• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Greetings from Zarautz...and note this accomodation

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
I got up late by Frances pilgrim standards but am also taking advantage of the later nights out that are able to be had when not in a pilgrims auberge. I got in pretty late from my small vegan joint, ends up the only two people in there were from England, a young couple in a band. We chatted on and on....

I returned to my young Rogers House where I could not tell if kids were still out or already asleep, it was super quiet and I'm pretty convinced this older lady outlasted them :) I only heard one person come in but I was pretty tired. The street below was a huge festivity of young swelling out into the streets having a great time, you are buffered from the noise here in that the rooms face the back. A nice American kid in his twenties came and sat down with me in the kitchen where I was trying to write some of my thoughts. He teaches English in central Spain.

He all of a sudden said, " WOW , are those HOKAs? Staring down at my feet. I searched high and low for the perfect shoe for me thus trip, last year I wore Brooks ( Adrenalines), and in my final days felt the cushion go, with that said those shoes did me SO right!!!! I was convinced I would Keen this trek but honestly thry didn't feel totally right on me. A friend mentioned Hokas as he is starting to increase his running, a nice explanation of them had me wonder if these might be good Camino shoes. Clearly the ugliest shoe out there, big looking and they almost resemble those awful Sketchers in the States that are trying to convince women they will shape their calves. BUT the HOKA is not this, while it looks heavy I doubt there is lighter running shoe out there, and the foot plate is a nice size, extra large. These are the shoes for ultra marathoners on all terrain and I gambled and bought them (cha ching....$170 or $180. So far so good!

At 0945 I was out the door, heading to the park on this little bulb of land between the two beaches. I suspect 100 surfers were in the water yesterday when I came in. I climbed up to this fort overlooking the water and must admit it didn't seem like the natural choice knowing I had climbs yesterday and today. At around 1020 I decided to indulge on a cafe con leche and fresh squeezed orange juice at a place where you were totally paying for the real estate but that was the adventure I sought in those few minutes and have no regret. I sat out on a restaurant overlooking the beach, you see places like this from the 1920 scenes, I looked out watching many kids soccer leagues playing on the beach and spent I think 6 euros.

I didn't stay where David mentioned in his book so was a little anxious about how to proceed on trail to get out, it ends up his drawing was perfect and my worry was unfounded. The trail was clearly marked all day!!!! No chance of getting lost!!!! Grumbled under my breath over the ascents...they kill me...but they buy you views and I loved this walk. I'm amazed that Ocean views that in the States would have huge mansions built there have a cow or two in the most prime of spots.

My funny for the day...as I was walking I passed a gorgeous, large " working farm"... I heard what I thought was an older man yelling , "help me!!!". I assessed the situation slightly but thinking he could be chopping wood etc... And easily having a heart attack. I then wondered is it a goat? When I'm tired I might as well be drunk( so I plead I was tired). I then really did think it was a man, and imagined myself having to throw off my backpack and do CPR on some farmworker. Then I convinced myself it was an animal, then back to a heart attack victim...just as I was really about to head down to the house I realized I am in Spain and that some heart attack victim would not be yelling in English.....Not the brightest moment in my life.

I was pleasantly surprised how much the Ocean was in my view today. I had hand written notes in my book where someone had said the stretch to Orio had " beautiful rocks ".... I cursed those rocks with every step. As I left San Sebastian on the hill an American man was coming out of a hotel there, we exchanged a few words about my trek and how he was looking for someplace to go today. About fifteen minutes from Orio, he, his wife and daughter came up behind me. They decided to spend the day going to Orio and back. She is educated in Madrid and they are visiting her. He kept offering to take my backpack for me, it is too heavy thisCamino BUT I had to pack for different weather. I appreciated the gesture but told him I don't think I would put it back on if I experienced a walk without it. We all joked how for safety my hubby has GPS set up on my phone, many times he can tell me where I am at better than I can. I joked if he didn't have it I might have escaped to Rome, Italy....drinking under some umbrella with huge shades and a sundress...the whole time blogging how tired I was and sore....
He joked his wife And he could hold my phone for a few days and offered me the escape....
" or better yet", he said...."you can attach it to one of those goats for a few days. We joked then it would look like I was romping in the hay with a shepherd....:) Talking to them helped me in those final minutes...I am tired and sore...I underestimated this trip BUT its beauty is second to none.

