• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Green or brown in September?

DanaRuns

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (in 2013)
My virgin post here! :D

So, our first Camino will be a year from now, in September/October 2013. I'm curious about the landscape that time of year along the Camino Frances. We live in Southern California where we have a Mediterranean climate much like Spain's. Here, the hills and grasslands are very green in the spring, but very brown in September after a long, hot, dry summer. Is it the same along the Camino?

We are hoping for green, of course.

295264_4094036823158_940045061_n.jpg

But somehow I suspect we will get brown.

l.jpg

What has been your experience in the fall? Would we do better in October?

Thank you. This is the first of what will probably be a gazillion dumb questions (though I will search for previous threads before asking). :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Harvested fields and falling leaves; probably not a lot of green.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
That's kind of what I thought. :(. Oh well, i am sure it will still be amazing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are in Burgos on September 4; started in Pamplona on August 26, and took a bus through a couple of sections. There are fields of ferny green asparagus in a couple of places, truck gardens with pepper plants stuffed chock full of fruits, and huge tomatoes, pear, apple, fig and other fruit trees, forests that are still green. We've seen plenty of golden stubble in the fields, but the black raspberries are ripening along the paths (we eat a few daily). The vineyards in La Rioja are bright green, and the grapes hanging heavy on the vines.

I did the camino last year between 7 Sept and 7 Oct. Leaves were still green. And like "Tericarns" wrote: plenty of fruits and vegetables. The weed fields are still yellow. The first leaves started falling when I passed León.
For example you can see here how it is:
https://vimeo.com/user9824047/videos/so ... :thumbnail

I prefer walking in Fall. It's incredibly beautiful, but yes... different, having walked this Spring.
Either way, you'll have a wonderful time!
In Fall you'll run into Wine FESTIVALS!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
DanaRuns said:
We are hoping for green, of course.

Definitely a case of "be careful what you wish for". Remember that what makes those fields green is RAIN, which you would have to be walking through. Dry days are so much more comfortable walking.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back