• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gregory Zulu 40L as carry on.

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
I was planning to use my Gregory Zulu 40L pack for my September Norte/Primitivo trip. It is too big for carrying on. Given the ongoing airline issues with lost luggage, I've decided to acquire a pack that I can carry on. I've Googled and searched on this forum and the options are overwhelming. I will be carrying my pack the entire trip, not forwarding. I am looking for recommendations and advice. I am flying KLM from Canada to Spain and Vueling Airlines within Spain. I would greatly appreciate responses from folks who have had recent experience since the carry-on rules seem to have changed or are at least being more stringently enforced this year. Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wonder if you are being too quick to dismiss using the Gregory Zulu. Are you sure you cannot pack it, with perhaps another small personal bag, so that it fits into the carry-on profile?
I think @dougfitz is correct. Its not the size of the bag that is the problem, its the amount of "stuff" that is put in it. The larger the pack, the larger the temptation to take more "stuff".

Taking a small personal bag will also help with boarding.

For me, I also carry all my kit, and I use a 32 litre Osprey.

I've flown with Vueling recently with no issues with a bag of 32l

Happy packing :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Strangely backpacks tend to gain less attention than carry on cases. But how close is it to the maximum dimensions? Could it be squeezed/bent to meet size?

Otherwise, how big a bag do you need? I have an Osprey 30l tempest in which I can fit either my full winter hiking kit or my summer kit with a tent - and this has been regularly on as cabin baggage.

I think @dougfitz is correct. Its not the size of the bag that is the problem, its the amount of "stuff" that is put in it. The larger the pack, the larger the temptation to take more "stuff".

Hi David, I'm interested to know... did you have to pay to take your backpack on board?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Strangely backpacks tend to gain less attention than carry on cases. But how close is it to the maximum dimensions? Could it be squeezed/bent to meet size?

Otherwise, how big a bag do you need? I have an Osprey 30l tempest in which I can fit either my full winter hiking kit or my summer kit with a tent - and this has been regularly on as cabin baggage.
and did you have to pay extra to carry it on as cabin baggage... .or did you carry it as one free small bag?

I was planning to use my Gregory Zulu 40L pack for my September Norte/Primitivo trip. It is too big for carrying on. Given the ongoing airline issues with lost luggage, I've decided to acquire a pack that I can carry on. I've Googled and searched on this forum and the options are overwhelming. I will be carrying my pack the entire trip, not forwarding. I am looking for recommendations and advice. I am flying KLM from Canada to Spain and Vueling Airlines within Spain. I would greatly appreciate responses from folks who have had recent experience since the carry-on rules seem to have changed or are at least being more stringently enforced this year. Thanks!
The volume ( 40L ) is less of an issue than measuring the rigid frame and how small you can cinch the pack. Iberia was definitely checking carryon dimensions a few weeks ago as their flights were full, therefore overhead capacity was limited. The only reason we were allowed to keep our bags despite being within the limits is that we had very little time between connections. It would not have been possible to retrieve checked bags, nor assume it would be transferred to next flight on time. Two of the traveling companions were asked to squish their backpacks under their seat. Look at the dimensions on the airlines and see if you can get your pack that small. Pack a small 'personal item' bag with the things you can't part with ( medication, paperwork, electronics? ) This might eliminate packing anything into the top hood of your pack and decrease the length. Good luck!
*** I used a Dueter 38L Woman's Pack

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wonder if you are being too quick to dismiss using the Gregory Zulu. Are you sure you cannot pack it, with perhaps another small personal bag, so that it fits into the carry-on profile?
KLM's carryon sizes are: 55cm x 25cm x 35cm. My Zulu totally empty is 65 cm long. That would make it checked not carry-on. I can't shorten the length of the empty bag.

Attachments

• Zulu length 2.jpg
    Zulu length 2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • Zulu length 1.jpg
    Zulu length 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50

Thanks. I am less concerned with the Vueling flights as they are short filghts, but it is good to know you had no issues! Toronto-Barcelona KLM flight has a layover in Amsterdam, where the airport seems to be very challenged. The Toronto airport is also a mess currently!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thanks for this. As you can see from my post above the totally empty bag is 10 cm over length and given the reports of KLM, they are enforcing the carryon rules rigidly--as many airlines are currently doing.