I walked on to Zarautz...knowing the auberge is closed and wondering what was in store for me for the night. i didn't want to spend a lot for a bed as my only intention was to sleep.... The information office was closed BUT they had a map of accommodations so I headed to the youth hostel, not certain I wanted that experience. I have been fighting a cold, sniffles and congestions since day one and just wanted to sleep...
I made the perfect decision in grabbing a gelato on a cone to get me thru my final footsteps of the day-that was brilliant!!! Then I passed a street with a small square, I love city squares!!!! People were gathering and one offered a pension. I almost didn't stop because I remembered the cost in David's book for the non youth hostel accommodation, but went in. The bar is on the first floor and the pension is nice and upstairs. The prices I think said 50/60 Euros and I am so glad I asked the nice man if they had a pilgrim's price. I got a small, totally efficient room for 25 Euros. ...it is called TXIKIPOLIT and the restaurant was full to capacity!!!!!
Towards end of town on the left side of the main street back in that area.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am falling over laughing. The man was having a "hard attack". If I can keep reading such long posts in the next 10 days before i depart for the Via DLP I will be one Happy caminoist. You are wonderful, I cant wait until you start meeting your "family"and describe them. You may be using predictive text that may be playing tricks on you BUT it is good reading. Buen Camino...

S
I am falling over laughing. The man was having a "hard attack". If I can keep reading such long posts in the next 10 days before i depart for the Via DLP I will be one Happy caminoist. You are wonderful, I cant wait until you start meeting your "family"and describe them. You may be using predictive text that may be playing tricks on you BUT it is good reading. Buen Camino...

That predictive text gets me all of the time.
Last year on the Frances I. Had gotten my ipad the day before I left....
I meant to say " blister " when describing a fellow forum members situation and said, "huge bolder"...friends still make fun of that one.
And at one of my favorite bars on trail, the one with all of the graffiti... I meant to say, " the woman behind the bar (loved her!!!).... And I typed , " the woman beating the bat"....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
S

That predictive text gets me all of the time.
Last year on the Frances I. Had gotten my ipad the day before I left....
I meant to say " blister " when describing a fellow forum members situation and said, "huge bolder"...friends still make fun of that one.
And at one of my favorite bars on trail, the one with all of the graffiti... I meant to say, " the woman behind the bar (loved her!!!).... And I typed , " the woman beating the bat"....

Whatever you say I am going to be reading. I got myself a new phone yesterday in prep for next weeks Camino...I know already it will be fun trying to txt,msg, blog, att jpegs, but what the hell, you keep posting, and I'll keep laughing...out loud, and think of Gerard climbing over the wall Torres del Rio and love this forum

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Enjoying your great posts. I just can't seem to get any posting in when walking. :(
I had posted a response and update and they didn't post:(
I had shared I actually am finding I have zero time to email real life friends who have encouraged me or even to update my blog...BUT I know we have so many pre season questions here so I thought a picture of an actual pre season Norte might help. I guess you all have shared so much with me naturally I find I want to share my days here....
Since I letting my real life fall apart by not sharing on my blog or email hubby is going to cut and paste these posts there:)

I wanted to share an update on accommodations in Zarautz, I heard several pilgrims stayed at the campsite not sure of what that involved but they didn't have tents....it was five euros and i heard they liked it....

I got up late by Frances pilgrim standards but am also taking advantage of the later nights out that are able to be had when not in a pilgrims auberge. I got in pretty late from my small vegan joint, ends up the only two people in there were from England, a young couple in a band. We chatted on and on....

I returned to my young Rogers House where I could not tell if kids were still out or already asleep, it was super quiet and I'm pretty convinced this older lady outlasted them :) I only heard one person come in but I was pretty tired. The street below was a huge festivity of young swelling out into the streets having a great time, you are buffered from the noise here in that the rooms face the back. A nice American kid in his twenties came and sat down with me in the kitchen where I was trying to write some of my thoughts. He teaches English in central Spain.

He all of a sudden said, " WOW , are those HOKAs? Staring down at my feet. I searched high and low for the perfect shoe for me thus trip, last year I wore Brooks ( Adrenalines), and in my final days felt the cushion go, with that said those shoes did me SO right!!!! I was convinced I would Keen this trek but honestly thry didn't feel totally right on me. A friend mentioned Hokas as he is starting to increase his running, a nice explanation of them had me wonder if these might be good Camino shoes. Clearly the ugliest shoe out there, big looking and they almost resemble those awful Sketchers in the States that are trying to convince women they will shape their calves. BUT the HOKA is not this, while it looks heavy I doubt there is lighter running shoe out there, and the foot plate is a nice size, extra large. These are the shoes for ultra marathoners on all terrain and I gambled and bought them (cha ching....$170 or $180. So far so good!

