• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Granada to SDC

D

Deleted member 397

I am walking this route early May 2008 and was wondering whether anyone else had done this route. I walked from Seville last year so I'm familiar with Merida onwards.I have the Raju book

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Omar,

Tony Kevin, a former Australian diplomat, has recently published a book "Walking the Camino" covering his walk of this route in May 2006. He started from Granada. I have a copy if you want to borrow it

Donovan

Donovan
Thanks for the info-it seems that he started about the same time, May '06, from Granda as I started from Seville. Thanks for the offer but I will buy a copy-did you buy it on line from scribe or did you find it in the shops?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
OK. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did. I bought it from my local bookshop (Beaumaris Books) $32.95
ISBN is 9781921215445 (pbk)

Hi Omar - most good book stores stock this book (My Camino), I have found it in Angus and Robertson, Dymocks and in Borders, plus my local, non franchised, book store also stocks it. There may also be transcripts of radio interviews from the ABC - he (Tony Kevin) has done rather a lot of them over the past 6 months or so too. Hope you enjoy the book. Cheers, Janet

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will make this part 1 as I'm not sure if anyone is that interested-and whether the photos I've selected will copy
I thought I would offer a few comments about this route now that I'm back. I used the Alison Raju Cicerone press book and have a file of emendments/erros etc-if anyone is interested I can email it separately. One great advantage of leaving from Granada is spending a few days in this beautiful city-the Alhambra really is spectacular. I stayed near the cathedral in a quiet square where the staff were helpful-they spoke to the local santiago association who faxed a metre + long info on the camino-alas(for me) in Spanish. The guide book said that there was no acom availble in the first town-Moclin but the ayutamiento were willing to find something but I had to arrive before 2pm. This necessitated my earliest departure ever-6.30 am. As luck would have it the very first house has spacious rooms for 25 euro. The last few kms up to Moclin are VERY steep. One feature of the stretch between Granada and Merida is that there are no albergues which can make it a bit expensive-especially if travelling solo. Having said that most hostals/hotels were between 18-45 euros-the latter was for the only left which had a 'matrimonial bed'
In Alcaudete, a few days later, I met the only other walker for the whole 403 kms to merida-Marigold Fox in the hotel.We talked for a few minutes-I asked if she would like a beer but she wanted to explore the town-different priorites I guess!
As a general comment the waymarking is OK but new road construction and errors in the book did lead to several 'detours'-one leading through muddy vines to peter out among rocks.
Another highlight of this camino is Cordoba-a bit of a shock after the isolation of the previous week but the sights are magnificent-the Mesquita/Cathedral especially.
In Villaharta, as luck would have it, I was wandering into town with nobody around when a woman called me over-luckily she was from the ayuntamiento and organised for me to stay in the sports depot. Fortunately this was a small room with a heater-the weather had with some exceptions been cold and wet. The next day was a long 38km stretch with no facilities at all. I started at 8.30 and after half an hour the sky cleared and revealed beautiful countryside with no buildings or sounds-magic.
Along this stretch were several streams that needed crossing and one funny incident with dogs. The rural spanish dogs seem to be semi wild and a breed that is a cross between a horse and the hound of the baskervilles. This time this ferocious beast came hurtling towards me barking wildly but just in front of it was a fence so I assumed it would stop--but it came sailing over it towards me but stopped several meters away a bit startled when I barked back.
Another highlight was Campanario where the person in charge of the sports depot had arranged to meet me at 5pm. He turned up on time and was there to let me in and teach the local school girls basketball-after which he asked if I minded being asked questions from the girls-they asked why we wear black at weddings(!) and whether we had mobile phones in Australia. He then took me around town to show me the highlights.

Attachments

• Mozarabe 2008 146 (600 x 450).jpg
    Mozarabe 2008 146 (600 x 450).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 719
  • Mozarabe 2008 078 (600 x 450).jpg
    Mozarabe 2008 078 (600 x 450).jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 717
  • Mozarabe 2008 195 (600 x 450).jpg
    Mozarabe 2008 195 (600 x 450).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 719

Most read last week in this forum

Hello fellow pilgrims. I will start walking the Camino Mozárabe from Almería on 5th April 2024 and just wonder whether there is anybody else there around that date with the same objective?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.