• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gregory Sage 45 backpack

marusia

Time of past OR future Camino
(2013)
I'm planning to start walking the Camino this April!!!! I've been looking at a Gregory Sage 45 backpack that fits me nicely. I'm wondering if any of you have had experience with it. Gracias!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello, I have the Gregory Jade 45 , and from what I read on the internet, more or les same features. Highly recommendable!!

I have a Gregory "Baltoro 65".
I'am 6' 180#...med. build. I've
been training for a year, packing everything I entend to
take on the Camino (22#). We are averaging 22/25 km. twice a week...the Gregory makes this easy. Fits like a glove, you hardly notice that there's anything on your back. You can certainly find one lighter..any way go to your backpacking store (REI) try a bunch on..loaded, walk around the store.
While your there make sure you have the best boots for the trip
and socks and pants and bag and..and...and.
Good Luck and BUEN CAMINO.
The Halls..Camino..8/28/13

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Gregory is a reasonably large, well-respected firm. The 45 L size is perfectly adequate (maybe even generous) for the pilgrim kit. If it fits you well, as you say, it sounds like a perfectly reasonable choice.

When we went to an outdoor shop for the first time, over a thousand differtent ones in stock..too much choice we only looked at the pricetag.However buying a backpack is a theme of almost " taylormade. so we tried every backpack in the shop just to prove the fitting and to go for the best. At the till we experienced the surprise of the price but never regretted it...our Opsprey's do what we want and feel comfortable.

The Gregory Sage 45 is very heavy considering the advances in backpack technology in the past 5 or 10 years. According to Gregory's own website, the "M" size of the Gregory Sage 45 weighs 1.53 kilograms (3 pounds 6 ounces).

You could cut 50% of this weight by using a Gossamer Gear Gorilla (715 grams size M) with 46 liters of storage space.

You could go even further by getting the Gossamer Gear G4 at 468 grams (size M) with 66 liters of total storage space but you can roll down the top no problem for smaller loads.

Highly recommended are the backpacks from Zpacks.com in Florida with lightweight cuban-fiber packs weighing just 238 grams.

Also look at the Exos and Hornet range of backpacks offered by Osprey. They are excellent but weight around 1 kilo depending on size and model.

All of this just to say that the Gregory is very heavy and you could easily shave 1 kilogram off your back by buying a lighter one. I have the Gossamer Gear Gorilla and I just love it. It is so light and comfortable I can't recommend it enough. I also have the Osprey Exos 58 which is extremely comfortable and comes in smaller sizes which would be better for the Camino.

If you don't mind the 1.53 kilos of the Gregory Sage 45 on your back for a month then I'd say go for it but if you are looking to lighten your load I would say skip this backpack and find something much lighter. Good luck!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just bought the same pack and for those researching bags, I'd like to recommend not just immediately going for the most lightweight. Although Ultra Lightweight is pursued with an almost cult like passion around here (and for good reason!), it's also incredibly important to know - and be honest- with yourself about what kind of pilgrim you are and what kind of support you really need. For various reasons, I'll have a bit more in my pack and really LOVE the extra padding and support.

My last Camino I hiked in a friend's super old, rather large pack. People would tease me along the Camino for being a small girl with a huge pack but because there was so much padding, I barely felt the weight. ( I bought and returned the Osprey Kyte 46 because it lacked adequate padding along the hip belt.)

All this to say, LOVE my new Gregory Sage and want to encourage fellow peregrinas to consider the packs that have a bit more cushion. Your hips and back will thank you later. :)

Buen Camino!

I think the ultra light packs mentioned in this thread are all boy packs. Right? The Sage is a girl pack. I learn a long time ago boys and girls are built differently. Luckily so :D:D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My husband has a Gregory Z30 with a 3 liter bladder (he usually fill with about 2 liters of water). He has just the right amount of space. Wayfarer is correct about having another opening being easier.

BTW, Wayfarer, where is that stop sign? I think my husband and I saw it last year. We were in Dingle last September during the big hurling match that ended in a drawl.

I have the Gregory Jade 28 and when full is as heavy as I would want. I am actually trying to drop down to about 5 kilos without water for our upcoming camino.

I have the Savant 38 (male version of the Sage). It is the most comfortable to wear and use pack I've ever tried. Doesn't have lots of bells and whistles, just a straight forward pack. I downsized from a Dueter 45/55 to force myself to carry less. So far the Savant at 14 lbs. total has been perfect. I'll likely end up with anther couple of pounds, but I don't think it will be a problem. My wife got the Jade 36 model and loves it.
Make sure you get the proper torso length.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I use the Gregory Z40 and find it great, yes it is a little heavy, but the layout suits me, especially the way the back zips open to allow access to gear at the bottom of the pack, this saves pulling everything out to get at the lower stuff.
I tried on the Z40 but it did not fit me well. Too bad, I liked the pack.
My old packs were front panel access. I'll never go back to top only.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.