• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Granon

yael

Yael
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2017
Im about 10 km from Gronon. Any body slept at the manicipal albergue at Granon the last night? Was it very cold there? How early one should get there in order to have a bed? Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Im about 10 km from Gronon. Any body slept at the manicipal albergue at Granon the last night? Was it very cold there? How early one should get there in order to have a bed? Thanks!

There is no municipal in Grañon only the donativo paroquial San Juan Bautista , the private donativo Casa de las Sonrisas, a private one called Ave de Paso and some Casa Rurales.

https://www.gronze.com/rioja/granon

The Paroquial is not to be missed imho . They have very simple mattrasses but also blankets.

And do not forget : donativo does not mean free. Give what you can miss.

I was asking on that place actuallly. It was not cold there? Is that place really that nice? Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Im staing in that straing place, about 10 km before Granon and actually made a reservation for a place that should be nice, about 20 km from here, and my question is whether tostik to my plan and rhythm or change it just because of that albergue experience...

But i have not been to that albergue, thats why im asking these that are ahead of me ;)

I didn't stay at the Parochial albergue in Grañon, and I had two perfectly wonderful Caminos, so it's not absolutely necessary, though I know that it's a highlight of some people's Camino.

Im staing in that straing place, about 10 km before Granon and actually made a reservation for a place that should be nice, about 20 km from here, and my question is whether tostik to my plan and rhythm or change it just because of that albergue experience...

I don't think I would alter my walking for the Granon experience, although many plan their walking in order to stay there. I understand there is excellent camaraderie, and some special bonding events--passing candles, sharing, time with other like minds.

To me also what makes an albergue a good one depends on my mood of that day, which group of fellow pilgrims you meet in that particular albergue and especially the hospi at that moment.

On the Frances I stayed in two different years in the same albergue ( not Grañon ) and although the owner was the same and as nice on both occasions I felt different the second time but that was because I was in a bad mood and the pilgrims that night were in a party flow where I was not. So you never can tell.

I enjoyed my stay at San Juan Bautista. The "beds" are thick plastic mattresses on the floor, but they are quite comfortable. I don't remember blankets, but I was there in May 2016 and my sleeping system was enough to keep me warm. If they are very full, you may be sleeping very close to your neighbours. I had a spot near the wall, so I only had someone on my left side. The communal meal was excellent, one of the nicest I had along the Camino. There are photos on their Facebook page.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stayed at the parroquial donativo in May 2015. I had not planned to do so, but it became one of my cherished pilgrim memories. You will not have this experience in too many other albergues along the Frances. However, you must be willing to sleep on the mats on the floor, share in meal preparation and clean up, and walk a distance to hang your clothes to dry. Stone church towers are cold at night, and there are no blankets. I wore every piece of clothing I had. AND, I am so thankful that I did not skip this albergue!

This albergue, within the church of San Juan Bautista, is VERY special. Open all day its sign reads “Welcome pilgrim make
this your home”. The handsome common room has a fireplace and comfortable
furnishing. Above on a continuous platform are mats for pilgrims' sleeping bags. Kitchen and toilets are new and well equipped. One can
really relax.
Everything is done to make each pilgrim feel at home. Hospitaleros are always warm
and helpful while the communal meals are most pleasant. This is
authentic caritas. Long may it last. Each time I have been there I have wanted to stay forever!

This albergue, within the church of San Juan Bautista, is VERY special. Open all day its sign reads “Welcome pilgrim make
this your home”. The handsome common room has a fireplace and comfortable
furnishing. Above on a continuous platform are mats for pilgrims' sleeping bags. Kitchen and toilets are new and well equipped. One can
really relax.
Everything is done to make each pilgrim feel at home. Hospitaleros are always warm
and helpful while the communal meals are most pleasant. This is
authentic caritas. Long may it last. Each time I have been there I have wanted to stay forever!

Together with Tosantos!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
To have stayed in the albergue at San Juan Bautista in GRanon I count among the blessings of my life.
I have stayed there three times and hope I live to have the privilege of staying there again.
May God bless each and every hospiladero and hospiladera who have worked so hard to keep that wonderful spirit of the Camino so alive.

