• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Group walk Oslo to Trondheim

cher99840

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2017 Camino Frances SJPP-Santiago
2015 St. Olav's Way Oslo-Trondheim
2017 VdlP Seville-Merida
Is anyone else thinking about doing this? I normally do not sign on to groups but am considering this one as the route is not as well supported as the CF and I think I will enjoy it more when I don't have to concern myself over those little survival necessities like food and shelter.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Which company are you looking at? I know there is a Norwegian company offering this walk (or parts of it) but haven't heard of any others. I have been hoping to do this for a good few years now but it takes a long time and since it's more remote I don't feel like doing it alone.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That's the one :D I am from Trondheim, so I really want to walk it one day but my regular walking partner can't take that long off work at the moment so it looks like it will be a while yet. Those group walks have a good reputation though.

I walked a good portion of this in 1987. At that time I was in winter training. I also did a nighttime skijoring leg from Narvik to Trondheim prior to my deployment with the Norwegian Guard Company in Kirkeness. What a great way to meet local Norwegians. Gotta love it!

I could be interested in joining such a group (not a company tour, but a pack of pilgrims), since I am a Natural Norw. and have been thinking of walking it. It would need some preparation with regards to sleepover etc., and a Norw. speaking member in such a group would ease a lot of issues. Hostels/hotels in Norway are very expensive, and probably not an option for pilgrims. We also have the issue of experiencing Norw. nature at its best while walking, as well as climate preparations and history aspects. We will be walking in Viking territory.

Nidarosa commented about remoteness/walking in rural areas and therefore would do it with others, and I completely agree.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@alexwalker , check out the website. So far the posting is only in Norwegian which wouldn't slow you down but I had to rely on Google Translate to help me. The overnights are listed. Seems very affordable to me. The remoteness, the fact that Norway is so expensive and the fact that I don't speak the language and could be directed to very expensive lodgings all contribute to my wanting to be with the group.

I have been told that the English posting will be out soon. I hope to sign on formally tomorrow when my bank opens. Then I will be seeking advice on a place to stay 3 nights before the walk in Oslo and probably a score of other things.

Select language at upper right. English and German is an option in addition to Norw., currently available.

There are some natural obstacles: The Østerdalen route contains bears and wolves. Quite significant number of wolves in that district these days. The Gudbrandsdalen route contains musk oxes on the mountain pass. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The history and culture are also important to me. The fact that I had such a hard time getting my hands on a guidebook also added to the mystique.

Yes, English is an option but this particular group walk is not posted yet. It is in Norwegian tho. It begins 20 June and ends 29 July.

Bears and wolves inhabit where I live. I haven't encountered a musk ox yet

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I passed one of these groups when I walked St Olavs Way in 2012. It is clearly an option, but so is walking by yourself, which it what I did, and didn't have any real difficulty finding food or shelter.

You will find a couple of threads here - look for the relatively longer thread that is @lovingkindness's trip from Trondheim to Santiago and read about the start of her pilgrimage. It was done backwards to the norm, but is still an interesting and insightful look into what is involved.

Is it part of the 'Pilgrims Across Borders' venture that aims to organise a relay pilgrimage walk from Trondheim to Jerusalem this year? The idea is pilgrims will walk in small groups ~20 strong and undertake one or more legs under the supervision of local associations (taking in Norway, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Italy and Israel). You can read more about it by searching 'pilgrims across borders' on the internet.
I would like to do the Trondheim leg but for the fact it may prove to be a bit more expensive than I can afford right now. I also hope to do the Rome to Brindisi /Tel Aviv to Jerusalem stages, that are currently timetabled for late-August to mid-October (southern Italy) & 10 days in October (Israel).

Oooh, @alexwalker we should gather a band of pilgrims and see what can be planned here ... As far as I have been able to establish, though the accommodation is few and far between it is perfectly doable, especially if you have booked, meaning you don't have to carry tent, mat, sleeping bag, cooking stuff etc. Less weight = longer daily walks = different walk, more expensive but shorter, so maybe not so expensive anyway in the end. I couldn't do it this year anyway with the time and budget restraints but I would definitely be interested in trying to figure out whether a band of happy pilgrims could get together and walk it - wouldn't necessarily mean that we would be joined at the hip or never get alone time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Cooking gear, tents, mats et al will be neccesary, I think. Norway is not Spain. To be independent is essential in highcost Norway as is sharing the burden of tents, stoves, etc. I would use my military practice to get me through it...

