• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Greetings from Sevilla

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
¡Hola a todos!

Greetings from a sun drenched but relatively cool Sevilla. My camino begins as the new year begins and I feel it has been a very long time in the planning. I´m here now for a few days before beginning to walk on my own. I feel a strange mixture of excitement and apprehension...but I know all will be well. Whilst the shops as ever at this time of the year are crowded as modern Spanish families buy both presents for Christmas and then the Feast of the Kings the centre is quiet compared to the spring and summer months. Yesterday I went to the Cathedral Office to obtain the first sello of the journey. The girl on security was helpful and directed me to the office. It had all of the hallmarks of a church office at this time of the year...discarded vestments over a chair, a breviary with a copy of Adester Fideles as the bookmark and several bottles of wine. Alas no Keeper of the Sello was in attendance. After a while I asked the girl who had given me directions if she could stamp my Pilgim´s Record but there was no alternative to waiting for the proper official. What a place to wait! The Office is in the vestibule of the Day Chapel of the Cathedral, closed to tourists but open for private worship for parishioners. Quite splendid as might be expected in a cathedral they built "so big that the world will think we are mad". After some time a man shuffled in. He was like a distillation of many beadles, vergers and sacristans I have encountered over the years. He was clearly the Boss. He opened the office and motioned me in. When I asked for the stamp he opened a drawer in the most matter of fact way, produced an almost dry ink pad, made the mark and scribbled his initials and the date I was commencing..."Buen Camino" and I was dimissed. I tried to engage him a little mustering my best Spanish..."have there been other pilgrims recently...?" He looked at me as if I was asking how many astronauts had passed through his office. "It is cold" he replied with typical sacristan indifference.

So there we are. First sello. No Halleluia Chorus...but the adventure begins.

John, London/Sevilla

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Via de la Plata in the winter

I have walked the camino in May - an abundance of wild flowers - when it can be very hot. However, I think you should be prepared for some cold treks when crossing the higher ground, particularly between Calzada and Salamanca. Best of luck.

The man in the office

We started from Sevilla in April, but when you describe the pilgrimoffice in the cathedral in Sevilla, I can see "our man" in the same office. So may be it is the same procedure all the year around? First he is not there when he should be there. Then he gives us a stamp as if we are not there. ...

Good wishes for the walking!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back