• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Granada or Seville

• Thread starter Former member 31048
  • Start date
F

Former member 31048

Hi. More reading on VdlP and see that some start in Granada and others in Seville. It seems the start from Granada is particularly difficult.

Also any thoughts on joining Frances in Astorga or taking the other route?

Your insights greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Jenny

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Starting in Astorga is a great two week camino. There is bus service from the Madrid airport which takes you through lots of territory that you do not see when walking the Camino.

Starting in Astorga is a great two week camino. There is bus service from the Madrid airport which takes you through lots of territory that you do not see when walking the Camino.

Thank you. I will definitely be walking - just not sure whether to start in Granada or Seville - and to join back up with the Camino Frances in Astorga. The good thing is I would not have to make that decision (re Astorga) until well into the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Jenny,
I already covered the Sanabrés/Astorga question in your other thread.

You will find that most of us started out in Sevilla - the pilgrim infrastructure and waymarking is good. The Camino from Granada through Córdoba and on to Mérida (to join up with the VdlP) is known as the Camino Mozárabe and from what I have heard and read is a much less travelled route with few pilgrim accommodations (need to find more expensive alternatives). If you read Spanish the Amigos in Córdoba have quite a lot of information on their website:http://www.caminomozarabe.es/index.php. It takes about 2 weeks to complete.

If you wanted to make the VdlP longer you could also walk the Vía Augusta from Cádiz to Sevilla: http://www.mundicamino.com/rutas.cfm?id=68 which takes about a week.

Maybe someone who has done one of these routes recently can jump in. I would be interested in hearing more about both of them.
Cheers,
LT

Just spend quite some time reading threads on this forum on the Camino Mozárabe and particularly about the section Granada-Córdoba on this site: http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/camino-mozarabe.htm. I must say that it sounds quite tempting...starting at the Alhambra in Granada, walking through undulating olive groves leading you to the Mezquita in Córdoba then on to Mérida...hmmm there may be a new contender...

The overall consensus is that the terrain is tougher than the initial stages out from Sevilla which are pretty much flat except for the climb right before Almadén de la Plata. What concerns me more at this point are two points: 1) the lack of reasonably priced lodging (I found the VdlP up until Zamora more expensive than the Francés but the Mozárabe appears to be another step up) and 2) the possibiliy of being the only pilgrim walking is quite real.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Consider starting in Malaga and continue to Fisterre making it a coast to coast as well.
Oh I like this idea. Has any one done this?

Hi Jenny
In 2012 I walked from Seville, by the time I got to Zamora I felt quite isolated as all my pilgrim friends had left or were a day or so ahead or behind. I decided I needed English speakers and company so went via Astorga.
This year I was pulled back to Zamora by forces unknown and joined with many wonderful pilgrims walking the Sanabres. I loved this Camino and would advise you take that left turn.
My friend walked the Mozarabe last year at this time and found it hard,hot with no other pilgrims. She has many posts on the forum under Alexandra12
Whichever way you decide,Buen Camino
Heather

Hi Jenny
In 2012 I walked from Seville, by the time I got to Zamora I felt quite isolated as all my pilgrim friends had left or were a day or so ahead or behind. I decided I needed English speakers and company so went via Astorga.
This year I was pulled back to Zamora by forces unknown and joined with many wonderful pilgrims walking the Sanabres. I loved this Camino and would advise you take that left turn.
My friend walked the Mozarabe last year at this time and found it hard,hot with no other pilgrims. She has many posts on the forum under Alexandra12
Whichever way you decide,Buen Camino
Heather
Hi Jenny,
I'm Heather's friend who walked the Mozarabe to Finisterre via the Sanabres last year. Yes, the Mozarabe was very difficult and very lonely-----an amazing life experience but certainly no walk in the park. I see you are from Sydney----I live in Perth, so if you send me a PM maybe I could chat to you by phone.
Sandra

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I haven't done the Mozarabe, but I do like the walk from Sevilla to Merida. And I'd definitely say to head left through the Sanabres rather than hooking up with the Frances. The Frances is the Frances. If you want the real VDLP experience, hop onto the Sanabres and go up through Ourense. There are many wonderful things to see and do, not the least of which is the Oseira monastery and the springs in Ourense, which you can access via a cute little train ride. Oh, and the Sanabria region is awesome.

Oh I like this idea. Has any one done this?
There are more routes like this if you start in:
- Monestir de Sant Pere de Rodes,
- Barcelona,
- Tarragona,
- Sant Jaume de Enveja,
- Valencia,
- Alicante,
- Malaga,
- Cadiz,
- Huelva,
- Lisbona.
:)

Ultreia!

Hi. More reading on VdlP and see that some start in Granada and others in Seville. It seems the start from Granada is particularly difficult.

Jenny

Jenny: If you haven't read it, there's a very good book by Tony Kevin called 'Walking the Camino' (2007), which recounts his experience on the VdlP, starting from Granada. As you indicate, the early stages sound demanding. I walked from Seville to Carceres in April/May 2010 and none of it was difficult, other than a couple of tricky river crossings. The weather was near-perfect. There were few other peregrinos, and sometimes the distances between facilities are longer than you'd prefer. Some of the larger places are wonderful - Seville, Merida, Carceres, Salamanca - and some of the villages - eg Torremejia and Plasencia - are fascinating. People seem divided about the open spaces of Extremadura; personally, I loved that section. I enjoyed the whole thing a great deal but it's very different from the Frances.
Buen Camino, wes.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello, I have done both Granada and Seville. Granada this year and Seville last year. I started both around the same time in mid Feb. Seville terrific great weather. Granada this year first three days nice and then rain for 5 weeks. The problem is not the getting wet bit, it is the floods. A lot of Camino Mozarabe involves crossing streams and rivers, they were totally flooded. Every day I had two or three diversions sometimes way out of the track. No albergues on Camino Mozarabe (except one or two). Stayed in Hostels which are like 2 star hotels 25 euro +. Have a look at my account in this forum on live on the camino around mid to late Feb. Did not meet one Pilgrim on Granada route.

I have since walked France gr 10 and Stevenson way and part of a pilgrim route Regordane gr 700 and stayed in the lovely Monastery of Notre Dame de Neiges. I have a blog with heavy emphasis on photography. www.dermotdolan.blogspot.ie

Thanks Nalod, your timing is perfect. I have been surfing the net and reading all the threads about the Mozárabe as I was thinking of walking Granada-Córdoba after Christmas. But the lack of albergues and pilgrims has put me a bit off. I think that I would rather attempt this during good/warm weather.

Hello, I have done both Granada and Seville. Granada this year and Seville last year. I started both around the same time in mid Feb. Seville terrific great weather. Granada this year first three days nice and then rain for 5 weeks. The problem is not the getting wet bit, it is the floods. A lot of Camino Mozarabe involves crossing streams and rivers, they were totally flooded. Every day I had two or three diversions sometimes way out of the track. No albergues on Camino Mozarabe (except one or two). Stayed in Hostels which are like 2 star hotels 25 euro +. Have a look at my account in this forum on live on the camino around mid to late Feb. Did not meet one Pilgrim on Granada route.

I have since walked France gr 10 and Stevenson way and part of a pilgrim route Regordane gr 700 and stayed in the lovely Monastery of Notre Dame de Neiges. I have a blog with heavy emphasis on photography. www.dermotdolan.blogspot.ie
Wow you sure are a walker and have the Camino disease. My congratulations!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Jenny

Hello jenny,

Definitely do the vdlp through sanabres to ourense. Or you could even cut across to portugal and then come back into spain from braganza to go to sdc.

Buen camino and god bless.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back