If the rigid frame is that far over then it will never fit in one of their test boxes. As for picking another pack it's looking for one that has a rigid frame less than 55cm, which probably means a smaller volume
Thanks for this. As you can see from my post above the totally empty bag is 10 cm over length and given the reports of KLM, they are enforcing the carryon rules rigidly--as many airlines are currently doing.

My loaded 36L Deuter went both ways as carryon, no questions asked. Airline counter personnel are usually more concerned about checked baggage than carryon. And when you get to the plane you’ll usually see that some people are ridiculously oversize with their carryons. At that point it’s all about getting it loaded and stowed so they can take off.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi dpatterson0516!
Sorry a bit long winded but i did get to my point about the Talon 33 was a great little pack!!!!!
I flew last year with an Osprey Talon 33 on Easyjet and Ryanair from UK to Porto and return from Santiago so not long haul!
The other bag i took was a Sea to Summit ultra sil day pack for under the seat!(70g fits in your pocket when not needed or clips to backpack)
I had a two bag option because for both i had booked front extra legroom seats.

Easyjet 1 bag for everyone dimensions were 45 x 36 x 20 cm (including any handles or wheels)
If you’d also like to bring a large cabin bag on board (max. 56 x 45 x 25 cm, including any handles or wheels)you need the upfront extra legroom.

Ryanair Priority was even smaller (40cm x 20cm x 25cm) and 55cm x 40cm x 20cm) and will be stored in the overhead locker.

I went through no probs was able to cinch down the Talon a lot (it's Dimensions (CM) are 65L / 28W / 25D )
to below even the Ryan air sizes!
I put batteries, my tablet, liquids, meds, wind jacket etc in the Sea to summit under the seat and docs, cash, cards in my pockets.
Checkout your carriers dimensions the above might give you hope ha!ha! :)so what i a m saying is after all that twaddle is you can squish it!!!
Woody

Hi. I recently flew KLM from Montreal to Amsterdam/Porto with a Gregory Jade 38 l bag. (Yes, it's a women's pack but useful for comparison.) No problem fitting it into the overhead bins and I was never questioned about the size. Good luck!

I used a Gregory Juno 36 backpack this year, and loved how easy it was to carry. It's dimensions are 21.7" x 11.8" x 9.8" / 55 x 30 x 25 cm.
The men's model is called the Citro, and has dimensions of 22" x 12.2" x 9.8" / 56 x 31 x 25 cm.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have the same pack (love it) and it was no problem for overhead storage.

and did you have to pay extra to carry it on as cabin baggage... .or did you carry it as one free small bag?
The original question was about cabin baggage rather than small "personal item".
Since I often fly Ryanair it's pretty much impossible given their insanely small personal item sizes to find a suitable hiking backpack to fit them. ( I have travelled with a bag that small on other trips for a week the cheapskate that I am). But for other airlines as the 30l osprey has a flexible frame and is 43cm long so with careful packing (without camping gear) it does fit the personal item size. I am tempted next time if its a warm season when caminoing and my pack isn't overly full to even try Ryanair's personal item dimensions and squish it in.

Can anyone verify about the ongoing airline issues with lost luggage? Does this apply to Vueling? I'll be coming from Asia and arriving in Barcelona then catching a Vueling flight to San Sebastian where we will start our Camino. It's happened to me once before and believe me it's no fun having to wait for your luggage to arrive a couple of days later.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Can anyone verify about the ongoing airline issues with lost luggage? Does this apply to Vueling? I'll be coming from Asia and arriving in Barcelona then catching a Vueling flight to San Sebastian where we will start our Camino. It's happened to me once before and believe me it's no fun having to wait for your luggage to arrive a couple of days later.
There are still problems in lots of airports with a lack of ground staff, and so it's not necessarilyan airline issue per se. You could be lucky and have no problems or unlucky and have luggage delayed but that has always been the gamble with checked luggage.
Could you take your pack onboard at least to Barcelona and check in a smaller bag with anything that can't be taken onboard eg penknife, walking poles, so that even if luggage goes astray it wouldn't completely derail your walk getting started?

