Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Grandas de Salime albergue in late October (or another place to stay)

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
As I am planning out the camino, I run into a snag. There are no “in case of the emergency” hotels in the area and I can’t get a response from local albergues - emailed 3 and none responded. Does anyone know which albergues are open in late October until November? And what is theirs contact info for someone who doesn’t speak Spanish? Please help.

Kind regards…

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you haven't already, make sure to take a look at Dave's spreadsheet, which he updated at the beginning of summer. Lots of great lodging info with contact emails, though I would double check even if they are listed as open (because Oct/Nov is getting late in the season and some will be closed)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
All good suggestions above. We stayed in Hotel La Barra in Grandas.

Regarding your lack of Spanish (me too) I can send you privately my one pager which I carry with me which has all the words and phrases I need for greetings, accommodation, food etc. I find it easier / quicker to use than trying to translate with phone etc.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Katherine
It is exactly 10 years since I walked this path, so any info I give is worth double checking, but an idea nonetheless...
The albergue at Castro, 5km up the road from Grandas was one of the nicest places I've ever stayed at.
https://www.gronze.com/asturias/castro-grandas-salime/albergue-juvenil-castro
Sadly the big gentle dog that slept on the front step (and whom you had to take a big stride to step over) has surely passed on by now.
And whether the locals still enjoy playing cards in the front/dining room I don't know. But we found it to be a serene place with the warmest kindest hospitality. Somewhere to look out on the mountains and reflect.
The settlement is also famous for the archeological digs there https://www.turismoasturias.es/en/d...ones-museograficas/museo-del-chao-de-samartin
Cheers, tom

Attachments

• P1030659.jpeg
    P1030659.jpeg
    785.8 KB · Views: 36
Hi Katherine
It is exactly 10 years since I walked this path, so any info I give is worth double checking, but an idea nonetheless...
The albergue at Castro, 5km up the road from Grandas was one of the nicest places I've ever stayed at.
Sadly the big gentle dog that slept on the front step (and whom you had to take a big stride to step over) has surely passed on by now.
And whether the locals still enjoy playing cards in the front/dining room I don't know. But we found it to be a serene place with the warmest kindest hospitality. Somewhere to look out on the mountains and reflect.
The settlement is also famous for the archeological digs there https://www.turismoasturias.es/en/d...ones-museograficas/museo-del-chao-de-samartin
Cheers, tom
Ah, I remember him. I was sat with a beer watching the world go by when he decided to sit on my foot. Thankfully the Hospi/bartender noticed my predicament and brought me another beer….

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Katherine
Cheers, tom
I stayed here as well in 2016; it was the following day. A very lovely experience as well.
Screenshot_20211011-154712~2.png

I stayed here as well in 2016; it was the following day. A very lovely experience as well.
Chrissy, thank you for the lovely pics - really brought back fond memories of that front/dining room.
In return I attach a picture that I saw posted on the noticeboard there.
Katherine, apologies for slightly hijacking your thread, but this gives a little flavour of why we love the camino. Also here you have a useful elevation map between Tineo and Castro - tells you pretty much all you need to know (the steepness down from the wind turbine is slightly exaggerated..).
The note at the end translates roughly as 'If you meet three old Dutchmen, do not (like gremlins) feed them alcohol after midnight'

Attachments

• Castro notice.jpeg
    Castro notice.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 26
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Chrissy, thank you for the lovely pics - really brought back fond memories of that front/dining room.
Katherine, apologies for slightly hijacking your thread, but this gives a little flavour of why we love the camino. Also here you have a useful elevation map between Tineo and Castro - tells you pretty much all you need to know (the steepness down from the wind turbine is slightly exaggerated..).
The note at the end translates roughly as 'If you meet three old Dutchmen, do not (like gremlins) feed them alcohol after midnight'
Enjoyed reading these memories a lot! And what a lovely drawing! It reminded me that this is probably the hardest part of the journey in regards to the climb - how did it feel? Maybe it looks scarier than it is. At this point my own shadow intimidates me ahead of the journey. Feel free to add more to this conversation or provide any tips or reassurances :)

We’re you one of the three? Or just keeping an eye on the gremlins? 🧐

All good suggestions above. We stayed in Hotel La Barra in Grandas.

Regarding your lack of Spanish (me too) I can send you privately my one pager which I carry with me which has all the words and phrases I need for greetings, accommodation, food etc. I find it easier / quicker to use than trying to translate with phone etc.
I’d love that! Is there private messaging? I’m new to this site and not sure how to navigate it

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As I am planning out the camino, I run into a snag. There are no “in case of the emergency” hotels in the area and I can’t get a response from local albergues - emailed 3 and none responded. Does anyone know which albergues are open in late October until November? And what is theirs contact info for someone who doesn’t speak Spanish? Please help.

