• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Greetings from a newbie!

briantand

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2022
Hello fellow pilgrims! 😊 My name is Brian and I am from Minneapolis, Minnesota in the US. I am making my first Camino starting on April 1st, 2022 from St. Jean-Pied-de Port. Already enjoying reading the great advice and wisdom shared on this board. 🙏🏻 Any other Camino planning resources you would recommend for a newbie?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Great source of information for dozens of Camino routes, especially albergue and other accommodations information. The site is only in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English or the language of your choice.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Great source of information for dozens of Camino routes, especially albergue and other accommodations information. The site is only in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English or the language of your choice.
Thank you so much! I will check out this site.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello fellow pilgrims! 😊 My name is Brian and I am from Minneapolis, Minnesota in the US. I am making my first Camino starting on April 1st, 2022 from St. Jean-Pied-de Port. Already enjoying reading the great advice and wisdom shared on this board. 🙏🏻 Any other Camino planning resources you would recommend for a newbie?
Trailsmart is a great app. It includes accommodations,stores,atms,etc... Also it works offline.

Although they do say that failing to plan is planning to fail, they also say that no plan survives contact with the enemy. I don't mean that the Camino is your enemy, but no matter how carefully you plan, something is bound to go wrong and your plans go out the window. The old Yiddish proverb, “We plan, God laughs,” or Man makes plans … and God laughs. (Proverbs 19:21) (It's not verbatim, but it's the gist of it.)
So I would advise you not to plan too much. Allow a few days more than you think you need before you book your return flight. Go with the flow. If you don't need the extra days, time to tour Santiago or carry on to Muxía or Finisterre. I also recommend Efren Gonzalez' videos. Informative and entertaining. It's not a race. Allow an extra day for Burgos and León, possibly Astorga too. If you can find a shopping trolley in SJPdP, buy one and put your rucksack on it. Carry the trolley when the going is too rough. But it will be a blessing when you are on tarmac. I used a folding trolley on five caminos. [Foldable-Luggage-Carrier-Bungee-Shopping]

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Over a lifetime I have learned the wisdom of the saying "Plans are useless, planning is essential." (Ike Eisenhower, I think)

By which is meant "The Plan" never really is up to the task but the effort in planning prepares the mind and heart for intelligent adaptation as circumstances change.

Start slow and let your body tell you when you can move faster.

No matter how light your pack is, leaving any expectations in it will make it too heavy.

After that, it's just one step after another to the west. (If your hat floats, you have gone too far.)

B

Also, learn a few words in the Basque language (Euskera): Egun on (Good morning), Mesedez (Please), and especially Eskerik asko (Thank you) --- and enough Spanish to order food in a bar/cafe or restaurant. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Also, learn a few words in the Basque language (Euskera): Egun on (Good morning), Mesedez (Please), and especially Eskerik asko (Thank you)
I agree. In the Basque Country my greeting workers on the way to a factory or something with a cheery buenos dias brought no responses.

Also, try to use Castellano in place of the word Español which you may have learned in school.

Check out Dan Mullins on My Camino the podcast. He has over 200 episodes with pilgrims and it’s a great way to learn while walking

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A great source for free downloadable camino-tracks can be found on the website of the Dutch fraternity of St. James. This page is (also) in English:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Welcome, new pilgrim (you are a pilgrim now, as you have already started your direction towards your Camino). to this forum of experienced pilgrims from all over the world.

Although they do say that failing to plan is planning to fail, they also say that no plan survives contact with the enemy. I don't mean that the Camino is your enemy, but no matter how carefully you plan, something is bound to go wrong and your plans go out the window. The old Yiddish proverb, “We plan, God laughs,” or Man makes plans … and God laughs. (Proverbs 19:21) (It's not verbatim, but it's the gist of it.)
So I would advise you not to plan too much. Allow a few days more than you think you need before you book your return flight. Go with the flow. If you don't need the extra days, time to tour Santiago or carry on to Muxía or Finisterre. I also recommend Efren Gonzalez' videos. Informative and entertaining. It's not a race. Allow an extra day for Burgos and León, possibly Astorga too. If you can find a shopping trolley in SJPdP, buy one and put your rucksack on it. Carry the trolley when the going is too rough. But it will be a blessing when you are on tarmac. I used a folding trolley on five caminos. [Foldable-Luggage-Carrier-Bungee-Shopping]

Excellent advice! Thank you! I also subscribe to the view of “Go with the flow” and allow for God’s Grace and providence to be the ultimate guide.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
I will arrive at SJDP 1st of May .. less than a month to go ! Any tips? Should I train walking with my backpack ?
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.