• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Great Place to Stay in Santiago

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
When I stayed at Monte de Gozo, Manole, the hospitalero there, gave me a great accommodation tip for Santiago: http://www.hsanmartinpinario.com

The rooms they have for pilgrims are much, much more simple than those shown on their web site, but for only 23 Euro (including breakfast) for a single room with private bath a real steal considering that location!

What were your favorite places to stay in Santiago?

SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I very much liked the pension Hortas, 200 metres from the cathedral, on the route to Finisterre.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._de_Compostela_A_Coruna_Province_Galicia.html
Seems they upped the price. Last year I paid 30 € , now itseems to be 36 €.
Spotlessly clean, beautiful bathroom with fluffy towels, quiet street. Bit of noise from central hall and rooms but that is not uncommon in Spain.
Nice courtyard too.
I arrived ill and much earlier then expected and they treated me very nicely ( coffee on the house, insisting on carrying my pack ).

Indeed, San Martin Pinario's albergue rooms are a GREAT bargain for weary pilgrims! I have stayed there happily during the recent past. The buffet breakfast is copious and tasty. Lunch or dinner in the dining room is also good value with 3 courses, wine and coffee for 12 euros. Check in is 24/7 which also is handy. You can book these pilgrim rooms at reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have booked two nights at Pinario for when we arrive - are there different standards of rooms, since you say they are simpler than the photos? (How much simpler can they be?) We paid approx €95 for two people, two nights. I don't mind pilgrim standard, I have paid my dues in cold albergues with The Night Shouter in the bunk below me, but this is our honeymoon ... (not me and The Night Shouter, obviously! :D )

Thanks mspath, forgot to mention that they strongly recommend to reserve well in advance during pilgrim season. Oh, and the staff speaks English also! SY

I have booked two nights at Pinario for when we arrive - are there different standards of rooms, since you say they are simpler than the photos? (How much simpler can they be?) We paid approx €95 for two people, two nights. I don't mind pilgrim standard, I have paid my dues in cold albergues with The Night Shouter in the bunk below me, but this is our honeymoon ... (not me and The Night Shouter, obviously! :D )

The price sounds about right for the pilgrim rooms, but don't worry, they are still heated. My room had a single bed, an own shower and toilet (separated from the bedroom obviously) a window with a gorgeous view over Santiago, a small desktop with chair and wifi/wlan access. What was simple was the furniture, a bit out of the 80s, but less colourful and more functional. Oh, and all very clean! SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks, @SYates and @mspath : the photos in the touristy part of the site are the same as the main site where I booked and sound like what SYates describes so I am still confused. However I choose to assume I am in one of the rooms in the pics. The plain cell looking thing with en suite, wooden floor and wrought iron beds is great with me!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, that is how it works, not sure if I showed my credencial, but the backpack with scallop shell and the walking stick were a dead give away ;-) SY

Haha, I suppose they are well trained at telling the pilgrims from the tourists :oops: The only thing I'm not looking forward to about the stay is that it will mean our honeymoon camino is over! Anyway, enough from me for now, I'll come back with a review after my stay.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first time I stayed here I simply walked in late at night after returning from Finistere during a sleet storm. Poncho and pack were coated with ice and I resembled the 'wicked witch of the west'. The then rather elegant concierge said "Good evening Madame I trust that you ARE a pilgrim" and promptly handed me a key to a 23 euro pilgrim room. There was no need to show any Credencial since no regular tourist would be out walking during such weather!!

I stayed at the parador for 3 days and it was like living in a museum. When I wasn't wandering around the city I was wandering the halls of the hotel taking in the history.

Stayed at SMPinario end of October 2014. Started out in a double Pilgrims room on the 4th floor for 40 euros and it was quite grim. Cold and mold on the walls, so we moved after one night a few floors down for a standard double which was quite lovely for 65 euros including that great breakfast buffet. Well worth it, especially considering the best location in Santiago.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
SMPinario has standard rooms, pretty basic, (about 50 Euros for two people), and they have pilgrim room (rooms on "the pilgrim floor") for about 23 Euros per person for bed and breakfast (single rooms). To reserve a room on the pilgrim floor, you have to actually email them and request a pilgrim room. If you reserve directly on the website, you'll get the first type of room I described (basic but not pilgrim). They aren't very different, but rates are slightly better for the pilgrim floor. Also, I was given the impression that all of the pilgrim rooms are singles.

