• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Griffon vultures along the Camino

pepi

Time of past OR future Camino
Last: Sept 2022
next 🤷
Vulture Pict..jpgOne of the highlights of walking in northern Spain, - especially in the first etapas of the Camino Frances over the Pyrenees and in the Picos de Europa –, is the sight of the majestic Vultures. One of the reasons why 90 percent of all European griffon vultures live in Spain is the behavior of the country's livestock farmers: Finca owners simply deposit dead animals in a remote corner of their land. In many places, "vulture restaurants" have also been set up, where the carcasses of dead cattle and horses are regularly deposited. For vultures, this is a found food, which they like to share with their mates: In the face of such a feast, griffon vultures let themselves be carried upward by updrafts in a helical path with almost no effort, like a glider, and use this "vulture spiral" to signal to even distant conspecifics that there is something to be had here.
Pilgrims halting once in a while to examine the sky above are often rewarded with the sight of this spectacular show.
(Source: Sonntagszeitung)

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you @pepi !
Here's a show that I immensely enjoyed: on the Via de Bayona before you get to Pancorbo, the camino goes through a gorge overlooked by a ridge of rocky pinnacles. Many of these spires had a perched vulture (or two), and there were more birds soaring in a loose kettle overhead. It was quite a sight. My walking companion generously forgave the repeated slack-jawed exclamations about this.
IMG_1193.JPG

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Crossing the Pyrenees I stopped for lunch and dozed off in the warmth, on awakening there were about a dozen lazily circling above me.
I walked the VdLP where one is a lot more isolated than on the Frances. On a particularly remote stretch in Galicia I noticed the vultures circulating progressively lower above me. I waved my poles in the air to let them that I wasn't ready for lunch yet.

Earlier, in Extremadura, I came across a cow's carcass just off the track. It had been thoroughly eviscerated by scavengers and was just a hide and bone. Quite a shock coming from a country where fallen livestock has to be incinerated very promptly.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you walk the Camino Aragonese from France via the Somport Pass, you will see hundreds of Griffon Vultures, as well as a few Imperial Eagles! The Foz de Lumbier is a waymarked variant of the Aragonese (along the north side of the Pantano de Yesa), it is a hidden gorge with an abandoned railway line and tunnel (now a park) that takes you deep into vulture country and back out the other side. Stupendous.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back