• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Green Pass

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elizabeth Cheung

Existential Sherpa
Time of past OR future Camino
Let's just say I've been around ;-)
I was wondering how anyone doing routes in France or Italy are getting the Green QR code. In particular those coming from outside the EU? It looks like we all need this if we travel now to France and/or Italy. Anyone on either routes right now had to get one and if So how? I was really hoping to get on the Francigina from Lausanne to Rome starting end of Aug. I'm from Canada and am fully vaccinated.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good question because I am wondering the same thing. I am from the US and I hope that my vaccination card will be accepted for entry to France next week!

I think you are referring to an EU Digital COVID Certificate. It is only available to EU citizens.

The rest of us will need to bring whatever proof we have of vaccination and/or COVID test results and hope it will be accepted. That may mean a longer wait at both airport checkin and border control.

The good news is that Canada and the USA are both on the EU’s List of Epidemiologically Safe Countries Amid COVID-19. If you arrive from a "safe" country you may only need to show your passport to be admitted.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good question because I am wondering the same thing. I am from the US and I hope that my vaccination card will be accepted for entry to France next week!
My daughter flew from Los Angeles to Paris a few weeks ago and no one asked to see her vaccine card, or for proof of a negative test! I think (hope) that has probably changed with the recent Delta surge.

I have found a useful website called Travel Doc. It asks country of origin and country of destination and determines the necessary documentation. A friend of mine works at a travel agency and this is the site they use apparently.

My daughter flew from Los Angeles to Paris a few weeks ago and no one asked to see her vaccine card, or for proof of a negative test! I think (hope) that has probably changed with the recent Delta surge.
That's because the EU rates the USA as a "COVID safe" country. No change in that rating so far. Check the link in my post for the current list of safe countries.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was wondering how anyone doing routes in France or Italy are getting the Green QR code. In particular those coming from outside the EU? It looks like we all need this if we travel now to France and/or Italy. Anyone on either routes right now had to get one and if So how? I was really hoping to get on the Francigina from Lausanne to Rome starting end of Aug. I'm from Canada and am fully vaccinated.
I am heading out in 30 days (also from Canada) very interested in this question. I assumed that our QR code/government issued immunization record from our provinical heath authority would be sufficient, though I may be wrong.

I am heading out in 30 days (also from Canada) very interested in this question. I assumed that our QR code/government issued immunization record from our provinical heath authority would be sufficient, though I may be wrong.
Canada doesn't have a QR code system. A copy of your immunization record from your provincial health authority (both on your phone and in paper from) is essential documentation to carry with you, but you probably won't need it to enter Spain as you are coming from a "COVID safe" country.

That's assuming you go directly to Spain from Canada, or as a transit passenger changing flights on the same airline in another European country but not entering that transit country. If you enter an EU country on your way, different rules apply.

If you come to Spain from a country in Europe or via Great Britain, or leave Spain to travel to another country in Europe, the rules are different. Spain is currently a "red zone" in the EU. Entering Spain from another red zone EU country or from the UK is more difficult. Likewise leaving Spain to travel to another EU country is more difficult.

To avoid an unpleasant surprise, keep up with the changes. All the info is available on the EU websites and the various country websites. Both the European red zone designations and the various country rules change without notice.

If you choose to go, no whining if the rules change suddenly or you find yourself in mandatory quarantine because you were in a hostel with a COVID outbreak and now you can't walk and quarantine is expensive.

COVID isn't over.

See you in late September and early October on the Norte and Primitivo.

R

Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Canada doesn't have a QR code system. A copy of your immunization record from your provincial health authority (both on your phone and in paper from) is essential documentation to carry with you, but you probably won't need it to enter Spain as you are coming from a "COVID safe" country.

That's assuming you go directly to Spain from Canada, or as a transit passenger changing flights on the same airline in another European country but not entering that transit country. If you enter an EU country on your way, different rules apply.

If you come to Spain from a country in Europe or via Great Britain, or leave Spain to travel to another country in Europe, a different set of rules apply. Spain is currently a "red zone" in the EU. Entering Spain from another red zone EU country or from the UK is more difficult. Likewise leaving Spain to travel to another EU country is more difficult.

It is a complex and changing situation. I'm planning to walk in September and have been researching.

There are no simple answers. To avoid an unpleasant surprise, keep up with the changes. All the info is available on the EU websites and the various country websites.

Buen Camino.
In Manitoba we do have QR codes as well as a digital immunization record. I will be flying into Paris and spending the weekend before flying to SJPDP.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In Manitoba we do have QR codes as well as a digital immunization record. I will be flying into Paris and spending the weekend before flying to SJPDP.
Hi - my understanding was that the provincial codes are not for international travel but for provincial regulations re: entering restaurants, concerts, festivals etc. I believe the Federal government is working on a covid certificate with the US and European counterparts which is supposed to be available eventually.

