Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gronze article on the Invierno

peregrina2000

Staff member
This must be the time of year to focus on untraveled caminos - here’s Gronze’s take on the Invierno.

It’s essentially a list of pros and cons. I could not resist commenting on the cons, because I think they are way overblown and in some cases just silly (like 1 and 6).

The Pros:
1. Scenery
2. Historic Landmarks (I think that’s a close translation of “patrimonio construído.”)
3. Local wine
4. Geographical location (both in terms of its connection with the Francés and its connection with public transport)
5. Tranquility
6. Only camino to go through all four provinces in Galicia

Cons:
1. Its name (seriously, that’s the biggest negative????)
2. The ups and downs (lots would say that’s a plus, not a minus)
3. Lack of services (I think our planning threads have documented enough services for most peregrinos)
4. Lack of albergue (the increase is quite substantial from just a few year ago)
5. Lack of trail “improvements”, though as the author notes, be careful what you wish for. The Xunta has turned most caminos in Galicia into crushed rock runways. Also noted, too much road walking.
6. The official stages (the complaint being that some are too long — our planning stages have come up with a huge number of ways to stage this camino to suit walking abilities)

Bottom line in the author’s opinion — a good future awaits the Invierno!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
THank you for sharing that link, Laurie.

Also noted, too much road walking.
Which was very mellow, on very lightly travelled roads.
5. Lack of trail “improvements”,
Yeah. Spare us, please.

Frankly, it sounds like the author had to really think to come up with a few cons about this route, to balance all the pros. It is wonderful, for all the stated reasons. The past is tangible on this route.

Last edited:
Thankyou Laurie
An interesting read (the translation of your link made easier with my iPhone ).

A variety of pros and cons. I noticed mainly the pros., which to me spelled out that one of the draw cards was that it filled the bill for those having a few weeks off & wanting a medium length camino & to finish in Santiago.

I also noticed the ‘traditional bunk variety’ Albergue in Chantada (recently new), which wasn’t there in 2018 and also the shelter planned for Diomondi in 2022. This is encouraging news.

He also makes an assumption of the numbers increasing 2 or 3 times on the previous pilgrims walking. This will still be few enough to have that tranquil experience yet a little encouraging for those hoping to bump into someone to share a meal with at end of day.

The alternate camino name mentioned : Camino Del Sil? Interesting ..

——
Mods : Please remove the following article if I’m out of line ( I tend to go off the topic ! )
I did read another older link by the author and hope his assumption( about donativo pilgrim shelters having limited lifespan), never comes to pass.
((( a snippet copied from that link which I’m referring to is:
Quote >>>>> Some private hostel entrepreneurs, with the risk of always creating a business that also requires significant economic investment and personal effort, believe that donation shelters are meaningless today. On many occasions, in dealing with the subject we have heard that although they played a fundamental role a few decades ago, since it was necessary to promote the Camino, now they no longer have a reason to exist, because times change and the pilgrim of the present no longer needs these places, unless we want to keep them for those exploited.>>>> end >>

I think the giving tradition ( of the original shelters) & welcome - is partly what gets into our psyche & hearts as we walk and teaches many of us that there are still many on this earth not looking for kickbacks and will share their last breadroll, & their time, support & true kindness.
Without these models, some of the private accommodations (having based their accommodation with similar mission statement ) might not’ be as wonderful as they are.. IMHO.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This must be the time of year to focus on untraveled caminos - here’s Gronze’s take on the Invierno.

It’s essentially a list of pros and cons. I could not resist commenting on the cons, because I think they are way overblown and in some cases just silly (like 1 and 6).

The Pros:
1. Scenery
2. Historic Landmarks (I think that’s a close translation of “patrimonio construído.”)
3. Local wine
4. Geographical location (both in terms of its connection with the Francés and its connection with public transport)
5. Tranquility

Cons:
3. Lack of services (I think our planning threads have documented enough services for most peregrinos)
4. Lack of albergue (the increase is quite substantial from just a few year ago)
5. Lack of trail “improvements”, though as the author notes, be careful what you wish for. The Xunta has turned most caminos in Galicia into crushed rock runways. Also noted, too much road walking.
6. The official stages (the complaint being that some are too long — our planning stages have come up with a huge number of ways to stage this camino to suit walking abilities)

I walked it this October. Be aware of the warnings about lack of services. Just plan ahead - it's a wonderful walk!

3AB6346F-F80C-48FF-AA99-E7799926EC55.jpegOMG I just read your link in Spanish of Anton Pombo’s article. He seriously believes the Invierno should be renamed Camino del Sil. If renamed, then, Camiño del Sil is more appropriate given as he states that it passes through all 4 Galician provinces. I love the Invierno and the people who live on it and make it so alive. Love the immense variety of each stage. Yes, there are some spots where I wish there was a bar around the bend for a good café con leche, and closer Albergues or hostales to stay in others, but the pros outweigh the cons any day. Beats walking around my neighborhood hoping for a 100 meter elevation. I just got back last week from the Invierno and now I wanna leave again.

I walked it this October. Be aware of the warnings about lack of services. Just plan ahead - it's a wonderful walk!

Thanks, I would prefer to do shorter stages and I am having dfficulty planning-accommodations. Will keep trying…hopefully places will open up.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

The Pros:
1. Scenery
3. Local wine
5. Tranquility

Cons:

I can think of only pros. Eleven of the best days of my life.

I can think of only pros. Eleven of the best days of my life.
Hear, hear! Magnificent scenery, and lovely people in the towns and villages along the way. I've walked two more popular routes since my Invierno, and it's still my favourite, not least because of its feel of authenticity.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back