• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Great confusion-Camino on a Pogo Stick

Ian T

I now have a back pack
Time of past OR future Camino
When she says I can
I am considering undertaking next years Comino Frances on a Pogo Stick. I was wondering on the following counts:

Has anyone had experience they could share on this mode of transport.

Would it contradict the much discussed Camino Code

How would I transport my post cathole gems until I reach sanctuary

Ian

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Your backpack looks great!

I had a friend who was very excited to consider taking her (very high-quality, durable, etc.) scooter-type contraption on Camino Frances some time ago.

She ended up hardly using it, after realizing that the terrain actually includes a lot of ups and downs, mud, rough track here and there, etc.

Walking the Camino is going to be adventure enough. Do you really want to call attention to yourself boinging up and down? Although it would not break code per se I think it would be antithetical to a humble walk. Just my opinion, and you are welcome to completely ignore it or just consider it.

It seems to me that a pogo stick probably counts as powered transport, so whilst I wish you well for your Camino, you may not be eligible for the compostela certificate after you arrive.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am considering undertaking next years Comino Frances on a Pogo Stick. I was wondering on the following counts:

Ian

There is the matter of general trail ethics. Your pogo stick would do a lot more damage to earth trails than a thousand walkers in boots.

Consider too the effects of vibration on your body. It might be fun for a half hour but there will be health effects after 800 km. https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/phys_agents/vibration/vibration_effects.html

Ian
Allthough there is no written code I think you should consideration taking your pogostick elsewhere. For practical reasons, allready mentioned by others but also for more principal reasons. I am not a "purist" but I would feel irritation if somebody passes me by jumping up and down and ruining the path. I get the feeling that this is another example of "trying to do a new thing, to be original" If you're looking for a challenging trip on your pogostick then there are many other possibilities, though that would be more of a solotrip.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Your backpack looks great!

I had a friend who was very excited to consider taking her (very high-quality, durable, etc.) scooter-type contraption on Camino Frances some time ago.

She ended up hardly using it, after realizing that the terrain actually includes a lot of ups and downs, mud, rough track here and there, etc.

Walking the Camino is going to be adventure enough. Do you really want to call attention to yourself boinging up and down? Although it would not break code per se I think it would be antithetical to a humble walk. Just my opinion, and you are welcome to completely ignore it or just consider it.

Good to see you here again. Voice of reason. Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am considering undertaking next years Comino Frances on a Pogo Stick.

I really think you would have to decide which brand to choose, as some are much better than others . . . . a bit like i-pads really. Quality is very important. If your pogo-stick broke, and bounced off into oblivion after a few days, it might be quite difficult to purchase another one in Spain. Just my opinion . . . . :D:D:D

One stick or two? There are lots of discussions about that on this forum.

And what sort of footwear, or socks would you wear when bouncing like Zebedee? At least he didn't have to worry about such trivial matters.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ian

I believe you could cut the time by 1/3 if you pogo-ed up the hills, but in-line skated down.
Not sure about it, but I think there will soon be a how-to video for the in-line skate part.
Buen Camino^o^o^o^o^o^o^o

The biggest problem might be to ensure that in the albergues your pogo stick is not stolen. Keep it with you at all times, including when you go to the bathroom.

Some albergues might consider it assisted means of transport - for example the English Confraternity albergue. It would be safer to carry a tent so you have the alternative of camping.

Spare parts for your pogo stick should be readily available at Decathlon stores along the route.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Ian
Perhaps you and the inline skater could join forces.....and see how you keep up with each other. :rolleyes:

€83,-
Wow

Pat Mullins for Australian of the Year. Come on we could start a separate thread and vote.

Such an inspiring video, it has changed my life. Rolling just has to be the way forward.

Pogo Stick thrown away (actually never existed - go read some of these posts again. Really!!!)

Does anyone know if they do rolling classes in the U.K.

My only concern is what to do when one comes upon a cathole and the obvious impact on the environment and a route that is thousands of years old. Best not tell the developers eh.

Have fun, I did and only 23 sleeps till crimbo

Stephen, that would probably be Camino de Madrid. Just make sure you never stop swinging, otherwise the pilgrims bringing dogs may allow their dogs to...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In order to avoid the problem of blisters on my feet, I am contemplating doing the camino by swinging from tree to tree.
Could I still get a Compostela?
Does anyone know which camino might have sufficient tree cover?