Also if you submit your information into ARRiveCAN for when you come back to Canada, you could also use that to prove your vaccination status. They have an app.

I am sure it won't matter how you provide the information as long as you provide it.

I will be very interested in what you experience when you head over to Europe. If you get a chance to report back to those of us who are following you, it would be appreciated.

Unfortunately your Manitoba QR data won't synchronize with the European system. Wish it did. But being a Canadian should get you into France.

Check the France to Spain regulations. Paris may still be in an EU red zone.

Hi - my understanding was that the provincial codes are not for international travel but for provincial regulations re: entering restaurants, concerts, festivals etc. I believe the Federal government is working on a covid certificate with the US and European counterparts which is supposed to be available eventually.

Also if you submit your information into ARRiveCAN for when you come back to Canada, you could also use that to prove your vaccination status. They have an app.

I am sure it won't matter how you provide the information as long as you provide it.

I will be very interested in what you experience when you head over to Europe. If you get a chance to report back to those of us who are following you, it would be appreciated.
Absolutely. I downloaded the ArriveCan app the same day it was released lol. I am a chronic over preparer. The anxiety of not being ready for any situation is very unsettling. I will loosen the controls on my Camino I am sure.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks everyone for the great info. So far the one thing I did find out was that people from the US/canada who are in France, are going to vaccination centres in Paris or wherever they are and those centers have provided (with proof of vaccine from your own country) a means to get the Green Pass. I am hoping that by the time I leave things will have sorted and we can also access pharmacies (that is supposed to be what will happen in Italy. It was suppose to be how it works in France but so far, pharmacies are not willing to do it - hence going to vaccine centres). Sigh. Everything is in so much flux :-( I just need something to look forward to that has a very long walk in it. Also, if anyone is on the Francigena right now I'd love to here how this process is effecting you.

I think you are referring to an EU Digital COVID Certificate.
Just for info: Italy has chosen to call the EU Digital COVID Certificate Certificazione verde (Green pass), in France they call it Pass sanitaire (Health pass), other countries have gone for some variation of EU Covid pass.

"Green pass" is generally not used for the EU DCC in English. It was designed for travel between and into EU countries only but it is now increasingly used at the national level to allow or prohibit access to cultural events, to hotels and similar accommodation, and to restaurants but only in some EU countries - not in all. Big in France right now and in the news.

The pass/certificate is not green anyway. When it is displayed or printed in colour, it's mostly black with some blue and yellow. In Italy, the app that goes with the digital version of the certificates is predominantly green, in France it is red and blue; you can presumably find any other combination of colours for their EU DCC app in other countries. United in Diversity is our motto ... 😇

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the great info. So far the one thing I did find out was that people from the US/canada who are in France, are going to vaccination centres in Paris or wherever they are and those centers have provided (with proof of vaccine from your own country) a means to get the Green Pass. I am hoping that by the time I leave things will have sorted and we can also access pharmacies (that is supposed to be what will happen in Italy. It was suppose to be how it works in France but so far, pharmacies are not willing to do it - hence going to vaccine centres). Sigh. Everything is in so much flux :-( I just need something to look forward to that has a very long walk in it. Also, if anyone is on the Francigena right now I'd love to here how this process is effecting you.
Absolutely. I downloaded the ArriveCan app the same day it was released lol. I am a chronic over preparer. The anxiety of not being ready for any situation is very unsettling. I will loosen the controls on my Camino I am sure.
I found this on Canadian consulate in France page.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am due to fly out from the US for the Via Francigena mid-August. So far, I am planning on bringing my vaccine card. It seems Aug 6 is a big change date-- stricter requirements. I am hoping by then I can go to a pharmacy to obtain the green pass. Also an over-preparer here. One reason I need the walk-- acceptance, acceptance.

I am due to fly out from the US for the Via Francigena mid-August. So far, I am planning on bringing my vaccine card. It seems Aug 6 is a big change date-- stricter requirements. I am hoping by then I can go to a pharmacy to obtain the green pass. Also an over-preparer here. One reason I need the walk-- acceptance, acceptance.
Today I found this article and posted it on the Via Francigina Facebook group:

It looks like we are one of five countries who will be able to use our country of origin documentation in leiu of the Green Pass. Like you I am a chronic over planner. So yeah, walking a camino route is always an interesting dance 😁

A little information for travellers from Canada to Spain who plan to transit in London Heathrow Airport. It seems possible to transit physically, that is, to remain "airside" while going from an Air Canada flight from Canada to a British Airways flight to Valencia, Spain on the same Air Canada ticket, leaving from a different terminal (arriving in terminal 2 and leaving from terminal 5). But passengers transiting "airside" still need a covid test, specifically an antigen test done shortly before flying. In Calgary, the airport offers this test, as do many pharmacies.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I contacted the Italian Consulate in San Francisco and they emailed me right back, as of 7/29 US citizens need only CDC vaccination card (mine is white) to enter Italy. I then downloaded a QR code from the California website and I have a hard copy of that, just in case. I have tickets for mid September and plan to keep tracking the situation. I assume the Italian Consulate is the best place to get timely info?