Kind regards…
I have sent WhatsApp messages to both the Municipal Albergue El Salvador and the Hotel La Barra. Both responded immediately, and both will be open.

If you haven't already, make sure to take a look at Dave's spreadsheet, which he updated at the beginning of summer. Lots of great lodging info with contact emails, though I would double check even if they are listed as open (because Oct/Nov is getting late in the season and some will be closed)

Thank you

Does anyone know which albergues are open in late October until November?
I just got a third WhatsApp response. The albergue Porta de Grandas will close at the end of October. So that leaves you with the other two I suggested in my earlier post — the municipal albergue and the Hotel La Barra, both open.

I know that some forum members have strong feelings about not using WhatsApp (owned by Facebook, I believe), but it is a pretty awesome way to be in contact with accommodations along the Camino.

The three I texted in Grandas all responded quickly — two almost instantaneously, and the private albergue within about 8 minutes.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just got a third WhatsApp response. The albergue Porta de Grandas will close at the end of October. So that leaves you with the other two I suggested in my earlier post — the municipal albergue and the Hotel La Barra, both open.

I know that some forum members have strong feelings about not using WhatsApp (owned by Facebook, I believe), but it is a pretty awesome way to be in contact with accommodations along the Camino.

The three I texted in Grandas all responded quickly — two almost instantaneously, and the private albergue within about 8 minutes.
Thank you for doing this for me. Having this said, if I arrive prior to the end of October, it could be an option yes? It depends on my walking pace and stages, but I may make it here still before the month ends… is this where you stayed?

I didn’t try the WhatsApp - I’ll download the app, now. It may come helpful. Thank you

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How interesting- thank you. Taking a note of that.
The archaeological digs (a hill fort/castro from the Bronze Age) is currently undergoing renovation and is closed. The museum is open. Info here: http://castrochaosamartin.esy.es/?lang=en

Thank you for doing this for me. Having this said, if I arrive prior to the end of October, it could be an option yes? It depends on my walking pace and stages, but I may make it here still before the month ends… is this where you stayed?

Yes Porta de Grandas said its last day is October 31. I have not stayed there. It is at the entrance to the town, a little out of the center, but Grandas is a very small place.

I have stayed in Hotel La Barra (fine), municipal albergue (fine), and also out in Castro, 6 km further on from Grandas in the Hotel Castro San Martin. This last place is not really a hotel, it’s several rooms in Begoña’s house. It’s fine but nothing special. If you are going to walk to Castro and are ok with staying in albergues, the albergue there is very nice. I haven’t slept in it but I have spent several hours in their outdoor ”café” and the food looked good.

Enjoyed reading these memories a lot! And what a lovely drawing! It reminded me that this is probably the hardest part of the journey in regards to the climb - how did it feel? Maybe it looks scarier than it is. At this point my own shadow intimidates me ahead of the journey. Feel free to add more to this conversation or provide any tips or reassurances :)
The Primitivo is up and down, but as long as you are in reasonable condition and don't attempt taking half of your home life with you in a hefty pack, then it should be fine. People here on the forum often point out that it's the steep downhill that is more problematic and takes a bit more care. That downhill path on the way down to the reservoir at Grandas is a good example.
We’re you one of the three? Or just keeping an eye on the gremlins? 🧐
Me? always blissfully asleep by the time the gremlins awake 🤫

This was one of my absolute favorite places to stay on the Primitivo. The views from their patio were outstanding and the food and our room were both excellent!
I loved this hotel. Such a great beautiful place and I was taken good care of. Walked the uphill 5 km into Grandas proper the next morning when it was cooler and I was rested.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I loved this hotel. Such a great beautiful place and I was taken good care of. Walked the uphill 5 km into Grandas proper the next morning when it was cooler and I was rested.
I agree! Yes, after the walk up to Grandas the next morning, I was doubly glad I'd enjoyed my lovely stay at the hotel...no regrets!

I’d love that! Is there private messaging? I’m new to this site and not sure how to navigate it
Hi Katherine, I've started a 'conversation' with you and sent you the Spanish words and phrases 'one pager'. Depending on your settings, you may receive an email to tell you I've started the conversation. If not, when you log in to the forum, the small envelope symbol at the top right of the menu bar (next to the bell) will show you have a conversation post. Best wishes

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back