A lot of people have described the albergue in Grañon as a highlight of their Camino and one of the most special albergues they stayed at. My son and I stayed there last summer (2016). There was a lot to like about it. The hospitaleros were very welcoming and there was a strong communal ambiance. We enjoyed the communal meal and the non-denominational service afterwards in the balcony overlooking the church. That said, sleeping conditions were quite rustic. You'll be on a mat on the floor without any sort of sheets or pillow. My son found that it really caused his allergies to act up. For both of us, it was certainly one of the least restful sleeps on our pilgrimage. I would still say it was worth staying in this albergue, or the similar one I hear is in Tosantos. I can see why people find them so special. But I couldn't imagine staying in similar albergues every night.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
. That said, sleeping conditions were quite rustic. .

That made me laugh out loud! The first time I stayed there, as we climbed the steps to the common room, one of my pilgrim friends said 'have you seen where we are sleeping tonight?' :eek: I thought 'no, not yet :rolleyes:)
On our way up we had passed a room with gym mattresses on the floor and I thought 'oh, they do meditation or something' :D
Anyway, that was the bedroom :cool: for the early risers, the others who wanted to sleep in were upstairs....
A fabulous experience but I couldn't describe it... You have to live it to understand. :)

Camino 2014 2014-05-22 006.JPG
Needless to say we did not stay at Granon. But we had the same wonderful experience that is talked about here when we got to Tosantos.
We also had lots of great communal meals when we invited others to cook and eat with us. There is much talk about how good or otherwise the hospis are - and there is no doubt that some are very special and facilitate a wonderful experience for those passing through - but what is exciting is to realise that we too can be the initiators of hospitality and take that with us along the camino and away from the camino afterwards.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I spent a night there last week. I think Tallan described it best. Keep in mind that much of the "experience" comes from what you bring to it. They provide the environment, the opportunity, and you with your fellow pilgrims can make the magic happen. For me it was a bit of a challenge because of my difficulties in ignoring the disruptive consequences of the guests who had too much wine before dinner.

Granon is a special place. But have they got a stamp yet?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
CPAP possible in San Juan Bautista? In other words, can you plug something in near your mattress? Hoping so (but not optimistic).

@tjb1013 Yes, you can ;-) The parish room has multiple outlets, the upstairs dormitory has some and you can always bring your mattress down to the dinning room which has also several as a last resort. Buen Camino, SY

PS Just make sure the hospitaler@s know about your need and they will help you!

It is hard to top the news that my blisters are offering their last gasps, but this is close. Gracias @SYates !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@habanerocat I think that most people here are talking about the parish albergue in Grañon . The private albergue Casa de las Sonrisas is the one without a sello. Last year Ernesto was suggesting that people ask for one in the bar just down the street.

@habanerocat I think that most people here are talking about the parish albergue in Grañon . The private albergue Casa de las Sonrisas is the one without a sello. Last year Ernesto was suggesting that people ask for one in the bar just down the street.

That's how it once was during the good old days years ago in the albergue San Juan Bautista; we all drew and dated our own sellos.

And the hug the hospitaler@s gave as a good bye in the morning was another sello ;-) BC SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'm thinking of walking the Camino Frances in December, January and February. What is the weather and is it possible? are the albergues open all year?

To start your research re Walking in Winter see these earlier recent threads filled with useful links and tips.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/logrono-to-burgos-in-january.50991/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/november-december-cf.50932/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-the-camino-in-december-january.37261/

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm thinking of walking the Camino Frances in December, January and February. What is the weather and is it possible? are the albergues open all year?
Most albergues are closed, but there are enough open if you walk the standard stages. Don't expect "second coffee"!!

It is cold, and higher elevations may have snow and ice. Albergues don't like heating for just one pilgrims, so expect less than a couple of hours of heat in the evening. I met only 14 pilgrims in three weeks in January. You won't be competing for beds, but you will not meet many people on the trail.

It is a great time if you are out for a walk. The small places with character are closed, so expect the soulless big places along with the junta and parochial albergues to be your lodging. Hostales are generally open, but you may have to call ahead, and may need to pick up a key at a nearby bar or restaurant.

Just to confirm that the albergue in the bell tower at Granon does not have/give a stamp. I was there last week and we were asked to draw our own stamp or leave a space. I left a space which then got filled by accident in Hontanas. BTW the albergue at Granon is a great place to stay and the communal meal was great.

Just to confirm that the albergue in the bell tower at Granon does not have/give a stamp. I was there last week and we were asked to draw our own stamp or leave a space. I left a space which then got filled by accident in Hontanas. BTW the albergue at Granon is a great place to stay and the communal meal was great.

Indeed I got my sello at Bar Teo.
https://vivecamino.com/en/granon/where-to-eat/

2014 . Rioja Crianza and a lovely small tapa : 1 €. I felt ashamed to pay that little.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back