I've stayed twice in San Martin and didn't realise there are regular rooms and pilgrim rooms. Both times I was put in a small, single room, with rod iron bed and a duvet, with a moder, impecable bathroom. If memory serves me right, the price was 42 Euros, and it did not include breakfast. Breakfast was an additional 10 Euros, and in my opinion really not worth it. I did enjoy the common area where you can enjoy a glass of wine while reading the paper for 2 Euros. Love the courtyard, love the entry at the back of the building: made me feel as if I was sneaking in a forbitten garden.

I've also stayed at Hotel Fonte de San Roque: http://hotelfontedesanroque.com/. 40 Euros or so. I was there with someone I met on the Camino. I had a room with a double bed, and my bathroom had a tub. His room was smaller, a single bed, but he had a "balcony", or at least a door that opened to the street. It's a 4 minute walk to the Cathedral.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This forum is great -- look at how very wide ranging our opinions are. Everyone has their own reaction to even this basic question about accommodation. My own falls on the "pro" side of San Martin Pinario. About four years ago, I found their 4th floor "albergue" and I was hooked. I had stayed in the parador, the lovely Costa Vella and their companion hotel Altair, a few other beautiful renovated stone building hotels as well as a few pensiones like Girasol, but for whatever reason San Martin Pinario's 4th floor is now the only place I will go. For me it wasn't grim at all, it was a big luxury to have clean sheets, clean thick towels, private bath. It just always seems like the perfect level of creature comforts -- more than I've been used to for the past month, but not yet pushing me into tourist mode. Just made my reservations for July!

As others have said, you have to email them to ask about the albergue rooms, and you'll then have to give them your credit card #. If you do a reservation online you'll get the "regular" hotel. Their customer service, in my experience, is always top notch. Prompt replies, courteous interactions. BTW, the albergue does have double rooms.

Every time I open the Forum I learn something new. How great is that!
First Camino, I was hurt and my flight out wasn't for five days out. I just wanted a comfortable, well appointed place. So the Hotel Aires Nunes fit the bill...60€ in 2008, second and third Caminos Pension Girasol. Very close to the cathedral and doubles as dorm for college students...never heard a peep...35€. A great rate...then again Johnnie Walker has influence everywhere. Fourth Camino Hotel San Clemente just down the steps from the plaza. Staff very helpful, breakfast buffet...60€
Now, I think I'll give SMP a try. I like short walks, I like cell like rooms and I like breakfast
Buen "fluffy towels R me" Camino
Arn

A Caso do Peregrino is a nice and reasonably priced pension house about 200 meters from the Camino (literally on the Camino path before you reach the plaza). Stayed there after completing my first Camino.
El Ultimo Sello is a good, clean albergue to stay at. Also very close to the plaza. Spent a night there as well.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After 30 plus days of "sharing" space, San Martins worked for me. Very basic, but you're right at the Cathedral, the Parador is next door and a great place to hang out for a beer, and a lot of fellow pilgrims also stay there so you can reconnect before heading home or to Finisterre.

Thank you mspath for the email to San Martin Pinario! I just made reservations for May 23.
40 euros for a double in the albergue floor, and it does include breakfast! Great place from what I see and prices, can't wait to be there! :)

As far as albergues in Santiago are concerned, Mondoalbergue is not far from the cathedral and inexpensive:)!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Two and a half months ago I arrived at San Martin Pinario, let them know I didn't have a reservation, and asked if there was anything available. The very kind gentleman said they didn't have anything on the pilgrim / 4th floor, but they had a room on the 2nd floor for € 40-something. He said they would have a pilgrim room for me the next day for as long as I needed it. Ohhh, gracias, señor! Yes, please!
Breakfast, huge, fluffy towels (replaced every day), white duvet, and private bathroom included with both rooms. The room on the 2nd floor was a bit larger with a double bed. Breakfast seems a bit larger than last year - but maybe it was the same - more than I can eat!! I LOVE the San Martin Pinario!!! But DO make reservations!
Buen Camino!
Terry

Thanks Biarritzdon and OTH86!

I just made reservations yesterday, so we are all set for our stay at San Martin Pinario! Can't wait! We got a double on the pilgrim floor with breakfast included for 40 euros! I just can't wait! 3 months, 3 weeks to go! :)

When I stayed at Monte de Gozo, Manole, the hospitalero there, gave me a great accommodation tip for Santiago: http://www.hsanmartinpinario.com

The rooms they have for pilgrims are much, much more simple than those shown on their web site, but for only 23 Euro (including breakfast) for a single room with private bath a real steal considering that location!

