• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

group size

williad

I am planning on leading a trip of youth and other adults from my church on the Camino next summer. We are in our beginning stages of planning right now and I have a few questions.

Is there a group size that is too big for the Camino? I have done the trip on the Camino Frances and would like to consider it again. But I do not want to fill up any albergues with my group alone. We'll likely go with a group of 18 - 20.

Is there a 100k route that would be best suited for a group of 18 - 20?

If we had a handful of our group (4 - 6) sleep in tents, would that be acceptable at most of the albergues?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am planning on leading a small group - max 12 - on the camino next spring.
Things to consider is that many traditional shelters don't take groups, especially those that have 20 or less places.
The route with the best infrastructure on the last 100km is the Camino Frances. Sarria has a number of albergues so you could split up. Ditto for Portomarin and Palas de Rei: Melide's albergue has 130 places and Arca 100 so you should be alright there: Monte de Gozo will take your group with no problem.
I think you'll be alright - go for it!

I'm taking a group next year as a leadup to world youth day and plan to start in Sarria on about 4th August 2011. We have pre booked accommodation as we don't want to take a large group (20+) into albergues. This will mean that we don't have to rush for a bed or have a group that impacts on the dynamics of the experience for other pilgrims. I'm hoping our group will have an authentic experience enroute by engaging with those who have walked from afar as they travel along, enjoying the experiences and stories of those who have immersed themselves in the camino and remembering camino etiquette. I know we will be paying more to secure accommodation but think it will be worth it with a group as large as ours. I'm about to head off to the camino to walk from sarria viewing the route with a group in mind. The last time I went through Sarria, I had walked from St Jean and was only concentrating on getting myself to the cathedral, so taking a group will be a rich and rewarding experience. Good luck with your planning :D
Suzie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back