• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Grinon and Belorado

crhutch

Time of past OR future Camino
(2010) March/April SJPP to Santiago and hence to Finisterre
(2016) Hospitalero Grañón 15-31 March
(2016) April Logroño to Santiago
(2017) Hospitalero Zamora 15-31 March
(2017) Hospilatero Emaus, Burgos 1-14 April
We are in a town called Belorado or something like that. Last night we were in a place called Grinon and stayed in a parish albegue. The sleeping living area was up in the bell tower of the church. We were given mattress that we layed on the floor and put our sleeping bags on. The washing machine was almost directly below the bells!! We got to go to a pilgrim´s mass and then we had a communal dinner. They had almost a full house and it was all very nice. Alberto from Italy was the Hospitalero and David from Canada (Vancouver) came in to relieve him. While were eating the winds and rain started and kept up all night. It was a nice day today, but the winds were a killer. We must of had something like 30 mph head winds making walking terrible. We did 10 miles today and decided to call it quits. We think that today with the second day crossing from Valcarlos to Roncevalles is the hardest we´ve had. I am starting to get a blister and am doing my best to to keep it at bay, but it is difficult. Last night there was this one Spaniard who what terrible blisters, about four to each foot. He was planning to do 30 k´s today. I am sure he will do it too, as he passed us about four miles out of Grinon. We are sitting in a bar now drinking a bit of wine deciding whether to stay or push on.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well done!
Last year the hostel at Granon was voted the best on the camino by voters on three different forums.

I can understand why the albergue at Grañon was voted as a favourite. It sure holds a warm place in my heart. On one trip I had planned to stay at Belorado but they had a large group booking that day so I went the extra 9 km (I believe) to Grañon where I had stayed previously. I have seldom been treated in such a caring and respectful way by anyone as I was by the person who greeted me there. I love the communal dinners, the singing of the nuns, hanging my washed clothes in the bell tower and even the sleeping on the mat on the floor.
Warm memories of Grañon
Cecelia

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Grinon was very nice and hospitable so I can understand why it is popular. We stayed at a red alburgue in Belorado called Cautro Cantones and it was ok, but not hospitable. After 17 miles we are in Ages now at the El Pajar de Ages which is private and friendly. Haven´t had dinner yet so can´t report on that. Tomorrow onto Burgos!

Hi, I'm enjoying your posts, glad that things are going so well.

I remember well the paella and the salad at the Pajar de Ajes. It was a great dinner, hope she's still doing that. I also very fondly remember the room on the first floor with only two bunk beds. The albergue is run by a woman from southern Spain, and my recollection is that she is considering opening another albergue along the Via de la Plata, I hope she's done it because she really knows how to run an albergue.

Burgos is next for you, enjoy! Laurie

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you decide to stop at Villafranca Montes de Oca, consider staying at the San Anton on the way out of town at the start of the path upward. It is lovely--large open rooms with sturdy wood bunks with excellent mattresses, beautiful tiled bathrooms, delightful sitting area with a window overlooking the valley and an incredible pilgrim meal downstairs. The alberque is in the back of a VERY nice hotel. Apparently it was created in thanksgiving by the hotel owner for his own experience on the Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back