• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Discover the Asociación Jacobea de Almería - Granada Camino Mozárabe through Gronze's Article (Spanish)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks to @C clearly for the link. I walked the Mozarabe branch from Malaga in winter 2019. Certainly a road less travelled and very much to my taste. The article does seem to have the "purist" tone that is common in Gronze articles. As a bit of a fossil and a pedestrian fundamentalist I have no problem with their slant on things. Of all the Caminos I have walked in recent years the Mozarabe was closest in spirit to my early Camino experience. Very low numbers and simple albergues. My sort of route.

Without reading (for me, necessarily in translation!) the article what I can say is how amazingly supportive the “Amigos” of the Associacion Jacobea de Almeria were when I walked from Almeria to Granada in March 2019.
For the eight days of walking I saw no other pilgrims - the solo occupant of each refuge. At Hueneja, however, the pilgrims’ refuge was closed for renovations but I was directed to stay at the nearby hostel (Gonzales, with excellent restaurant!) where I chanced to meet a group of the Amigos. Such a very warm welcome from guys I had spoken to earlier on my pilgrimage when accessing the key codes to the refuges. Manuel, the proprietor of the refuge in Alquife (my next stop) - one of the Amigos - was, again, very welcoming and ensured additional comfort with a fine wood fire!
Great people and, for me, great memories!
Thanks Amigos!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks to @C clearly for the link. I walked the Mozarabe branch from Malaga in winter 2019. Certainly a road less travelled and very much to my taste. The article does seem to have the "purist" tone that is common in Gronze articles. As a bit of a fossil and a pedestrian fundamentalist I have no problem with their slant on things. Of all the Caminos I have walked in recent years the Mozarabe was closest in spirit to my early Camino experience. Very low numbers and simple albergues. My sort of route.
I too walked this route many years ago and remember low numbers and a very individual experience. Still one of my fondest memories.

samarkand.

I arrive in Almeria on 16 May and stay two nights so that I can meet up with the Amigos on 17 May and head off on 18 May. The aim is to hike to Córdoba.

Anyone planning on joining me?

Edited to correct date.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may we'll be my next Camino (if not finishing the Lana from Cuenca) although I've yet to decide the month of departure. Probably somewhere in May or June. I walked from Granada to Mérida back in 2014 but will like to leave this time from Almería.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm planning to start the Mozarabe from Almeria to Merida this March. I've yet to reach out to the Association, but I've read so many positive things about them, the support they offer peregrinos, and their efforts to build and maintain the infrastructure along this route. I'm hopeful for an amazing experience. After the Mozarabe, I hope to walk the San Salvador, then meet up with my wife in Barcelona for several days before heading to Carcassonne to walk the Voie du Piémont, cross the Pyrenees, and finish in Puente la Reina via the Aragones. This will hopefully all take place over a roughly 80-day period between late March through mid June. That's the plan at least.....

Last edited:
I'm planning to start the Mozarabe from Almeria to Merida this March. I've yet to reach out to the Association, but I've read so many positive things about them, the support they offer peregrinos, and their efforts to build and maintain the infrastructure along this route. I'm hopeful for an amazing experience. After the Mozarabe, I hope to walk the San Salvador, then meet up with my wife in Barcelona for several days before heading to Carcassonne to walk the Voie du Piémont, cross the Pyrenees, and finish in Puente la Reina via the Aragones. This will hopefully all take place over a roughly 80-day period between late March through mid June. That's the plan at least.....
@ogr1960 - What a wonderful 80 days you have in store. 😎

Thé Mozarabe and Aragones are two of my favourite Caminos - though I seem to have a lot of favourites. We have walked the Mozarabe (Granada to Merida) the Aragones (continuing from Arles Way) and the Salvador.

I agree with all the favourable comments above about the amigos on the Mozarabe and the welcoming hospitality of locals. And some truly fabulous towns along the way. We knew a little about Granada and Cordoba but Merida was a surprise. What a wonderful town. Highly recommend a day or two there.

We also plan to walk the Piemont this year, starting in Narbonne on 1 April. So we will be a few weeks ahead of you.

Buen camino. Safe travels. 🙏

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@ogr1960 - What a wonderful 80 days you have in store. 😎

Thé Mozarabe and Aragones are two of my favourite Caminos - though I seem to have a lot of favourites. We have walked the Mozarabe (Granada to Merida) the Aragones (continuing from Arles Way) and the Salvador.

I agree with all the favourable comments above about the amigos on the Mozarabe and the welcoming hospitality of locals. And some truly fabulous towns along the way. We knew a little about Granada and Cordoba but Merida was a surprise. What a wonderful town. Highly recommend a day or two there.

We also plan to walk the Piemont this year, starting in Narbonne on 1 April. So we will be a few weeks ahead of you.

Buen camino. Safe travels. 🙏
Thank you so much! I wish you the same! Fingers crossed we can live our dreams this year!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back