• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Greatest..Angriest Sunburn since the big bang

William Garza

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
Yes
I now know how it feels to walk on the sun
How a Spark plug feels
How hot was the big bang?
Ask my lower legs...

Any advice would bring showers of prayers and all kinds of good karma.

Symptoms beside a very angry shade of something on the hot side if the visual spectrum
Very dark pink at the moment
Thats one worry..ive had redder that didnt hurt as bad
Hot skin
Ahhhh, there is a word in Spanish..we call it "punsadas"
Akin to having my leg stabbed and skin is very tender...

Ok.nuff o the gory..was out training walking and photographing rugby on the beach.

Aloe is a short term fix
Any peregrinos have any secret squirrel gear to aid.

Ps..pretty sure i got sun poisoning
Thanks guys and be verrry safe and sunscreened out on the Way!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Headache nausia,slightest of fevers.
Doug, I appreciate the info!
It was on my lilly white legs which hadnt seen the sun in years.

The dehydration is unsusal for me,as i am a high volume water drinker..but, as shown, lesson learned.

William...i have been,slathering on the aloe vera and it helps with the tightness and swelling.

Lesson learned. As i have at hand, access to remedy..I truly hope the Folks on the road who,may be miles from relief are ok..

Thanks for the info Gentlemen!

Being from Florida, the land of sunburn, we keep sunburn lotions that contain Lidocaine on hand. It immediately reduces the pain and burning. To keep the skin from drying and cracking we use a hemp lotion. First the Lidocaine then after a few days the hemp lotion. Cold compresses are excellent in reducing the heat.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Apply Milk of Magnesia to it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Truly Secret Squirrel!!
You guys are truly the best!

I applied sunscreen when my buddys wifey pushed it into my hand and said
NOW!
Too late for legs..but it did feel better on arms and ears.

Milk of Magnesia..hmmm

I got a jar of sour pickles beside me...cramps still as hard and fast as spasms..
Well see in a few days the terminous of this episode of
Willie and the Sun!

Florida Beaches rule..our sand not ass white, but apparently enough.

Much good karma and warm fuzzys going all yalls way!

It is good topically for sunburn and diaper rash.
Do you have a credible source for that and how it works? When I look for information on this, there are a lot of sites that suggest that milk of magnesia will remove oil from the skin, exactly the opposite effect that one might want to achieve when treating sunburn. The one site that I found that did mention it as a treatment for sunburn had it listed under the category 'Unverified Home Remedies'.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The refrigerated 100% alovera has been an absolute good.
That and the pedialite...appearantly my electrolite levels were horrendously out of whack.
Still drowning myself in liquids.
Friday..getting a good sunscreen with titanium dioxide

Do you have a credible source for that and how it works? When I look for information on this, there are a lot of sites that suggest that milk of magnesia will remove oil from the skin, exactly the opposite effect that one might want to achieve when treating sunburn. The one site that I found that did mention it as a treatment for sunburn had it listed under the category 'Unverified Home Remedies'.
I can report that it has worked wonders as far as soothing the itch, and discomfort with "sun poisoning", as does Epson salts bath soak. I have used it and so has my family.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I can report that it has worked wonders as far as soothing the itch, and discomfort with "sun poisoning", as does Epson salts bath soak. I have used it and so has my family.
I think I will remain skeptical about this being any more than an unproven folk remedy. As for the practice of brining oneself in an Epsom Salts bath, I suspect it has a similar level of science behind it, and unless it were a cold bath, would be an incredibly uncomfortable experience for anyone suffering from sunburn.

Daily doses of Aloe have continued
Red patches on the legs show the damage this fool did to himself.
But a lesson learned. I am very fair skinned so the direct and reflected rays made a mess.

Need to order a Camino Buff as i work on Fridays 10 meters up in a tower photographing would be doers of malicious acts on motorcars.

The one troubling aspect was my dehydration/electrolyte issue.
Its 0002 Friday local and have more or less got back to normal.

I wonder if this is a issue with long distance walkers.
I wont be doing a too far a day when i feel ready..but may need to plan for a recurence.
Time to research.
And one more reason I will attempt a cool weather Camino.

Thank you guys for all the help and advice, you truly each and every one are the best!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Gauze compresses soaked with cool milk (let the excess milk drain off before applying). The initial coolness of the milk will ease the heat, while it also creates a layer of protein to protect your skin, help it heal, and further ease the discomfort. Yogurt can also be used.
Or
Use a baking soda paste on the sunburnt area, or take a cool bath with 2 cups baking soda in the bath. Don't use soap in your bath; it will dry your skin and at this time you want your skin to be nice and hydrated.
If you were feeling nauseated and headachey, crampy and possibly sweaty with clammy skin (?), that's possibly heat exhaustion, a form of hyperthermia (when the body is unable to cool its core temperature sufficiently and overheats). It can quickly lead to heat stroke, which can be dangerous--medical attention is needed asap.
So best to get out of the sun and heat asap, drink up and lay down until you feel better (with someone to keep an eye on you)!

