• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Greenery in Portomarin

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Possibly feast of St Christopher celebrated in parts of Spain around now. Possibly🌿

There is a tradition in Portomarín to have a procession in honour of a Santa Isabel and a Festa do Ramallo on the first Sunday in July, see this photo and article of 8 July 2013. You can find a number of similar photos for the Festa do Ramallo in Portomarín:

Ramallo.png Ramallo .png

The photo below was posted on Twitter/Instagram today. The text that accompanies it says that they arrived in Portomarín today and found that the Camino de Santiago had been transformed into a senda vegetal hasta la cima donde se encuentra la iglesia fortaleza.

Portom July 2019.png

Edited to add: Festa do Ramallo, na honra de santa Isabel, o primeiro domingo de xullo, is one of the fiestas of Portomarín. See also http://www.noticieirogalego.com/informacion-de-interese-portomarin/

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Even though you might not understand much, the locals will be pleased that you are showing interest in them!
I cannot be sure but I guess that @falcon269 saw the greenery on the Portomarín webcam. If I had thought that he was in Portomarín I would not have bothered to reply. And he would not have asked this question on this forum. :)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I can't make out what the green plants on the road are. Decorating the church and the houses with green plants or small trees or branches for a village festival is familiar to me but I've never seen so much green on the road for the procession to walk upon. Is this something typical for Spain or for Galicia?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I can't make out what the green plants on the road are. Decorating the church and the houses with green plants or small trees or branches for a village festival is familiar to me but I've never seen so much green on the road for the procession to walk upon. Is this something typical for Spain or for Galicia?
It seems that they are cane plants.
No. Branches (ramallos) on the floor are not typical for Galicia or Spain. More common are flowers.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In 2016 when I was walking into Finisterre on a Sunday in June, we found greenery like that in front of a church. There were several people still putting the greenery into a design. We stopped to ask what they were celebrating, and a woman answered, 'Sacramento'. Meaning what we call Corpus Christi. Though the Roman official date of that celebration had already been a couple of weeks beforehand, another said that in Galicia the dates are different -- and this was when they celebrated it. But it sounds like you've found out which feast it was.

The greenery they used at Corpus Christi was indeed fennel which had been growing in the marshy areas along the road. The aroma was heavenly.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back