• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gronze.com Guide

Walkingboy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France
Hi, I am thinking of walking the Camino Madrid next year and from the threads on here it seems that the Gronze guide is the go to place for information. Unfortunately I do read or speak Spanish. Is there an English version out there? Cheers. Dave

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, I am thinking of walking the Camino Madrid next year and from the threads on here it seems that the Gronze guide is the go to place for information. Unfortunately I do read or speak Spanish. Is there an English version out there? Cheers. Dave
I’m told android phones automatically translate (or something similarly). On an iPhone in the safari browser url bar (upper left) there’s an icon to hit to translate. I’ll try to attach pic in a bit

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Dave,
If you use Google Chrome to search for Gronze it will automatically translate to English,and yes, it is a very good resource. John

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I use Gronze for what it is even if I can´t speek Spanish. Maps, km, ups and downs, places to sleep.

Use Chrome Browser. It will translate.

When using Chrome, on a web-page in Gronze.com or any website for this matter, right mouse click, then a pop-up window will show up.

Click on "Translate to English", the last third item, then Chrome will translate the page for you.

Chrome will also ask you if you wanted ALWAYS to translate the pages from the website.

I’m told android phones automatically translate (or something similarly). On an iPhone in the safari browser url bar (upper left) there’s an icon to hit to translate. I’ll try to attach pic in a bit
L have an iPhone 6 and at the top of bronze it gives me the choice of Spanish or English

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is no real need to translate Gronze (unless you want to read the snarky reviews like on Tripeadvertiser) and/or are determined not to learn any Spanish. The structure is simple and clear, the information simple and useable. Stage, resources available at any given stage, accommodations and type of accommodations, contact details. There even links to flaming Berking.con. If any Pilgrim really needs it any simpler they should maybe stay at home :eek:

OK, grumpy Tinker post. But really, really? And there are at least 3 Apps (whatever the hell they are), 6 printed guides (probably), the very nice hand-out from the very nice http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/ in St Jean or the simple option to turn right when you leave France and keep going 'till your feet get wet. (If you were heading to Santiago, at that point, you've gone farther than you should've and are advised to turn around.)

Hi..sorry yes the very basic question! I have read that the Gronze guide is the most reliable guide as to which albergues are open. Do I assume the albergues listed in his guide are open (subject to change of course) or is there something in the guide to indicate what is open and what is not!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi..sorry yes the very basic question! I have read that the Gronze guide is the most reliable guide as to which albergues are open. Do I assume the albergues listed in his guide are open (subject to change of course) or is there something in the guide to indicate what is open and what is not!
Yes, there are symbols for places that are closed, or which may be open during a limited time frame.
Here's an example for Zubiri.
Screenshot_20210830-121411_Firefox.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Aha - what a great tip. I knew how to use Chrome for auto -translation, but didn't know about tapping Aa in Safari. You just made my use of Safari on Spanish websites much easier! Thank you so much!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Aha - what a great tip. I knew how to use Chrome for auto -translation, but didn't know about tapping Aa in Safari. You just made my use of Safari on Spanish websites much easier! Thank you so much!
Doesn’t always work but usually. Sometimes when it doesn’t if I select “request desktop site” (on same drop down menu, then translate it will translate. Sigh….Apple I wish I knew how to quit you 🙂

For everyone saying just look at the symbols, really, do you not go to the Parrot? 🦜 is where you read about the giant ball of string side trips and interesting (you can call them snarky if you prefer) comments on a myriad of things. Which yes, is a way to practice Spanish but at the end of a long day sometimes it’s nice to know if the only bridge over the river is closed (actually gronze and my guide both failed me there once 😕)

edit: Al Loro for those not using a translation

There is no real need to translate Gronze (unless you want to read the snarky reviews like on Tripeadvertiser) and/or are determined not to learn any Spanish. The structure is simple and clear, the information simple and useable. Stage, resources available at any given stage, accommodations and type of accommodations, contact details. There even links to flaming Berking.con. If any Pilgrim really needs it any simpler they should maybe stay at home :eek:

OK, grumpy Tinker post. But really, really? And there are at least 3 Apps (whatever the hell they are), 6 printed guides (probably), the very nice hand-out from the very nice http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/ in St Jean or the simple option to turn right when you leave France and keep going 'till your feet get wet. (If you were heading to Santiago, at that point, you've gone farther than you should've and are advised to turn around.)
In fairness I believe the OP was asking bc he wasn’t walking the CF (which admittedly is like pilgrim conveyor belt) but a less traveled (and advertised) route and had been told gronze had good info

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yup, Gronze is the best guide out there. I wonder how the author gets all that info and keeps up with current realities.

There is no real need to translate Gronze (unless you want to read the snarky reviews like on Tripeadvertiser) and/or are determined not to learn any Spanish.
I agree with you if you are talking about the basic camino pages — distances, profile map, accommodation options. That is all perfectly easy to understand without a drop of Spanish. It’s good and reliable information, but there is so much more on this website.

In my opinion, the real treasure of Gronze is in the buttons down at the bottom of each stage — “Al Loro” (all kinds of random observations about things to see, local food specialties, history, culture…. Gronze itself describes this section as “a summary of things that are most interesting to know before starting the stage — off the record information, suggestions, advice, warnings, observations). It is a mixture of all sorts of interesting information. Next comes “El Recorrido” (the journey with detailed walking notes). And finally “Fotos” which needs no explanation.

There may be many who don’t want that kind of detailed information, but if you do, I have gotten some great tips, particularly in the “Al Loro” section. The detailed walking instructions are less necessary now with the advent of GPS, but I remember one particularly confusing part of the Vdlp back more than a decade ago, way before I knew anything about GPS, when it really was a godsend. And that whole section would be hard/impossible to navigate unless you speak Spanish.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yup, Gronze is the best guide out there. I wonder how the author gets all that info and keeps up with current realities.
There are places on the site for pilgrims to send updates from the field so to speak. Down at the very bottom

A344BDC9-D5FD-4C7D-91D1-8DE4BF83915A.jpeg

But very grateful to the person(s) who run this

Hi
I just finished the Camino Frances. Occasionally, I found that an albergue listed as closed in gronze was actually now open. This year is just different from pre-covid times.
I have some apps I look at for useful pieces of info, but over the last four years on several different caminos I have found gronze to be the single most useful and up to date site.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We walked the Madrid two years ago relying on Gronze, which was outstanding, and translatable with your cellphone Google and postings on Ivar. It's a wonderful camino...one of our favorites. Ultreia!

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back