• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gronze

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Who runs this site, who/how is it regularly updated? Just curious about it, as it is so popular.
At the bottom of the Gronze site check out the thread sobre gronze and the various links describing its legalities.

The site which has existed since 2006 is run by Joan Fiol.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The only improvement for Gronze would be to make it available in other languages, at least English. However, I use the Chrome browser. So, Gronze is translated into English as each page comes upi. Not the best solution, But it suffices...
Nooooooo! So many things are in English nowadays, it is actually quite nice (and to me a relief) there are still exceptions! ;)

Nooooooo! So many things are in English nowadays, it is actually quite nice (and to me a relief) there are still exceptions! ;)

I agree! Also it’s so basic that it’s really easy to understand. Whenever I don’t understand a word or sentence on Gronze I look it up - and that way I keep learning: win-win. 😉

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Same here. When I compile my own guidebooks from the internet sources I leave the descriptions in Spanish so I can learn some more as I go. Also it's easier to ask for direction when locals can read the desciption in their language. Win-win-win ;)

I continue to learn and improve my Spanish comprehension. Personally, I do not need Gronze available in English.

One of my personal issues is learning to respect the culture and people of the country I am a guest in. That includes learning the language. So, I am doing so. It's not easy at 65, but I am getting there...

I have a feeling that the people who may advertise on the web pages or the albergue owners would want to reach the widest possible audience. If I were one of them, I would want it in English, for sure. I am also sure there are people who are afraid to use Bronze, either because they speak no Spanish or they are afraid the translation will not make sense. I use Google Chrome and get the translation. I can read Spanish ok and when I read something in English that translates poorly I switch back to Spanish. Often times it is because the tenses may be difficult or it is a word that is being used has many meanings and the translation does not fit the meaning that is intended for the sentence. In today's world where people come from everywhere and may only know their own tongue and English, any help that can be given is positive. Honestly I don't see any advantage or purity if information is only in one language. The developer of the page probably does not have the resources or the time to take on this task. But I have no idea and it is just me venturing an opinion.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I like Gronze just the way it is. I'm grateful to Joan for the comprehensive and remarkably current coverage.

And it works in just the way that Enid Blyton & Dr Seuss and the Janet & John series use repetition of simple phrases to develop understanding. I read Gronze in Spanish and I know what it means in Tinker. That'll do.

I struggle with translating the reviews but that doesn't really matter. I'm interested in location, availability, resources - what somebody else experienced, one night, at x date will probably have no relevance to my experience on the night I am there. If I have a bad night I chalk it down to experience; if I have a good night I'll count myself blessed.

I consider learning at least basic phrases to be a form of respect when I visit any country. However, my Japanese and Thai are VERY rough...;) European languages come easier to me.

When I know I am going to be in a new country with a new language, I buy the Berlitz phrase book, and CD. I “rip” the CD so I can load it to my iPhone for easy practice.

This has helped me during my 40 plus years of international travel.

Hope this idea helps you too.

Last edited:
I consider learning at least basic phrases to be form of respect when I visit any country. However, my Japanese and Thai are VERY rough...;) European languages come easier to me.

When I know I am going to be in a new country with a new language, I buy the Berlitz phrase book, and CD. I “rip” the CD so I can load it to my iPhone for easy practice.

This has helped me during my 40 plus years of international travel.

Hope this idea helps you too.
I walked though Hungary and nothing helped me with the language! Nada.
Aaah, except a wonderful Hungarian pilgrim met on the camino francés who did the accommodation booking for us! What do they say? The Camino provides? ;)

I walked though Hungary and nothing helped me with the language! Nada.
Aaah, except a wonderful Hungarian pilgrim met on the camino francés who did the accommodation booking for us! What do they say? The Camino provides? ;)

Being of 25% Hungarian ancestry, when I am in Hungary, people come up to me and ask directions...in Hungarian. Go figure! I learned enough to explain that I am an American tourist and I do not speak Hungarian...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked though Hungary and nothing helped me with the language!
Hungarian...cases, verbs, pronunciation, all those vowels...oyyyyyyyyyyy....o_O
But I do speak Paprikás. :).

And like Gronze fine as it is. But...
it’s so basic that it’s really easy to understand.
I wish...
Maybe for some people, but unfortunately not for all of us.

I wonder if, come the likely Apocalypse that is Brexit, when the UK starts to issue their (French printed) blue-black passports they'll be taking all those French words off of the front cover? 🇪🇺 - 🇬🇧 = me 😢

I used to learn - and remember - basic phrases in other languages, while traveling, fairly easily (hello, thank you, how much does this cost? Where is the bathroom? Names of dishes I liked, counting from 1 - 10, etc.). I always made sure I worked on this before I went. Then I got older... and went to visit my brother who lives in Turkey. I couldn't remember a single word, even immediately after I repeated it! Frustrating.

Fortunately, I learned Spanish a long time ago and have retained it. But, heading to Portugal soon, I'm not so sure about Portugues.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gronze has for many years been my go to website on various Caminos. If available, I screenshot the maps of stages for reference while walking. Saves having to take a guide. When there is wifi I can then there advice on sections to watch out for (al loro section).

They also have some good articles about issues pertaining to the Camino.

Who runs this site, who/how is it regularly updated? Just curious about it, as it is so popular.

Planning Via De La Plata 2020. (Sept/oct) Brierley was brilliant for Frances 2016. Wise Pilgrim was adequate for Del Norte 2018 but there doesn't appear to be anything out there hard copy wise for Via De La Plata, nothing that is that compares to Brierley (unless anyone out there can direct me to hard copy publication, I currently have Gerald Kelly 2019 edition of Via de la Plata the Camino Sanabres second edition. This is a valiant effort on the part of the author and is worthy of merit but I wouldn't like to think this was my only means of navigation on the Via de la Plata given the probable long stretches of walking alone with no facilities between stages.

However, the purpose of my response is to draw attention to "Gronze" information available via smartphone. This together with Google maps is all any Pilgrim might need. I was not aware of Gronze for my first 2 Caminos and I rather liked the idea of just turning up and setting out. As many of you will know, that is entirely do-able on the Frances and Del Norte due to the quality of the "Way signs" and the number of albergues, cafe's and bars long the way. Not so on the Via de la Plata, but now I have "Gronze" and Google maps, I feel I have all I need to make it to Santiago. Whilst I feel Gronze is a necessity on the Via de
la Plata. I am disappointed to have to rely on so much technology to get me round.

To all out there. Buen Camino

Peter

Gronze has for many years been my go to website on various Caminos. If available, I screenshot the maps of stages for reference while walking. Saves having to take a guide. When there is wifi I can then there advice on sections to watch out for (al loro section).

They also have some good articles about issues pertaining to the Camino.
After using Gronze for years, I just realized that there was more to it than the stage maps and accommodations lists.
I have read several of the articles, and the "Al Loro" section with suggestions and highlights for each stage is great! To find it, it's on the bottom of the page for each stage, along with the Recorrido (route) section that describes the route - where you need to turn, landmarks, etc, and a section with Photos of the stage. Remember, if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to the language that you choose.
Here is an example:

gronze.JPG

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
After using Gronze for years, I just realized that there was more to it than the stage maps and accommodations lists.
I have read several of the articles, and the "Al Loro" section with suggestions and highlights for each stage is great! To find it, it's on the bottom of the page for each stage, along with the Recorrido (route) section that describes the route - where you need to turn, landmarks, etc, and a section with Photos of the stage. Remember, if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to the language that you choose.
Here is an example:

View attachment 103853
Glad you found the other sections, often missed, especially if you do not read Spanish.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back