Perhaps sun protection long trousers on your walk along the Camino, William?
www.columbia.com/technology-omnishade/#prefn1=productClass&prefv1=Pants

Yogert..forgot about that one.
I was not clammy for very long...
I stood under cold showers pretty mmuch every 3 hours to bring the core temps down..along with ..not exagerating here,apprx a liter plus an hour.
I am a heavy water drinker...
I have been known to drink over 6 gallons a day..easy

Pedialyte was the turning point.
2 liters in a day and a half.
A Veteran friend helped me in that dept.

Again..this was highly unusual behavior.
Ive worn full PPE along with street cloths, a Nomex over all, rubber gloves,boots,goggles,facemask and helmet in 110 deg weather with less drama.

Dang...
Guess i got old..
Just like that.

If this happened on the Camino, the cramos would have immoblized me..as thay did this morning on my right hind leg.
Full inner thigh to knee and partial calf.
The inner thigh was a BEEEEAAAAAST!

Solid as oak and felt like fire...
Lol
Some folks straighten out coz they feel the fire
Some folks coz they feel the heat...

I only survived this episode because you came running to this fools aid..

Ill be back to my usual 55%..( back injurys)... But thats good enough for this high pain tolorant fool.

This helped me rethink my mini first aid kit.
Thanks guys!!

Yogert..forgot about that one.
I was not clammy for very long...
I stood under cold showers pretty mmuch every 3 hours to bring the core temps down..along with ..not exagerating here,apprx a liter plus an hour.
I am a heavy water drinker...
I have been known to drink over 6 gallons a day..easy

Pedialyte was the turning point.
2 liters in a day and a half.
A Veteran friend helped me in that dept.

Again..this was highly unusual behavior.
Ive worn full PPE along with street cloths, a Nomex over all, rubber gloves,boots,goggles,facemask and helmet in 110 deg weather with less drama.

Dang...
Guess i got old..
Just like that.

If this happened on the Camino, the cramos would have immoblized me..as thay did this morning on my right hind leg.
Full inner thigh to knee and partial calf.
The inner thigh was a BEEEEAAAAAST!

Solid as oak and felt like fire...
Lol
Some folks straighten out coz they feel the fire
Some folks coz they feel the heat...

I only survived this episode because you came running to this fools aid..

Ill be back to my usual 55%..( back injurys)... But thats good enough for this high pain tolorant fool.

This helped me rethink my mini first aid kit.
Thanks guys!!

*Sigh* We all are getting older by the second, hey? :)
You could be a complete Superman and able to cope and withstand anything, but one day your defences are slightly down, you may have caught a little virus from some unknown doorknob or shopping cart handle and your body is trying to shove it out and on, when **Boom**, something happens. In your case, heat exhaustion, William.
I'm glad you were able to get through this! You know for the next time so there won't be a next time (and perhaps all of us here will also take all the information and self-care advice into consideration)!
Now. I'm just waiting on a friend; we're going to do some hill walking. (On PEI, that means a whopping 550 ft up from sea level...!) Taking my BIG water bottle with me. And am going to relish the brunch that awaits me afterwards!
Have a great day, William!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The best advice for sunburn is to treat it like a normal burn. You need to cool the effected area with cold water to remove the heat before applying any lotions or potions. Failure to remove the heat before applying a lotion or potion can have the effect of cooking the effected area. This can lead to more damage being done and an increased risk of infection developing.

My sunburn history includes 2nd deg burns to where i was blistered and peeled all over except for my swimsuit area.

Only my legs on the shins were affected..how odd.
I was able to cool off before putting on the aloe.

Using 100+ SPF sunblock in the meantime.

One worrysome issue
There has been a vibrio in the waters
This flesh eating bactieria has killed a few folks here.

I have no open wounds to worry about it, but it passed my mind.

The seashore dwellers know the struggle well
Sunburn/saltwater.

This was a serious wake up call as i will equip for this.

You guys have been a huge blessing.

The skin has just started to sheet off..on 1 leg only..and this could have been worse by orders of magnitude.

I cant imagine walking 500 miles with dust and,sweat. And burns..

Last edited:
The best advice for sunburn is to treat it like a normal burn. You need to cool the effected area with cold water to remove the heat before applying any lotions or potions. Failure to remove the heat before applying a lotion or potion can have the effect of cooking the effected area. This can lead to more damage being done and an increased risk of infection developing.
Absolutely correct. Cooling the affected area stops the 'cooking' effects of the increased heat. Doing that quickly with readily available materials like plain, cool water, even running water from a tap, is better than delaying treatment. If you have milk or yoghurt - great - drink it or eat it - you will need the fluids and they will do you more good that way.

Most of the folk remedies mentioned so far do not appear to be supported by any science nor are they recommended by reputable sites. In contrast, there are well established first aid and medical treatment regimes for burns, including sunburn, that can be followed.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back