There are still problems in lots of airports with a lack of ground staff, and so it's not necessarilyan airline issue per se. You could be lucky and have no problems or unlucky and have luggage delayed but that has always been the gamble with checked luggage.
Could you take your pack onboard at least to Barcelona and check in a smaller bag with anything that can't be taken onboard eg penknife, walking poles, so that even if luggage goes astray it wouldn't completely derail your walk getting started?
Thanks for the advice. Yes will make sure to pack some clothes inside the carryon luggage just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I am not comfortable checking my pack given our current uncertain travel environment. My Gregory Zulu is 10 km over KLM carry-on standards in length--totally empty, so there is no way I can address my challenge by squishing or adding a second bag. Although other folks may have travelled KLM with exactly the same bag as carry-on, I am not prepared to take the chance that I get the "by the book" check-in person! I have lots of time to work this out. My journey starts on September 7 lasting 40 days (and 40 nights...ha!), including 4 travel days and 36 days along del Norte and Primitivo. My hiking plan initially has 31 walking days with 5 rest days if needed. I am doing this in a minimalist manner with the absolute basics required to sustain my adventure. I am not a particularly religious person in the "organized" sense, but I am always eager to have new experiences, meet new people and extend my realm of possibilities. My Camino may teach me to my faith in an entity I haven't meet in 68 years, but I am not willing to trust an airline! I think I will be seeking a suitable pack that meets KLM's requirements. Thanks again. Stay safe.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have been considering this. I was planning to buy poles, knife etc. in Spain, but this is also an option. I don't believe I can take my oversized pack on board in Toronto since it is 10 cm oversize. Toronto is having huge issues with lost luggage currently.

Gossamer Gear backpacks (the Kumo, Gorilla, and G4-20) meet carry-on requirements.

Gossamer Gear backpacks (the Kumo, Gorilla, and G4-20) meet carry-on requirements.
I second this. I've been carrying on a Gossamer Gear backpack for years. Just measure the packed bag to be sure it doesn't extend too high. You can cinch the top down as much as necessary to stay within the limit. For me it's a comfortable pack and very lightweight.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My loaded 36L Deuter went both ways as carryon, no questions asked. Airline counter personnel are usually more concerned about checked baggage than carryon. And when you get to the plane you’ll usually see that some people are ridiculously oversize with their carryons. At that point it’s all about getting it loaded and stowed so they can take off.
We noticed this on our recent return from Lisboa as well. We flew Air Transat--Lisboa/Montreal/Vancouver. Some people had what I would consider ridiculously oversize backpacks for cabin luggage--and others had a regulation-sized wheelie roll-on PLUS another good sized shoulder bag.

It totally depends on the airline, I think.

But considering your backpack, as others have mentioned, it's only if the non-flexible frame is oversize that you can't make it shorter than its in-use length. Otherwise, if it's less than full, maybe finding a stuffsack that fits over it and compresses it to within-limits dimensions might work?

I have carried my bag on all six of my Caminos. I have flown on Iberia to Madrid and then either Vueling or Iberia Express. I used the same 44 Liter pack on all 6 caminos. I have never had a problem bringing my backpack on the plane or fitting it in the overhead compartment on the plane. I have also used it for flights from Mexico, where I live to New York to visit family and friends and have never had a problem with my pack on numerous different airlines. I have no loyalty to any airline I just look for the cheapest flight. I would never risk checking my backpack and having the airline lose my pack.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would never risk checking my backpack and having the airline lose my pack.
Agree. But what are the dimensions of your backpack? For the lowest risk (since there is a significant risk of having your pack rejected from the cabin), one should use a backpack that can be squished to the official required dimensions.

If if you use cinch straps you shouldn't have a problem making it fit and putting it in the overhead. Our bags stay with us on the plane in the overhead.

