• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Great Saint Bernard Pass altitude

Billy Buell

Walking Willie
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy to sjpdp, next planned Norte.
Starting VF at the GSBP and wonder if I need to climatize myself for the 2000m elevation. I live at sea level.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Typically altitude sickness doesn't kick in until 10,000 ft (3100m), unless one is a smoker or has some other lung compromising condition, so I suspect you're safe. It will always help if you can spend the preceding night at the altitude. And carry Rolaids!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Starting VF at the GSBP and wonder if I need to climatize myself for the 2000m elevation. I live at sea level.
Hi Billy,
I was there last month and it was perfectly fine. No worries. Be prepared though for some stunning views! :cool:

You hopefully know Your body better than anyone here on the forum or elsewhere.
Maybe you do give yourself some time or slower pace when up there. And then there is the jetlag if you are just flying in...

For those kind of questions are no cookie-cutter responses.
Or...if there are...it is at your own peril.

I just moved from sealevel up to much higher altitudes...and it has been taking awhile for my body to be catching up.... and not to be huffing and puffing that much.
There are other things than altitude sickness to consider....

You will have to find out... take it easy and mellow...give your body and spirit time to adjust.

As @Amorfati says, there are no cookie-cutter answers, but unless you have pre-existing medical limitations, I wouldn't be too concerned. You'll notice, the difference, certainly. But going slower and easier than usual will probably be enough.
I just came down from being in some 'serious' mountains (5000+m passes) and found that going slowly and drinking enough were the keys to comfort. Push the pace or slack off on hydration and the body will definitely give you feedback.
Gently, gently...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just one thing: you don't stay at 2400m for long, it's all downhill!
The problem isn't (in my experience) getting used to the altitude but managing the steep descent, which can be quite hard on the legs and knees....

Exactly my experience. I also live near sea level. I walked from Orsieres (887m) to GSB (2469m) in one day and only noticed a very slight shortage of breath at the col. The following day the route descends very quickly to Aosta (583m). You are most unlikely to suffer any ill effects from altitude.

Typically altitude sickness doesn't kick in until 10,000 ft (3100m), unless one is a smoker or has some other lung compromising condition, so I suspect you're safe. It will always help if you can spend the preceding night at the altitude. And carry Rolaids!
I live in flat country, and until I am walking fit I find that 2000+m causes a bit of breathlessness, however fit I am.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks Peter, to my aid again. And thanks to all for the helpful replies. I'm in good shape and will take it slow and easy the first few days. Starting Sept 18. Very excited (my 4th Pilgrimage). Billy
You will do just fine,enjoy your self.

The answer is: not necessarily if you are only walking down from the pass. In one day you'll be past Etroubles into Aosta, and will feel perfectly adapted to walk the successive parts of the Francigena. :cool:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've lived at sea level all my life and have twice crossed the Gr St Bernard. I also have asthma but haven't had any problems staying there or crossing there.
You'll be fine!

Thanks Peter, to my aid again. And thanks to all for the helpful replies. I'm in good shape and will take it slow and easy the first few days. Starting Sept 18. Very excited (my 4th Pilgrimage). Billy
Hi Billy - I'm starting the VF from Aosta with my friend Sally 0n 19 September. Sally walked from Lausanne to Aosta in late June and I'm joining her to finish the pilgrimage. We're slow walkers and we don't walk more than 20kms a day so you'll probably catch up with us and pass us very quickly. Look for the tall blonde Aussie - Sally - and the shorter friend - another Aussie - me ... I'm the one with 'Spot', my wonderful hiking trailer. Sally and I are known as P1 and P2 - a pilgrim play on B1 and B2 - Bananas in Pyjamas. :)
Buona Camminata -
Jenny

Last edited:
Hi Billy - I'm starting the VF from Aosta with my friend Sally 0n 19 September. Sally walked from Lausanne to Aosta in late June and I'm joining her to finish the pilgrimage. We're slow walkers and we don't walk more than 20kms a day so you'll probably catch up with us and pass us very quickly. Look for the tall blonde Aussie - Sally - and the shorter friend - another Aussie - me ... I'm the one with 'Spot', my wonderful hiking trailer. Sally and I are known as P1 and P2 - a pilgrim play on B1 and B2 - Bananas in Pyjamas. :)
Buona Camminata -
Jenny
Buona Camminata -
Jenny
Jenny. Just bought my flight. I arrive in Geneva Sept 19 at 10:a.m. I'm meeting up with my Aussie friend John. Don't know where we will stay that night but I would like to get to Don Angelo Carionic hostel. About 2 k from border in Italy. Going to see if BlaBla has a ride. Yes we should meet up, we are not rushing but plan to walk 500 k this time. Very exciting. Billy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Jenny. Just bought my flight. I arrive in Geneva Sept 19 at 10:a.m. I'm meeting up with my Aussie friend John. Don't know where we will stay that night but I would like to get to Don Angelo Carionic hostel. About 2 k from border in Italy. Going to see if BlaBla has a ride. Yes we should meet up, we are not rushing but plan to walk 500 k this time. Very exciting. Billy
Sally and I hope to see you and John on those ancient and magnificent paths as we all wend our way south. It'll be wonderful to meet you both.
Buon Camino!

Sally and I hope to see you and John on those ancient and magnificent paths as we all wend our way south. It'll be wonderful to meet you both.
Buon Camino!
Thanks Jenny and Sally. Weather looks terrible this week at the Pass. Hope it warms and drys up. Best wishes for your enjoyment. Billy

Cheers Billy, and thanks. We're hoping for warm, autumnal weather too.
Best wishes to you and John - take joy in every step.
Jenny

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wishing you good weather at the Pass, you are not there for long.
Even on 10th July it was quite cold (5 deg. or so) and it rained so hard whilst we were having supper the hosts asked us to go and make sure our bedroom windows were tightly closed...
Fortunately it warms up quickly once you start walking ;) Oh and you'll get to see the dogs, I missed them as they were only coming back on 14th July.
Enjoy and buon caminno!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm afraid Billy will have had a very cold and snowy descent from the St Bernard Pass, I was up there on the 18th and descended on the 19th, it was snowing and bitterly cold but lovely down in Aosta.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Can I start the italian Via Francigena from Gran St Benards pass early to mid May !

The pass usually opens at mid-June until October. The 2021 opening was delayed from 4th June due to unstable snow.

I crossed in May 2019 by local transport as the pass had "unstable" snow then too.

The pass usually opens at mid-June until October. The 2021 opening was delayed from 4th June due to unstable snow.

I crossed in May 2019 by local transport as the pass had "unstable" snow then too.
@Corned Beef, Thanks for the info. After researching and reading some articles on the GSBP , I think I will start the 2nd week of June . Thanks once again !

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back