 more weeks before I finalize my pack and fly out. That is definitely an area that could fall victim to the last minute panic-shaving of ounces!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So, let's see, let's review on how we can save weight:
Take only two pairs of underwear​
If you collapse at the end of each day:
Throw out a pair of underwear​
Still huffing and puffing at the end of the day:
Remove tag from underwear​
If still uncomfortable:
Get smaller underwear, remove tag​
Still sweating too much:
Remove underwear​
Still not feeling enough like a gram weenie:
Shave​

Hi Mark.
I was young too a lot of years ago.
Thank you for bringing me good memories of the military.
I was Legionario-Paracaidista. I served in a long time in Spanish Western Sahara.
I do not know if you are known for the HALO diploma, taught in Spain for American instructors.
Thanks again for remind me those times.

Attachments

• img008.jpg
    img008.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
Hi Mark.
I was young too a lot of years ago.
Thank you for bringing me good memories of the military.
I was Legionario-Paracaidista. I served in a long time in Spanish Western Sahara.
I do not know if you are known for the HALO diploma, taught in Spain for American instructors.
Thanks again for remind me those times.
Nice...good times, huh?
I never did any HALO training, for alas I am but a mere "leg"...ha ha
:)

€149,-
Our home is Winston Salem NC. Headquarters of Krispy Kreme. It's still hard to believe our little local donut shop became a worldwide thing.
We just finally got a store in Anchorage last year. Expensive but sooooo delicious. Too bad they go straight to my belly in the form of fat. :)

I have a 13 pound pack. At least 2 pounds are items that weigh nothing....

Wow, the true ultralight unicorn - anti-gravity gear.

So do those 2 weightless pounds have an effect on the gear surrounding them in your pack? You know, like the way a Diet Coke cancels out a bacon cheeseburger?

Wow, the true ultralight unicorn - anti-gravity gear.

So do those 2 weightless pounds have an effect on the gear surrounding them in your pack? You know, like the way a Diet Coke cancels out a bacon cheeseburger?
Absolutely :)

sorry.... I was only joking..... And deliberately mis reading your post .......Thinking if somebody carrying the items you mentioned on the Camino would have looked a little strange

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back