• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gronze in English?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Other than using the Chrome online translator, I recommend you learn Spanish. When spending time in a foreign country where English is not universally spoken, learning the language, even at a basic level, seems to me to be a smart thing to do. It also shows courtesy towards another culture.

I have used both the online translators, and my improving Spanish to use the Gronze site, as well as others. It does no harm to learn another language, and likely helps build global bridges.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I always compile my own guidebook(s) from different on-line sources which are more or less in Spanish. If I don't understand part of it at home then I also put in an English translation. Reading it while walking certain Camino I begin thinking in Spanish and this way I'm more prepared for conversation. Also it helps when I need info from locals because hardly anyone is speaking English and I just show them the text in Spanish and they immediately know what is the problem.
Of course there's also a courtesy to speak at least some of the language of the country you are visiting.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
wow. Who knew I could get both judgement and a lecture about my cultural insensitivity merely by posting a quick question on a message board. FYI, I do speak Spanish well enough to order a beer, reserve a room and have a simple conversation with others.
Geez, over sensitive maybe?
Just today or in general?

I apologize if my post made you feel this way ("cultural insensitivity", oh my). It was just my experience and a little bit of suggestion. Anyway you didn't post anything about your knowledge of Spanish in the OP so that OP was the only info I had at the time composing the post.

"FYI, I do speak Spanish well enough to order a beer, reserve a room and have a simple conversation with others."
That's exactly my level of knowing Spanish and I can read the Gronze/Mundicamino/Eroski etc.

Wish you less stressful and Buen Camino ;)

wow. Who knew I could get both judgement and a lecture about my cultural insensitivity merely by posting a quick question on a message board. FYI, I do speak Spanish well enough to order a beer, reserve a room and have a simple conversation with others.

Wow @kmccue ain't you the one ;0) most Pilgrims aren't even sure where Spain is... Still, if you can order a beer that is most issues covered.
As you've probably discovered by now Gronze is so repetative and uses such simple Spanish that a translation into English is scarcely required. The information is sound and current and with your grasp of the language and a little bit of Googletranslate you should be well sorted

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Other than using the Chrome online translator, I recommend you learn Spanish. When spending time in a foreign country where English is not universally spoken, learning the language, even at s basic level, seems to me to be a smart thing to do. It also shows courtesy towards another culture.

I have used both the online translators, and my improving Spanish to use the Gronze site, as well as others. It does no harm to learn another language, and likely helps build global bridges.

Hope this helps.
Hi
When I downloaded Gronze from Google Chrome I also downloaded the Spanish, Portugese and French language packs. I speak a bit of the first and second but want to read the details on the route in English as well as reviews on the accommodation.
On learning Spanish I learnt you can spend two weeks in many Spanish cities for around €500 staying with a family with half board and attend formal lessons each week. Salamanca or Seville will be my choice. Can’t even stay in a hostal and have 2 meals a day for 2 weeks for that cost let alone the lessons. Salamanca has a site you can check. From memory about 20 places available. Haven’t the list with me as I am Minehead having today walked the first stage of the 630 mile SW Coast path around SW England. Steep, scenic and almost no language problems. :)-
Happymark

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wise Pilgrim comes to mind... :)

I cannot tell you how completely indispensable I found the guide on the CF for my first walk in 2014. Sent Spouse off with his own copy about 10 days ago, and have the complete collection purchased for myself. I won't be back on the trail until the 20th of this month, but I'm already consulting with the guides regularly. I appreciate the live links, the portability, the utility of the maps with the albergues all indicated, and the live distances for the trail.

The bits of history for each stop and absence of "woo" are much appreciated! Also, the photos... thank you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Or the Norte!
I mention the Portugues routes particularly because this thread is in the CP forum so if someone comes here and asks about guides, apps or planning websites, my presumption is that they are planning to walk a Camino Portugues and looking for something to help with that. A resource that doesn't cover those routes won't be much help. If the question had been asked in a more general forum I wouldn't worry about it as most people want to walk the CF. But that isn't true of this forum.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I mention the Portugues routes particularly because this thread is in the CP forum so if someone comes here and asks about guides, apps or planning websites, my presumption is that they are planning to walk a Camino Portugues and looking for something to help with that. A resource that doesn't cover those routes won't be much help. If the question had been asked in a more general forum I wouldn't worry about it as most people want to walk the CF. But that isn't true of this forum.
Thanks. I forgot to check which forum thus was in before I posted.

Wow @kmccue ain't you the one ;0) most Pilgrims aren't even sure where Spain is... Still, if you can order a beer that is most issues covered.
As you've probably discovered by now Gronze is so repetative and uses such simple Spanish that a translation into English is scarcely required. The information is sound and current and with your grasp of the language and a little bit of Googletranslate you should be well sorted
As a moderator AND staff that was very passive agressive. I am sad. This forum is not the place for sarcasm, passive agressive attitudes.
God Bless

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As a moderator AND staff that was very passive agressive. I am sad. This forum is not the place for sarcasm, passive agressive attitudes.
God Bless

I didn't read it that way at all; to me it read like an attempt to defuse the potential for taking things into a badly negative direction, which is what a good moderator would do :) I respect the job that Tincatinker has done as a moderator and forum participant throughout the many and various threads I've read since joining the Forum.

Oh, and as that was your first post, let me wish you a warm welcome to the Forum :)

God Bless
Wow!

That's quite bold attitude for your first post, because it was me actually accused of something I didn't do and @Tincatinker (as a moderator I guess) jumped in. Anyway even if he wasn't a mod in that exact time he has the right to his own perception and thinking as all others.

Welcome to the forum by all means!

Last edited:
You only need basic Spanish to understand Gronze. Surely that's not beyond people? It's kind of neat that its not in English. You may even learn something :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
[QUOTE="KinkyOne, post: 647850, member: 25761

Anyway you didn't post anything about your knowledge of Spanish in the OP[/QUOTE]

Yes, the poster clearly stated that they are not fluent. Read more carefully.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If anyone needs help with gronze language-wise I would be happy to help! It really is a good resource.

I use Gronze a lot with minimal Spanish. The only time I need to translate is to understand the comments evaluating the various albergues.

[QUOTE="KinkyOne, post: 647850, member: 25761

Anyway you didn't post anything about your knowledge of Spanish in the OP

Yes, the poster clearly stated that they are not fluent. Read more carefully.[/QUOTE]
"Fluent" is just one level of knowing and using the language hence my question after reading the OP carefully ;)
While I'm not fluent in Spanish I can talk to people to organize things and also read guides as Gronze or Mundicamino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back