You are about 5 or 600 years to late. When I went to the Alhambra our guide told us that when the Moors arrived around 7th/8th Century it was claimed that a squirrel could have come ashore at Cadiz and climbed the first tree it saw and then not touched the ground until passing the Franco/Spanish border. Unfortunately the Spanish cut down do many trees for the Amarda and then did not replace as many as they cut down. So now swinging from St Jean to SDC. Next selection??

If you are a high jumper I recommend you do not wear a kilt.

I agree, yet wearing a kilt as a high-jumping pogosticker has one big advantage that is not to be discounted lightly. If you happen to quantum leap into a bullfight, you have your capote ready, while non-kilt wearers may not have the time to find something suitable in their backpack.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did a walk in Tibet. Some of the pilgrims in Lhasa did a pilgrimage on their knees - they used a plank of wood to rest their knees on rather then kneeling straight on the ground. Whether they did the whole pilgrimage and how far they had come I cant say. But more interesting then a pogo stick.... but a bit noisy with the whacking down of the wood and then sliding it forward but none the less fascinating.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Although the pogo stick idea is dead I *would* love to see someone Prancercise down the Camino. No wheels, just feet, yet such springy feet!
I think I might have been behind a group of these prancers once. They all wore head phones and were walking(?) a bit erratically.

Ian
Really?

In order to avoid the problem of blisters on my feet, I am contemplating doing the camino by swinging from tree to tree.

You might have to take a bus from Burgos to Leon. ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As yet we have not been asked about rolling the Camino. Perhaps someone will be inspired by Pat Mullins:
It could be a bit of a problem if she happens to hit the trail right after one of those herds of sheep or cattle has passed. But I guess she could have a rubber suit :p
And she might need a thickly padded suit for rolling through those villages with cobblestone streets.

As a professional 'bouncer' I would recommend against it unless you are striped.

edit:

Oh Em Gee!!!

Having just re-read this thread again about the Scottish kilted pogostick enthusiasts, I DO hope no-one misread my 'striped' comment as ...

'stripped'!

Decorum people, please!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a walk in Tibet. Some of the pilgrims in Lhasa did a pilgrimage on their knees ...
Still done in Mexico at the Villa to pray the Virgen de Guadalupe and here at home in Montreal, where people go up the 300 steps to the Oratoire St-Joseph also on their knees.

For Mexico google "peregrinos de rodillas", for Montreal try this:

https://fr.tripadvisor.ca/LocationP...s_Oratory_of_Mount_Royal-Montreal_Quebec.html

Funny, not many tourigrinos doing that at either location

And shouting I am Tarzan, you Jane ?:D:D Stephen !
The camino Inglès could be an idea. eucalyptus trees :p:p

Last edited:
I really think you would have to decide which brand to choose, as some are much better than others . . . . a bit like i-pads really. Quality is very important. If your pogo-stick broke, and bounced off into oblivion after a few days, it might be quite difficult to purchase another one in Spain. Just my opinion . . . . :D:D:D
And then you have to walk yet :cool:

Why not a Segway ?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino Rule One is that each pilgrim does their own Camino in their own way. It is not for us to judge the method you use. Some us may roll on the floor, laughing our (my) a**rs off (ROFLMAO), but we would still respect you choice.

This stated, here is the same advice I gave another person last week who intended to do their Camino on inline skates, "roller blades" if you will:

1. Have EXCELLANT health insurance cover to pay for your broken bones,
2. Have one or more partners, on foot, who can get you to emergency medical treatment,
3. Carry prescribed, prescription pain killers in the original bottle.

IMHO, you are likely to need all three.

Enjoy this style of Camino, for as long as it lasts...

I hope this helps.

More important than any of that ... can you carry your pogo stick as onboard aircraft luggage or must you check it? Will Ryan Air take it away from you at the Compostela airport? If you cannot transport your pogo stick, are pogo sticks available at your Camino departure destination? Will Ivar be willing to accept a pre shipment of a pogo stick? Are pogo sticks really a necessity? What kind of pogo stick should you use? Can you bring your pogo stick to your bunk with you or do you have to leave it in the bins in front? If you have to leave it, how frequently are they stolen? Is it legit to pogo stick your way to the bathroom in the middle of the night or should you just walk with your hiking headlight on at full power? Should you get a pogo stick with or without water bottle attachments? Does it need a bell? Should you carry your shell on the pogo stick or on your backpack? Are pogo stickers allowed to have shells? Can you have your pogo stick blessed at pilgrim's masses along the way? Should the pogo stick be carbon fiber, bamboo, metal, wood? How do you avoid pogo stick blisters? Will you be attacked by dogs when you pogo stick? Will the pogo stick be a good barrier between you and a dog? Are there special attachments for the pogo stick at the business end for rocks, hills, sand, mud, snow, ice? Where can these be obtained? Should you pogo stick in the rain and if so is a poncho or rain jacket better? Are there places to get a pogo stick repaired along the route? And probably most importantly - can a pogo stick carry bedbugs?