If if you use cinch straps you shouldn't have a problem making it fit and putting it in the overhead. Our bags stay with us on the plane in the overhead.
Thanks for the response, but as previously posted my bag is 10 cm oversized when it is empty so cinch straps aren't the answer. Prior to COVID we often witnessed many people with oversized bags and even sometimes more bags than were allowed to carry-on and the crew made it fit. No I think--not so much.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Agree. But what are the dimensions of your backpack? For the lowest risk (since there is a significant risk of having your pack rejected from the cabin), one should use a backpack that can be squished to the official required dimensions.
I cannot tell you the dimensions anymore as I bought it over 10 years ago and it finally feel apart and I had to get a new one I can say that being a 45 liter pack it was a larger pack and very, similar in size to other packs of that size. I have never been stopped by gate attendants or cabin crew and it easily did fit inside the overhead bin. I have been walking late fall/early winter caminos so with my extra clothes and larger sleeping bag my backpack is pretty full. I also carry a small pillow because if I try to sleep on a typical albergue pillow I would need to immediately go to the nearest chiropractor. ;)

It should be observed, I think, that the OP's Zulu 40L is probably the M/L one. The S/M one is at least an inch (2.54 cm) shorter. Also, KLM is more restrictive than some other airlines...United, for example, is 22" x 9" x 14".

Not to disagree with the OP's assessment, but to add needed context.

Just back from Spain carrying on board my 36L Osprey. No problems at all! On previous Caminos, that included flights on Iberia and Vueling, I’ve never had a problem bringing a 36L pack into the cabin with me at no extra charge. Even on the smaller planes, as long as you don’t overpack, it should fit in the overhead luggage area (just did this recently on a trip to CA). So, I can’t image that based on size alone, no idea about the frame of your pack, that a 40L pack will present any problems. Nonetheless, airlines aside, travel with a light pack. You don’t need much on the Camino. I like to keep my pack weight between 12-14 pounds. To walk far, carry less.

€83,-
For what it’s worth, my sons are presently walking the Camino Frances having flown from Washington, DC to New York (Delta) to Paris (American) to Bayonne (Air France), and they carried on their Zulu 40s the whole way. It can be done!

Buen Camino

I haven't read all of these replies. I have always carried my 36L Osprey Sirrus with a trampoline style back on all of my international flights with no problem. I always pre-measure the dimensions to make sure my contents comply with any current regulations. Small adjustments if needed are no issue.
I would choose to pack a bit less and if you worry, use packing tape for the flight to hold your items tightly before investing in a new pack out of fear.

I used the Gregory 40L in 2019. Carried on Seattle - Rekyavik - Paris - Biarritz and back! No problem. Good luck!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have always taken my Osprey 46L on Ryanair with no issues
The fact that max weight is 10kg helps me to keep my packing at a manageable level

In 2019 I carried the Gregory Zulu 40 as carry on luggage. This was on American Airlines from the US to Madrid. No issues.

I went on Camino Frances this past April. Took my Zulu 40 on American Airlines as a carry on. No problem.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just measured my Gregory Z40 L bought in 2011. I’m flying RyanAir too. You are correct, it won’t fit if you place it in the sizer like a suitcase. However, using a bit of Pythagoras' theorem, it might just slide in on the diagonal. Especially if you cinch it tight, and put some stuff in a separate carrier to go under your seat. My calculation gives the diagonal measurement of RyanAir's size box along the long sides as 58.5cm and,with a bit of flexing, the frame just fits. I'm not saying it will work but it could, possibly, might :)

I just measured my Gregory Z40 L bought in 2011. I’m flying RyanAir too. You are correct, it won’t fit if you place it in the sizer like a suitcase. However, using a bit of Pythagoras' theorem, it might just slide in on the diagonal. Especially if you cinch it tight, and put some stuff in a separate carrier to go under your seat. My calculation gives the diagonal measurement of RyanAir's size box along the long sides as 58.5cm and,with a bit of flexing, the frame just fits. I'm not saying it will work but it could, possibly, might :)
Just to complete my post above. Here are photos of my Gregory Z40, 2011 edition, pretty much packed as I’ll have it on the Camino. The top pocket (brain) is empty, and the contents are in a Nanobag that I’ll use as my under-seat carryon.

