• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Granon - monastery open?

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2022)
I'm trying to phone the albergue at Granon but nobody answers. Is it open? I have phoned several times yesterday and today. I really would like to stay there and experience the mass etc. Does anyone know if it is still closed?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In Granon the refuge San Juan Bautista is indeed a very special place and they always seem to have room for all. Do try to get there early. However if it is overflowing or you do not wish to sleep on a mat this hostel nearby is another choice.

Good luck and Buen camino.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Had a senior moment and forgot to tell you that San Juan Bautista is a donativo (donation but not free) albergue and also does not accept reservations.

We were told as hospitaleros that we never turn anyone away and the door is always open. Enter behind the church at the bell tower door and climb the steps. You sign yourself in and will be shown where you can sleep. It is a simple albergue with a communally prepared meal. There is a pilgrim mass with blessing and a meditation time before bed. All optional, a highlight of the CF for many. Staffed by volunteers and it is a privilege to be chosen to serve at the Queen of Albergues as it is known among hospitaleros.

Edited to say we never turn anyone away.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you so much everyone. It would mean so much to me to stay there. My mother passed away on the first day of my walk from St Jean and I am so sad. I need some peace and reflection.
It is good place, but there may not be a lot of peaceful times in the actual albergue. Usually singing and lively conversation in the day and during dinner. Go to the church or choir loft for quiet contemplation.

It is a place with a very inspiring spirit, the spirit of the camino, one of my best experience on this camino, I was there on the 3 of april. after you could also go Tosantos donativo one of my strongest experience…ans for more peace if you give yourself the time there is the San Pedro de Cardeñas monastery, close to Burgos silence, silence silence and inner light to be in contact with your mother

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We were told as hospitaleros that we never turn anyone away and the door is always open. Enter behind the church at the bell tower door and climb the steps. You sign yourself in and will be shown where you can sleep. It is a simple albergue with a communally prepared meal. There is a pilgrim mass with blessing and a meditation time before bed. All optional, a highlight of the CF for many. Staffed by volunteers and it is a privilege to be chosen to serve at the Queen of Albergues as it is known among hospitaleros.

Edited to say we never turn anyone away.
It was my first posting as a hospi back in 2012. I was told that Anaï posts novatos/as (first timers) there to be sure that they return to serve another year. It worked as both myself and my fellow hospitalera went on to serve in many other albergues.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you so much everyone. It would mean so much to me to stay there. My mother passed away on the first day of my walk from St Jean and I am so sad. I need some peace and reflection.
Like you I agonised over walking the camino as my mother continued her slow deterioration.
She died the day I arrived in Castrojeriz. I walked the meseta and wrote her eulogy in my head then from Leon flew home to Australia for her funeral and returned 6 days later to finish my walk.
My time on the meseta was most precious. I would never have had that much time at home to reflect in her life and our complex relationship. With hindsight it was such a blessing despite the sadness of her death.
Thinking of you in this shared experience.

I did stay at Granon and at Tosantos and I have to say these were two of the most incredible and memorable experiences of my Camino. Indeed the welcome I received when entering the hospital de Peregrinos at Granon reduced me to tears. The unbridled love and care was extraordinary. I cannot put into words how this affected me. Just to say that my battered soul and spirit were gently soothed and restored to some semblance of what they had been. As for Tosantos - I had not wanted to stay another night on the floor and had high ideas of private rooms and a bath. Once again the Camino decided what I needed and so I found myself at Tosantos regardless. At which point I actually felt I had joined my family. As I laid the table and helped prepare the communal meal I was put in mind of many family meals in my life. Later on as we attended the prayer service I was almost overcome with the love and care devoted to us pilgrims and all pilgrims past and present.
So grateful for these wonderful donativos and all that they provide. They have restored my faith and given me a strength I thought I no longer had.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back