At 0945 I was out the door, heading to the park on this little bulb of land between the two beaches. I suspect 100 surfers were in the water yesterday when I came in. I climbed up to this fort overlooking the water and must admit it didn't seem like the natural choice knowing I had climbs yesterday and today. At around 1020 I decided to indulge on a cafe con leche and fresh squeezed orange juice at a place where you were totally paying for the real estate but that was the adventure I sought in those few minutes and have no regret. I sat out on a restaurant overlooking the beach, you see places like this from the 1920 scenes, I looked out watching many kids soccer leagues playing on the beach and spent I think 6 euros.

I didn't stay where David mentioned in his book so was a little anxious about how to proceed on trail to get out, it ends up his drawing was perfect and my worry was unfounded. The trail was clearly marked all day!!!! No chance of getting lost!!!! Grumbled under my breath over the ascents...they kill me...but they buy you views and I loved this walk. I'm amazed that Ocean views that in the States would have huge mansions built there have a cow or two in the most prime of spots.

My funny for the day...as I was walking I passed a gorgeous, large " working farm"... I heard what I thought was an older man yelling , "help me!!!". I assessed the situation slightly but thinking he could be chopping wood etc... And easily having a heart attack. I then wondered is it a goat? When I'm tired I might as well be drunk( so I plead I was tired). I then really did think it was a man, and imagined myself having to throw off my backpack and do CPR on some farmworker. Then I convinced myself it was an animal, then back to a heart attack victim...just as I was really about to head down to the house I realized I am in Spain and that some heart attack victim would not be yelling in English.....Not the brightest moment in my life.

I was pleasantly surprised how much the Ocean was in my view today. I had hand written notes in my book where someone had said the stretch to Orio had " beautiful rocks ".... I cursed those rocks with every step. As I left San Sebastian on the hill an American man was coming out of a hotel there, we exchanged a few words about my trek and how he was looking for someplace to go today. About fifteen minutes from Orio, he, his wife and daughter came up behind me. They decided to spend the day going to Orio and back. She is educated in Madrid and they are visiting her. He kept offering to take my backpack for me, it is too heavy thisCamino BUT I had to pack for different weather. I appreciated the gesture but told him I don't think I would put it back on if I experienced a walk without it. We all joked how for safety my hubby has GPS set up on my phone, many times he can tell me where I am at better than I can. I joked if he didn't have it I might have escaped to Rome, Italy....drinking under some umbrella with huge shades and a sundress...the whole time blogging how tired I was and sore....
He joked his wife And he could hold my phone for a few days and offered me the escape....
" or better yet", he said...."you can attach it to one of those goats for a few days. We joked then it would look like I was romping in the hay with a shepherd....:) Talking to them helped me in those final minutes...I am tired and sore...I underestimated this trip BUT its beauty is second to none.

I walked on to Zarautz...knowing the auberge is closed and wondering what was in store for me for the night. i didn't want to spend a lot for a bed as my only intention was to sleep.... The information office was closed BUT they had a map of accommodations so I headed to the youth hostel, not certain I wanted that experience. I have been fighting a cold, sniffles and congestions since day one and just wanted to sleep...
I made the perfect decision in grabbing a gelato on a cone to get me thru my final footsteps of the day-that was brilliant!!! Then I passed a street with a small square, I love city squares!!!! People were gathering and one offered a pension. I almost didn't stop because I remembered the cost in David's book for the non youth hostel accommodation, but went in. The bar is on the first floor and the pension is nice and upstairs. The prices I think said 50/60 Euros and I am so glad I asked the nice man if they had a pilgrim's price. I got a small, totally efficient room for 25 Euros. ...it is called TXIKIPOLIT and the restaurant was full to capacity!!!!!
Towards end of town on the left side of the main street back in that area.
I am looking forward to hearing more about your experience with the Hokas. When the sales person at the local running gear store suggested them today, I took one look and responded, "Those are the ugliest shoes I have ever seen." Then I tried them on and they felt great. My dad used to run ultras (Leadville, Western States, etc.) so when I heard that the ultra-marathoners are wearing them, I thought I must at least consider them as an option. ~Alyssa

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.