So you can see, there are many considerations to the use of a pogo stick. These should all be worked out before you leave so that your camino can be most enjoyable for you.

GRR, you have summed up this Forum perfectly in a few lines. But I think you may gave forgotten the weight of the pogo-stick, if the model you have can be folded down to fit into backpack and what its handles should be made, what the correct technique is and what to do when you get into the city so you don't clink-clank-clomk alomg the way.

I love how they jump canyons on their Pogo Stick. It looks so effortlessly elegant...!

Ian
Stupid idea

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Although the pogo stick idea is dead I *would* love to see someone Prancercise down the Camino. No wheels, just feet, yet such springy feet!
Oh my goodness, I don't think I will even consider doing Prancercise - it seems to give some serious camel toe issues.... not really my style but I guess each to his or her own. :D:p:D:rolleyes:

So all this talk of ways of doing your own Camino has got me thinking about my own training regime and so I wanted to do something fun and heart raising and decided that I can see the multiple benefits of this training. Now don't get me wrong and don't think the title is important at all but I really love this guys get up and go - zest for life :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
More important than any of that ... can you carry your pogo stick as onboard aircraft luggage or must you check it? Will Ryan Air take it away from you at the Compostela airport? If you cannot transport your pogo stick, are pogo sticks available at your Camino departure destination? Will Ivar be willing to accept a pre shipment of a pogo stick? Are pogo sticks really a necessity? What kind of pogo stick should you use? Can you bring your pogo stick to your bunk with you or do you have to leave it in the bins in front? If you have to leave it, how frequently are they stolen? Is it legit to pogo stick your way to the bathroom in the middle of the night or should you just walk with your hiking headlight on at full power? Should you get a pogo stick with or without water bottle attachments? Does it need a bell? Should you carry your shell on the pogo stick or on your backpack? Are pogo stickers allowed to have shells? Can you have your pogo stick blessed at pilgrim's masses along the way? Should the pogo stick be carbon fiber, bamboo, metal, wood? How do you avoid pogo stick blisters? Will you be attacked by dogs when you pogo stick? Will the pogo stick be a good barrier between you and a dog? Are there special attachments for the pogo stick at the business end for rocks, hills, sand, mud, snow, ice? Where can these be obtained? Should you pogo stick in the rain and if so is a poncho or rain jacket better? Are there places to get a pogo stick repaired along the route? And probably most importantly - can a pogo stick carry bedbugs?

So you can see, there are many considerations to the use of a pogo stick. These should all be worked out before you leave so that your camino can be most enjoyable for you.
In the sixtees ( we are getting old ha ha) there was a movie about "flubber". Stick the "flubber" underneath the soles of your shoes and jump high.

Personally however I prefer to do my caminho at the Brasilean way .together with my wife or if other peregrinas like to have the ultimate Caminho experience, they are welcome to join me. Females only! I 'm a sorry gentlemen ! :p
Only forward your backpack on beforehand :)
Bom caminho.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Ian
Brilliant!

Ian
You silly man! You never sang that classic American folk song concerning pogo sticks now have you?
In three point harmony please!
"Oh, you can't get to Santgiago
On roller skates,
'Cause you'd roll right by
The Gloria gate.
Oh you can't get to heaven on roller skates,
'Cause you'd roll right by the Gloria gate.
I ain't gonna grieve my Lord no more.

You can't get to Santiago On a pogo stick The Man don't like that klick klick klick I ain't gonna grieve my Lord no more.

Perhaps it is time that we seek advice from an official agency, The Ministry of Silly Walks.
p17528650dt.gif

Available from shoppbs.org for $39.95. Perhaps the perfect Christmas gift for the Camino afficiando?

One pogo stick or two?

I'm surprised no one has come on the thread to explain that Pacer Poles can be attached to pogo sticks, and they are the greatest product ever!

I saw a young guy last year on a skateboard, but at Estella so I don't know whether he reached Santiago. But at least he could carry it on impassable terrain.

€149,-
As yet we have not been asked about rolling the Camino. Perhaps someone will be inspired by Pat Mullins:

Very Good Kanga. This has the potential to become the next big Australian contribution to the Olympic Games!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back