• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gran Canaria Camino - wildfire damage problems?

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
A series of domestic problems have put an end to my plans for a long winter Camino this year. I hope to be able to fit in a week or so sometime fairly soon. I have been thinking of returning to Gran Canaria to walk the Camino there for the second time. But last summer there were huge wildfires and from what I can gather parts of those were on the Camino route. Has anyone walked this route since last year's fires? Are there any problems with this Camino because of fire damage? It would be helpful to hear from anyone who has walked it recently. A beautiful and spectacular route.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can't give any information except that our friends from Southern Germany have been singing the praises of the walk to me. They walked it two years ago, so before the wildfires of last summer.

I can't give any information except that our friends from Southern Germany have been singing the praises of the walk to me. They walked it two years ago, so before the wildfires of last summer.
I took this photo at sunset from my bivvy spot on my first walk. Perhaps that shows something of why your German friends were so pleased with their experience.
canaria.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I hiked on it just 1 month before wildfires, but I'll ask to a pilgrim that i met on CP da Costa. He's living in Gran Canaria.

Have you considered Tenerife?
I have only walked in the hills to the north of Santa Cruz, which is where the Camino ends - The natural park at the northern tip of the island is spectacularly beautiful. If you were to walk the Camino de Santiago de Tenerife, I would recommend extending your walk for a few of days to explore that area.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was aware of the route but hadn't really given it much thought. I will do that thinking now. Thanks! Is it a fully waymarked route or more of a map-reading exercise?
I saw one or two camino markers but I didn't walk the route. I can't tell you how well marked it is in the hills. My walks around Teide Anaga National Park were well signposted. Basically most of the walks in Teide Anaga are climbs (or descents) in steep gorges, along the paths that farmers used to carry their wares to market ... very easy to follow. The touristy towns on the island were a bit naff, but Santa Cruz had some nice parts and in the countryside, the scenery is spectacular.

IMG_1917.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1919.jpg
    IMG_1919.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1924.jpg
    IMG_1924.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1932.jpg
    IMG_1932.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1935.jpg
    IMG_1935.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1941.jpg
    IMG_1941.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1942.jpg
    IMG_1942.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
There seems to be very little information online for the Gran Canaria Camino, is it well marked and how is it for places to stay.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There seems to be very little information online for the Gran Canaria Camino, is it well marked and how is it for places to stay.
Generally the marking was good when I walked but I managed to miss a path junction and ended up by finishing on an alternative marked trail. No complaints though - it was stunning in its own right. I believe that there are a couple more accommodation options now than in 2017 but not in albergue style. I took advantage of the mild climate to sleep outdoors in a bivvy bag and so accommodation wasn't high in my thinking.

A series of domestic problems have put an end to my plans for a long winter Camino this year. I hope to be able to fit in a week or so sometime fairly soon. I have been thinking of returning to Gran Canaria to walk the Camino there for the second time. But last summer there were huge wildfires and from what I can gather parts of those were on the Camino route. Has anyone walked this route since last year's fires? Are there any problems with this Camino because of fire damage? It would be helpful to hear from anyone who has walked it recently. A beautiful and spectacular route.
While I've not walked there, I was reading today about a Saharan sandstorm hitting the islands today! What next?

They hit Puertoventura yesterday which meant I was "forced" to watch the rugby in an Irish bar.

SHMBO agreed it was the best place to be in a sand storm - Still gritty between my teeth today though 😜

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
While I've not walked there, I was reading today about a Saharan sandstorm hitting the islands today! What next?
After a fine dust that covers all the land? Boils. Then a thunderstorm of hail and fire.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back