As you Nidarosa, my plans are already set this year, and it would eventually be a 2016 plan.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@dougfitz , thanks for the link. I have read it in the past and greatly admire her courage, and yours. I did consider (briefly) going it alone but when I compare that to the option of accommodations, meals and optional bag transport, all for under 85 US $ per day, the group came out way ahead for me.

@Sheffield James, it sounds as if it is the same route as the Pilgrims Across Borders will walk, but in reverse. If I read correctly, the Norwegian part of the walk that you are speaking of will begin in Trondheim where I hope to end. Also yours is in April and depending upon the weather will be walked or skied. That is waaaaay beyond my skill level. :eek:

Is it part of the 'Pilgrims Across Borders' venture that aims to organise a relay pilgrimage walk from Trondheim to Jerusalem this year?
I don't think so. The Norse Pilgrim office has organised group walks for some years so far as I can tell. They appear to be wonderful walks, split into sections which allows those who want to join and leave at different places along the way.

On each Sunday, the Norse Church in the parish that the pilgrim group has reached celebrates a pilgrim mass. I attended the one on the Sunday that I passed the group. The pilgrim priest who was leading the group was a co-celebrant, and the pilgrims present with the congregation are also acknowledged. And if ministering to our spiritual needs was not enough, there was a wonderful late morning tea afterwards with contributions of local fresh produce, baked goods and preserves. I certainly didn't need to eat again until much later in the day.

While they used a very similar walking pattern to mine, they didn't walk on Sundays, so the initial group had started in Oslo about a few days before I set out, and they arrived in Trondheim a couple of days after me. Some of the group that I met had walked all the way from Oslo, others had joined at different points along the way.

As far as I have been able to establish, though the accommodation is few and far between it is perfectly doable, especially if you have booked, meaning you don't have to carry tent, mat, sleeping bag, cooking stuff etc. Less weight = longer daily walks = different walk, more expensive but shorter, so maybe not so expensive anyway in the end.
@nidarosa - I didn't carry a tent, mat, or cooking stuff, but I did carry a sleeping bag and liner, and up to five days food. I also carried a lot more warm clothing than I would on the camino, but didn't use all of it.

The size of the group would be important too, although if you followed the pattern of the Norse Pilgrim Office organised group walks, they stay at places that support larger groups. Some places that I stayed only had beds/bunks for four pilgrims, and would not have been suitable for more. There were even smaller huts as well, and shelters where there were no beds or mattresses. Its a bit of a mixed bag, and clearly not on the same scale as the more popular Camino de Santiago routes.

There is now also a northern route, following the line of the route St Olav took on his quest to take back the Norse crown, from the Swedish east coast through Stiklestad and then onto Trondheim. It is on my bucket list.

Cooking gear, tents, mats et al will be neccesary, I think. Norway is not Spain. To be independent is essential in highcost Norway as is sharing the burden of tents, stoves, etc. I would use my military practice to get me through it...
Sorry, @alexwalker, I missed seeing your post earlier when I responded to @nidarosa. There are some people who do camp, and the Norse rules/regulations/conventions on free camping make that a reasonable proposition. But the herberge network and other accommodation available means that it isn't necessary to be completely independent.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Fascinating. I was meant to have cycled the length of Norway last summer 5000 kms and again this summer but a ruptured calf has killed that plan. I would love to walk it. I have spent a lot of time in Norway (maybe there this week!), read it competently and after Spain is probably the country I know best. Doug's account was fascinating. Off to check all the links/sites etc now. Have a beta site if anybody would like to add their content/thoughts. Obviously our very own Ivar Rekve is Norwegian!

First, it an interesting thought to form a group. Especially for those not familiar with what surprises can be experienced weather-wise in Norway. Second, knowledge of national rules & language will help (although almost everone speaks English), as well as knowledge of the weather. We will be crossing mountains whichever route chosen, and it may be a different task compared to Spain.

