A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Gregorian Chants

Camino(s) past & future
Plan 2018
Peregrinos, can you help me with the names of the towns where the Catholic Churches in El Camino Frances have Gregorian Chants. Gracias! Humbertico

Advertisment

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
The brothers in Rabinal offer a service in the evening and all pilgrims are welcome. It's a highlight of the Frances.
Not on the Frances but nearby are the monks at Santo Domingo de Silos, whose chanting is famous.
If you plan a rest day in Burgos, you can easily go there. Arrive in Burgos in time to take the but that leaves at about 5 - which gets you to SDdS in time for vespers. And then take the morning bus back. Or walk. From there to Burgos is 2 days on the Lana and 3 on the San Olav. The latter is 5-star walking.

Camino(s) past & future
Plan 2018
The brothers in Rabinal offer a service in the evening and all pilgrims are welcome. It's a highlight of the Frances.
Not on the Frances but nearby are the monks at Santo Domingo de Silos, whose chanting is famous.
If you plan a rest day in Burgos, you can easily go there. Arrive in Burgos in time to take the but that leaves at about 5 - which gets you to SDdS in time for vespers. And then take the morning bus back. Or walk. From there to Burgos is 2 days on the Lana and 3 on the San Olav. The latter is 5-star walking.
Thank You!

Advertisment

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
For the best of the best, give your feet a rest and take a bus ride from Burgos to Santo Domingo de los Silos. World class chants and a marvelous Romanesque cloister as well. Country bus leaves every afternoon from Burgos bus station. Return bus is at 0730-0800 in the morning so it's a two day affair. Every prayer every mass accompanied with the monks singing. A small quiet village perfect for a rest.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles May 2018 (flight and accommodation already booked!)
Used to waken the pilgrims at Rabanal with a CD of Gregorian chanting, slowly raising the volume. Told many guests we'd bring in one of the monks from next door every morning - some people are SO gullible - but it's a fabulous way to start the day.

kmrice

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago - Fisterra 2008
St. Jean Pied de Port - Santiago 2013
A bit of Camino magic for us: a very close friend of ours, Janet, died in 2012. She was the choir director of our parish; my wife was particularly close to her. Janet loved Gregorian chanting. We were walking the Camino on the first anniversary of her death and my wife was very sad, as was I, thinking about Janet and how we missed her. That afternoon, we arrived in Rabanal and learned that brothers there chanted. The service was so beautiful, and cheered us both up enormously. We returned in 2016, and again loved the chanting and thought of Janet.

Vivello

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, September/October 2014; Portugues, October 2015; Frances planned June 2018
I also recommend the side trip to Santo Domingo de Silos -- it was a highlight of my Camino, even though it required two days off the walk itself. I hadn't heard about it until I was nearing Burgos, and I made the decision to make the side trip, and it was magical. (I was walking with the Chant album on my phone without realizing I'd be walking very close to those same Spanish monks.) There are inexpensive pensiones across the plaza, and if you stay for a day, you can actually go sing with the monks at the earlier services. Transcendent.

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
I also recommend the side trip to Santo Domingo de Silos
I also recommend it. I have done it three times, and each was memorable for the other people I met after vespers. One man had played in the Atapureca caves as a boy long before it was an archeological dig! A fascinating conversation.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I also recommend the side trip to Santo Domingo de Silos -- it was a highlight of my Camino, even though it required two days off the walk itself. I hadn't heard about it until I was nearing Burgos, and I made the decision to make the side trip, and it was magical. (I was walking with the Chant album on my phone without realizing I'd be walking very close to those same Spanish monks.) There are inexpensive pensiones across the plaza, and if you stay for a day, you can actually go sing with the monks at the earlier services. Transcendent.
And don't miss the cloisters!

Bala

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (Oct 2015, SJPdP-Burgos)
Camino Frances (Burgos-Santiago 2018)
Getting there -- the only Rome2Rio listing is a bus that goes to Barbadillo del Mercado, and then a 20- minute taxi ride into Santo Domingo de Silos. Is there something else I should be looking for?

Bala

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (Oct 2015, SJPdP-Burgos)
Camino Frances (Burgos-Santiago 2018)
Perfect. Thanks!

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
L Camino Frances 3

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 18 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 68 16.8%
  • May

Votes: 108 26.7%
  • June