• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Great path will unite 3 Caminos (Frances, Primitivo and Norte) following the Navia river

Kosmos

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte 2017
A great path is being prepared that will unite the three main Caminos de Santiago, following the course of the Navia River from its source in O Cebreiro (Camino Frances) through the Camino Primitivo in Grandas de Salime and ending in Navia in the Northern Camino .

Groups and institutions of 16 municipalities bordering Galicia and Asturias have joined together in a common project: to create a hiking and cycling route on the banks of the Navia river that serves as an economic and demographic stimulator for the regions that the river crosses, from its source in O Cebreiro to its mouth in the Cantabrian Sea.

The route, which its promoters have called the Navia's great path (Gran Senda del Navia), will have a minimum of 143 kilometers, which is what the river measures, although the final route is estimated to exceed 200.

The intention is to take advantage of the existing traditional paths, prioritize the proximity to the river and resort to the road sections as little as possible. The route will link with elements of heritage, natural, architectural or ethnographic value.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Is this an historical camino being revived, or a new walking path unconnected to historical usage?

Is this an historical camino being revived, or a new walking path unconnected to historical usage?

Just did a quick Google search (the article above was published in 2016, so wasn't sure how up-to-date it was). It's being referred to as the Gran Senda del Navia and they're seeking funding from the government's "Natural Paths" programme. In all the press releases, they state that they're interested in connecting a variety of caminos (including "natural caminos" like the E-9 and other mountain routes in this part of Asturias). "Camino" is obviously just the Spanish word for path, and they mention that the route would be of "general interest" (rather than historical or religious interest).

It's being spearheaded by the very active-sounding Amigos de Boal (Boal being a municipality in the Navia region). In 2017 they celebrated the creation of a "Miradores del Navia" route, but they're still actively seeking funding for the Gran Senda del Navia project.

It's a new walking path, I guess the idea is to take advantage of all the people who walk the Camino de Santiago and know a very spectacular area, it is a very rugged valley, deep gorges, cliffs 300 meters high, slate hills, canyons, waterfalls, towns like Riodeporcos that can only be accessed by a suspension bridge, three big dams and archaeological sites such as the Castros, Celtic settlements of the 5th century BC.

Riodeporcos

Castro de Coaña

Oneta Waterfalls

Doiras Dam

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would love to walk that yet so many Caminos to walk before hand! Maybe by the time I get to it, the path will be well marked and the infrastructure will be there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very interesting. Especially as I can imagine pilgrims might be walking it in both directions .

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...
Hi all, and thank you in an advance for your time and consideration :) I'm very much in my "Camino dreaming" phase, but next year I'll be looking to pre-book some of my accomodation for my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back