Personally I would choose the Gudbrandsdal route, crossing the Dovre/Rondane mountains: Beautiful sceneries and lots of history.

Finally, if any forum member visits my area, I would like to be contacted!;)

Edit: As Doug correctly informs, accomodation may be a problem (longer days, not always well equipped, few beds). Staying in hotels/eating in cafes along the way will be out of my reach by far due to prices in Norway. That is why I would not walk without all I need to be self-sufficient, but will welcome a bed anytime! (Old soldier instinct kicking in..);)

Last edited:

€149,-
I should also say that in such a group, burdens should be divided and placed on the strongest ones: I can foresee 1 tent per 3 persons and one stove for the same number. Not much extra weight, really. The outdoor camping regulations in Norway are completely different from Spain: You are allowed almost anything, as long as you do not camp in a barred field. Very friendly.

ThisIsSpain: I am in Arctic Norway, in a city called Tromsø. Quite far (North) from the Olavs Way, but close enough, and with detailed/good knowledge of nature and survival in Arctic environments.:)

Last edited:
Javel.....my plan was to have cycled from Kirkenes to Oslo (via Bergen/Stavanger/Larvik etc) this summer www.theshirt2010.co.uk

I would have passed through Tromsø.
Greetings from Spain but tomorrow en hilsen fra Sarpsborg.

Big decision needs to be made soon - el Camino del Norte or St. Olav’s Way. Tips, thoughts, flip a coin?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@ThisIsSpain , just finished reading about the shirt campaign. You are Steve, I presume. I'm beyond impressed at your dedication to riding and to the game. I don't know that I have ever been THAT dedicated to one thing, much less two (or more?). I'm sorry an injury derailed that project. Will you do it next year perhaps?

Hi, how kind. That's me. I am tossing up between the Camino del Norte and St. Olav’s Way for this summer. I think I dare not risk cycling for 5000 kms sadly. Doing a 90 day tour next week ........ but it's digital http://thisisspain.info/90-days

Anything you ever want to write on your tours is always welcome on my sites. Welcome and appreciated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Obviously my vote is St Olav's but to be fair, I don't know that much about the Norte. Norway has been on my bucket list for many years and when I learned about St Olav's Way, it immediately attracted my attention but I was dismayed by its drawbacks. This group walk solves all that. I learned about it last year but already had too many commitments so I have been waiting and hoping I could get into this small group. Needless to say, I am ecstatic.

I will follow your virtual tour of Spain. Not sure how it works, but come February 1, I guess I'll learn.

You will be most welcome.....it is simply a 90 day virtual tour of Spain including 5/7 days on the Camino del Norte. I hope you enjoy it.
They both pull .... maybe one this year and one next?

@cher99840 : Well done on getting a place on that walk! Are you going all the way to Trondheim? If so, let me know when as I always go home in the summer and with luck I will be able to offer you a vino medicino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The group arrives on the 28th I think. Isn't that a special st olav day? We overnight and have mass and lunch the next day and then I hope to take the train back to oslo and return home.

The group arrives on the 28th I think. Isn't that a special st olav day? We overnight and have mass and lunch the next day and then I hope to take the train back to oslo and return home.
You might want to check out the St Olav's festival programme before deciding when to leave. On the evening of St Olav's Day, I went to a processional church service with other pilgrims that culminated with the midnight service at the cathedral. Don't miss this if at all possible. The next day (St Olav's Day) the Catholic Church holds their Mass in the same cathedral. I recall there being Orthodox (Catholic) services as well, but at similar times. At some time on that day they place a wreath on the statue of St Olav at the cathedral to match the wreath that will already be on St James' statue.

There is a cultural and social festival around these two major religious celebrations for several days.

I think you can stay at the pilgrim house near the cathedral for three nights at pilgrim rates before going onto a higher tariff or moving to a hotel.

I flew out of Trondheim, but going back to Oslo on the train was another option. You will travel close to parts of you pilgrimage along the way, which might be quite moving.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@dougfitz, you have an excellent point. I do need to do some more research about that. I was trying to get home to meet another commitment but perhaps I need to rethink that. Besides, my birthday is the second of August. What better place to celebrate??