I tried the website to get the green pass but was not successful. I may get a covid test shortly before departure, just in case I need to show that, too.

But I am wondering if it will be possible to stay in the albergues in October? Or monasteries, or any group accommodations? I have been counting on that to make my walk affordable and flexible, and enjoyable

Are they requiring vax certificates? I hope so!

I am glad we decided to change our flight, which was originally scheduled to land in London, to Paris. Eliminates adding another country to the mix. Two weeks today!

We have just received an email from Air France indicating that as of August 9th France will be requiring a health pass for airlines, trains, cafes etc. Does anyone know how this would impact Canadians flying into Paris and on to Biarritz? I down loaded the health pass app but it requires a QR code which we do not have.
Thanks for any info! 10 days and counting...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We have just received an email from Air France indicating that as of August 9th France will be requiring a health pass for airlines, trains, cafes etc. Does anyone know how this would impact Canadians flying into Paris and on to Biarritz? I down loaded the health pass app but it requires a QR code which we do not have.
Thanks for any info! 10 days and counting...
I think this is what is referred to in this document as the ‘activity’ health pass which is different from the health pass that gets you into France. At least that’s my understanding. Check the bottom part of this document specifically.
Good luck and Buen Camino!

I think this is what is referred to in this document as the ‘activity’ health pass which is different from the health pass that gets you into France. At least that’s my understanding. Check the bottom part of this document specifically.
Good luck and Buen Camino!
As always the members of this forum rock! Thank you for easing our minds as this seems to be a ever moving target. I will be sure to post updates as our travels unfold.

Whew…. 21 days and counting. Wasn’t looking forward to added stress. Thank you for sharing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Arrived in France from the United States yesterday. Air France checked my documents before issuing a real boarding pass. They did check my CDC white vaccinations card. I had received and carried proof of a negative Covid test and a French attestation form just in case. No official asked for any going through airports, including transiting through CDG to Nice. Rules are due to change about August 9. I am hoping to get a health pass from a pharmacy because public spaces including restaurants and museums are supposed to ask. Now that I am here I am worried about changes that I might not learn about while hiking on le Chemin. Hope the forum will keep me updated!

I have no idea about Italy, but as to France, the extent to which the new rules that the Government wants will be imposed in practice remains an unknown -- though their vaxx passport will certainly be required for long-distance travel and for access to venues owned by big business.

At least neither France nor Italy has imposed the scheme on hotels etc, so that access to the Albergues and gîtes and so on will not be conditional. And in Italy, the outside seating in bars and restaurants is also free of such restriction.

The most annoying thing, potentially, for pilgrims in France who are not vaccinated will be when restaurant and bar owners choose to comply with the Government mandate, and so might refuse service. So that if there is no shop, some could potentially go hungry and thirsty.

Whereas for comparison, one single pilgrim so far has become ill with the disease this year in Spain.

Nevertheless, given that the next respiratory diseases season will start in Europe towards September-October and will continue to be Covid-dominated, I would personally advise those who do not have unconditional freedoms of travel in these countries to seriously consider delaying their Camino plans 'til Spring 2022.

I personally can probably slip between the raindrops, though I will likely be sleeping outdoors through Portugal, but my situation is an unusual one and outside the norm. And I know what the legal loopholes are.

And sleeping outside doesn't bother me, which will not be the attitude of most.

Nothing in this is medical or sanitary advice, which of course each should seek where they reside, and is intended solely to be precautionary to those for whom a Camino may be a more serious financial and organisational undertaking. OK if you're in Europe and with basic European travel rights and possibilities, but those from other continents should consider their plans with great care, and ensure the ability to cancel them if needed.

I think you are referring to an EU Digital COVID Certificate. It is only available to EU citizens.

The rest of us will need to bring whatever proof we have of vaccination and/or COVID test results and hope it will be accepted. That may mean a longer wait at both airport checkin and border control.

The good news is that Canada and the USA are both on the EU’s List of Epidemiologically Safe Countries Amid COVID-19. If you arrive from a "safe" country you may only need to show your passport to be admitted.
I am astonished that the US is deemed a safe country with covid numbers rising steadily.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back