As you can see, the pack is in an Amazon box that, fortuitously, is 55cm x 36cm x 10cm. The length when placed diagonally works. But I’m now concerned that the 20cm width is going to be the issue. I can’t cinch down much more with it packed as it is, but I could take out some more stuff and place it in the Nanobag. It’ll be a bit of a squeeze getting the hip belt and shoulder straps to fit in the space, but I’m hoping they just might could (an NC turn of phrase I quite like.)

Anyway, I’ll know for certain Friday night! 😀

Attachments

• 36D84025-CAC6-430B-B93F-5BE7B1ACD356.jpeg
    36D84025-CAC6-430B-B93F-5BE7B1ACD356.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
  • 1DD1F800-21C8-45BA-A98B-74C3DC39F1FE.jpeg
    1DD1F800-21C8-45BA-A98B-74C3DC39F1FE.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • B1F1F2A8-CEC3-4E23-8C28-5A0A49EA85A8.jpeg
    B1F1F2A8-CEC3-4E23-8C28-5A0A49EA85A8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 26
Just to complete my post above. Here are photos of my Gregory Z40, 2011 edition, pretty much packed as I’ll have it on the Camino. The top pocket (brain) is empty, and the contents are in a Nanobag that I’ll use as my under-seat carryon.

As you can see, the pack is in an Amazon box that, fortuitously, is 55cm x 36cm x 10cm. The length when placed diagonally works. But I’m now concerned that the 20cm width is going to be the issue. I can’t cinch down much more with it packed as it is, but I could take out some more stuff and place it in the Nanobag. It’ll be a bit of a squeeze getting the hip belt and shoulder straps to fit in the space, but I’m hoping they just might could (an NC turn of phrase I quite like.)

Anyway, I’ll know for certain Friday night! 😀
Perhaps it was the two hour delay, but Gregory Z40 L (2011edition) allowed as overhead cabin baggage on RyanAir Edinburgh to Santiago direct. Once it was in the overhead it was clearly smaller than other rollaboard suitcases. I must say I love this backpack 😀

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used that very pack. Perfect. I carried mine on as my entire world was in there and wouldn’t let it out of my sight. Good luck and, don’t worry about it.

Update. Between Sep 2022 and Oct 2023 I made 3 Camino trips to Spain and Portugal with my Zulu 40 pack. All trips were from Toronto. Trip 1, checked poles, carried on the pack on flight to Barcelona KLM. Left poles behind on return. Trip 2 carried pack on, bought poles in Porto, gifted poles to fellow pilgrim.Flew Air Transat and Ryanair. Trip 3 checked pack with poles, both ways, flew Air Transat to Lisbon return.
On all flights I met other pilgrims. None carried on packs with poles. In Toronto and Lisbon, I witnessed poles being confiscated.
On my next Camino I plan to check my poles depending on the cost
Some airlines are charging more for a checked bag than the price of decent poles at Decathlon.

Some airlines are charging more for a checked bag than the price of decent poles at Decathlon.
Even Decathlon's cheapest poles (about €9/each) are totally suitable for the Caminos. I usually just leave them behind before going home as I never choose to check my back pack. I have been lucky twice when TSA allowed them to go through the scanner and stay with me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Even Decathlon's cheapest poles (about €9/each) are totally suitable for the Caminos. I usually just leave them behind before going home as I never choose to check my back pack. I have been lucky twice when TSA allowed them to go through the scanner and stay with me.
For the flat trails, I would agree, but I have two bad knees and could not have walked the San Salvador, the Norte nor the Primitivo without very sturdy poles on both the uphills and downhills. Certainly next year when I tackle the Pyrenees climb on the French, I will need excellent poles.

I found the cheapie poles to be very robust, and I have owned and used several types of poles. My expensive Leki poles I have at home are extremely lightweight and thin. I doubt they actually do a better job than Decathlons.

While I cannot speak to your poles, the Forclaz MT 500s I bought in Oviedo at their Decathalon were quite sturdy, and got me over the Primitivo. I paid a little over 11 euros to ship them and a guide book back from Santiago to Oviedo to the municipal albergue.

May want to take a look.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.