• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Greetings kind pilgrims! Walking from Astorga in September

RobOH

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning Sept-Oct 2023
Thank you everyone for your insights on these forums! I've learned so much. I'm planning my first camino and it's been super helpful. It's really great to see such an active and supportive community.

Because of my work schedule, time off, etc., I have about 2.5 weeks available this fall. I was able to snag a good flight and my plan right now is to start from Astorga on Sept. 22 (a Friday), planning on anything from 11 to 13 days walking. I want to be flexible on my daily distance. It's also a bit of a faith exercise for me not to overplan this trip. (I'm a compulsive planner by nature.)

I have contemplated trying to move my flight a week out since I've learned about the big wave that leaves SPDP at the beginning of September. I also thought maybe of starting somewhere else. But, I would like to see Santiago de Compostela and Galicia.

Anyway, I'm kind of hoping that by the time that September wave reaches Astorga/Galicia, it will have stretched out a bit and finding accommodation won't be too challenging. I figure I'll learn as I go... but I couldn't resist asking.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Anyway, I'm kind of hoping that by the time that September wave reaches Astorga/Galicia, it will have stretched out a bit and finding accommodation won't be too challenging. I figure I'll learn as I go... but I couldn't resist asking.
I would say you're right.

Stick to your plan: It sounds good.

Buen Caminno!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The main issue with the large numbers starting at the beginning of September from SJPdP is the fact that accommodations are pretty limited between SJPdP and Pamplona, so most people end up staying in the same towns on that stretch. After Pamplona there are more intermediate towns and the pilgrim traffic tends to spread out, so that by Astorga there shouldn't be a big clump of pilgrims in any given town

Thank you everyone for your insights on these forums! I've learned so much. I'm planning my first camino and it's been super helpful. It's really great to see such an active and supportive community.

Because of my work schedule, time off, etc., I have about 2.5 weeks available this fall. I was able to snag a good flight and my plan right now is to start from Astorga on Sept. 22 (a Friday), planning on anything from 11 to 13 days walking. I want to be flexible on my daily distance. It's also a bit of a faith exercise for me not to overplan this trip. (I'm a compulsive planner by nature.)

I have contemplated trying to move my flight a week out since I've learned about the big wave that leaves SPDP at the beginning of September. I also thought maybe of starting somewhere else. But, I would like to see Santiago de Compostela and Galicia.

You should be fine, although a fair number will have passed through Astorga the week before you arrive if history repeats itself. It’s a good time of year to walk, virtually everything will be open. There is really no need to plan.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would book Astorga though (especially if you want to be in the city centre) - its a tourist town as well as a pilgrim town.

I wouldn't worry too much about that earlier wave. By the time they reach Astorga, some will have dropped off and the rest will have spread out. And you will be well past the peak summer time for the Sarria to Santiago portion.

You say you have 2.5 weeks available and are planning on anything from 11 to 13 days. Astorga is about 257km from Santiago so that works out to 20-23km/day. I think this is a decent and doable range for a first Camino if nothing goes wrong. I always advise a few days cushion in case something takes you out of action for a few days. So if you have 2.5 weeks, I'd use most or all of them and give yourself a few extra days at the end you can spend in Santiago or visiting Finisterre/Muxia, but are available to eat into if things don't go as planned.

I would book Astorga though (especially if you want to be in the city centre) - its a tourist town as well as a pilgrim town.
Oh yes, 100%. I’m planning to spend 2-nights there to get my bearings, see the town and recover a bit from the jet lag. I travel a lot so I know how it feels. I kind of subscribe to the power through it school, lol. But coming from the states, I’ll have a long travel day to recover from.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wouldn't worry too much about that earlier wave. By the time they reach Astorga, some will have dropped off and the rest will have spread out. And you will be well past the peak summer time for the Sarria to Santiago portion.

You say you have 2.5 weeks available and are planning on anything from 11 to 13 days. Astorga is about 257km from Santiago so that works out to 20-23km/day. I think this is a decent and doable range for a first Camino if nothing goes wrong. I always advise a few days cushion in case something takes you out of action for a few days. So if you have 2.5 weeks, I'd use most or all of them and give yourself a few extra days at the end you can spend in Santiago or visiting Finisterre/Muxia, but are available to eat into if things don't go as planned.
Perfect. Thanks so much. I have about 2-3 slack days built in just for those reasons. Whether it’s a recovery day, and extension, an extra day in SdP or maybe Madrid on my way out. Or if I’m just slow! Lol. 🐌

I gleaned lots of good insights from these discussions and they all went into my planning.

You're asking many of the same questions I also have, along with my same concerns. However, I have not booked my flight as I am still deciding between 3rd or 4th week of Sept. starting from Leon on the CF and with similar time restrictions. I am looking forward to the responses to your thread...

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
Wondering what public transit is available from Porto to Caminha.
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.