• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Grimaldo deviation

jamataster

Starting VdlP April 1st 2014 from Seville. Walked in 2012, and remember I ignored new route caused by right-of-way-dispute over finca-land somewhere near Grimaldo, and walked the old path in peace. Is it still possible to do this or are there strong reasons to walk the "new" and somewhat longer alternative? Any other major deviations on the way to SdC compared to April 2012? Thankful for comments/advice. Martin

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks Laurie for answering the question and listing my thread.

@jamataster suggest you pm me if anything is not clear after reading the post (I also took the old route in 2011).
There are notices up from the local Amigos asking you to use the new route. It's a pain - too much road-walking. It's now quite hard to find the old route.

I walked the route to Grimaldo in April, 2013. I chose to go the new route, while four others decided to try the old one. When they came to the locked fence the farmer had put up to keep pilgrims out, two decided to climb over, another went further down the road to make his own way across the fields and the fourth turned back. The two who climbed over the fence were able to walk the old route with no further problems. The one who walked further down the road had an adventure "bushwacking" across pastures and fields for several kilometers. The one who turned back was met by a local policeman in a car who told him that the farmer had no right to block the trail and the pilgrim should go back and climb over the fence. Regardless, we all made it to Grimaldo.

Side note - the last kilometer or two on the new trail up the hill to Grimaldo is a bit informal. It goes through people's back yards and gardens. If you are in Grimaldo on the weekend, you have to stop at the restaurant across the street from the albergue. It was the best meal I had on the VdlP.

The hospitalera in Grimaldo explained the history of the closing of Finca Larios.
Back in 2010 during Holy Year there was an increase in pilgrims along the VĂ­a de la Plata. One day the gate was left open (per the owner by a pilgrim but this could not be verified). As a consequence a bull escaped and caused an accident with a car. The bull was injured and car damaged. The judge ruled that the owner was responsible for payment but won the right to prohibit crossing his property.
What I understand is that the Amigos Assoc. is still fighting the ruling as the VĂ­a de la Plata crosses his land. In the mean time the Assoc. has rerouted the Camino through Riolobos.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have just come back from the Via de la Plata. I used the long route. Lets be fair here, the argument is simple. People want to use the route and claim to have a right to do so, yet the landowner is responsible for the mistakes of people he has not invited on to his land. Two options allow him to lock the gate and RESPECT this or idemnify him(the state) against risk.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from AlmerĂ­a. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back