SY

We've never stayed at SMP but we've heard great things about staying overnight there. What we *have* done is walked in off the street and enjoyed their breakfast buffet! Only 5€ a person and you get toast, yogurt, empanadas, tortilla, juices, coffee, etc. It was well worth it, and a fun experience. So even if you aren't staying there, if you're looking for a good place to have breakfast one morning, we'd recommend SMP.
-Faith

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can recommend the Montes Pension Boutique www.pensionmontes.es/ right next to the cathedral with balconies. The back rooms face the Pilgrim's Office (same street as Tourist Office). They have a very delicious taverna on the bottom floor serving outside as well near other nice restaurants. This hotel is ideal for anyone with pet, dust, feather allergies as it is a completely hypoallergenic hotel.

SY
Hola SY - I was advised to stay here (back in 2013) and yes it is a great place and even if you stay in their "up market" rooms pilgrims (show your p-passport) and you get a 5-10% discount - so about E35-40 per night including a great breakfast. They also have a great pilgrim lunch. Another plus - is 50 metres across the square to the cathedral. Buen Camino

I can recommend the Montes Pension Boutique www.pensionmontes.es/ right next to the cathedral with balconies. The back rooms face the Pilgrim's Office (same street as Tourist Office). They have a very delicious taverna on the bottom floor serving outside as well near other nice restaurants. This hotel is ideal for anyone with pet, dust, feather allergies as it is a completely hypoallergenic hotel.
There I go again, reading to fast or wishful thinking. I thought Saramago wrote "Monty Python" Boutique. And then to add insult to injury: "...a hypodermic " hotel
Sorry, I guess the jokes on me. But I do get the point

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
When will I learn not to procrastinate. I have known for 3-4 months when I want to fly out. I booked my flight a month ago. That day I also booked my Alsa bus to Oviedo, and my Macabi skirt. But since then I have procrastinated. The result is that San Martin Pinario where I have stayed twice and enjoy is booked, both pilgrim rooms and regular rooms. I thought the pilgrim rooms might be, but it was a bit of a surprise all the rooms are gone (1st weekend in June). So today I went on a second Camino binge: RyanAir flight from Santiago to Madrid, Pacer Poles, and hotel: back to the Fonde San Roque.

A word to the wise. I booked two nights for 90E directly from the hotel. Booking.com had this same room for double the price! (C$122 for two nights vs C@231!) It's a lovely little hotel with elevator (after 17 days of walking, that's my splurge!) and charm, 4 minute walk from the Cathedral.

So the lesson of the day is not to procrastinate and to do your homework before chosing how to book a room.

Now, onto finalising sleeping options on the Primitivo, buying a Smartube, a handsfree umbrella and compression shorts to wear with the macabi.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The San Martin also does pilgrims laundry! There is a plastic bag in the wardrobe in which to put the dirty clothes, and a list on which to write the items that are there, and your room number. The clothes are returned wonderfully clean, and placed on your bed. I can't remember the cost, but it is way cheaper than the Consigna Officina, and so convenient. The cost is put onto your bill for payment when you leave.

The only thing I would change in the San Martin is to have draught beer in their bar - they only have cerveza or bottled beer. But a very small thing in what is a wonderful place to stay. I am booked in there in June!

Last edited:
The San Martin also does pilgrims laundry! - they only have cerveza or bottled beer. But a very small thing in what is a wonderful place to stay. I am booked in there in June!
Can't help thinking they would rather offer the service than end up with bedbugs ;0)

I very much liked the pension Hortas, 200 metres from the cathedral, on the route to Finisterre.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._de_Compostela_A_Coruna_Province_Galicia.html
Seems they upped the price. Last year I paid 30 € , now itseems to be 36 €.
Spotlessly clean, beautiful bathroom with fluffy towels, quiet street. Bit of noise from central hall and rooms but that is not uncommon in Spain.
Nice courtyard too..
After having stayed many times in San Martin ( both in the Pilgrim rooms and in the hotel part), this year we decided to try something new.
Pension Hortas in Rua das Hortas. It is small ( only 7 rooms), but has been fitted out with the highest quality furnishings and fittings. Behind the courtyard, you can walk into an enormous "Huerta" , or orchard (and this only 200 mts from the Cathedral), where you can wash and hang out your clothes. We paid €53 for a double. Rua das Hortas is just around the corner from the new Pilgrim's Office, due to be opened later this year. In fact, the orchard is so big that the end boundaries actually touch the walls of the future Pilgrim's office.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back