Last edited:
The pilgrim house in Trondheim is very centrally situated and very nice for the price, so I'd definitely take advantage of that. I also know a few reasonable hotels if you are interested. The train journey back to Oslo is gorgeous in nice weather and at that time of year it will be light all through the night as well if you want to sit and look instead of getting the sleeper. There are also frequent flights from TRD Værnes airport to Oslo, Manchester, Torp (for Ryanair connections to UK) - not as scenic, but possibly quicker? Feel free to PM me if you want and I'll be happy to help.

Update: Received my invoice yesterday and wired the money today. Also made my air reservation to arrive in Oslo on June 17. Have hotel reservations for June 17, 18 and 19th so will be ready to start walking on June 20.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Update: Received my invoice yesterday and wired the money today. Also made my air reservation to arrive in Oslo on June 17. Have hotel reservations for June 17, 18 and 19th so will be ready to start walking on June 20.

I'm very interested.

I hope you'll tell us everyhing.

Hi! I have just signed up in this forum. I am glad that you chose St Olav Ways this summer, and I'm sure you will get a great experience. This year we open the St Olav Festival with common pilgrimage breakfast (free of course) 6 kilometers outside the city in the morning of July 28. And then we walk together into the town and the cathedral for the opening of the festival. Welcome!

Hi, Hans.

Have you done the Way from Dovre or are you going to walk it this July?

€46,-
Hi!
So far I have walked only a few stages on this path. I first went a day's hiking crossing parts of the Dovre mountains, and so I went for the last 20 kilometers from Sundet Farm to Nidaros Cathedral. This is a stunning and diverse landscape. For us who live in this area the Railway gives easy access to shorter stages on the path. But this fall, perhaps in September, I will go the Whole path contiguous to get the good pilgrim experience.

Thanks for answering, Hans.

I'm thinking about doing something this summer, and everything I'm reading about this Way makes me feel that it can be a very interesting option. Since I don't have much holiday time I think I could walk from Hjerkinn to Trondheim, or maybe from Oslo to Lillehammer. I would carry a little tent.

By the moment it's just a thought.

Thanks for answering, Hans.

I'm thinking about doing something this summer, and everything I'm reading about this Way makes me feel that it can be a very interesting option. Since I don't have much holiday time I think I could walk from Hjerkinn to Trondheim, or maybe from Oslo to Lillehammer. I would carry a little tent.

By the moment it's just a thought.

Hi again!
Hope you can do St. Olav Ways this summer. If you have limited time I suggest the route from Hjerkinn to Trondheim. This path will take you over the spectaculare Dovre Mountains, through rural aeras and beautyful valleys to the Nidaros Cathedrale in Trondheim.
This is a walk for about ten days. Take the train (www.nsb.no) to Hjerkinn station, and you will find a Pilegrim Center close to the station. There are accomondations for about every 25 kilometer, so it is not required to carry a tent. I reccomend that you bring your own food for the first 3 days.
For more info about this route; www.stolavways.com.
I wish you a good pilgrimage, and don't hesitate to ask if you have questions;-)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you start in Hjerkinn, there is an option to stop the first night at Kongsvoll rather than push on to Rhypusan. It has a cafe and hotel dining room. The dining room is a bit expensive, but the cafe was more reasonable. The next place you can get food is about halfway into Oppdal from Rhypusan at a campground shop, and then at Oppdal. I walked Hjerkinn to Trondheim in 10 days, and found that comfortable enough going staying at Kongsvoll. You could take less time with some longer days, and once you get to Oppdal, the distances between herberge and other accommodation options is much shorter. Most, but not all, herberge provided food of some form or other, even if only a small larder of tinned and other long life foods. The notable exceptions were Rhypusan and Svorkmo Skytterhus. There were grocery stores at various places, some a little off the path. They are a little sparse, so some care is needed. There is no stretch of three days where you cannot get a meal, but you will need a couple of days meals, and perhaps three days snacks.

Thanks to both of you.

Carrying or not a tent is a question of budget. I would like to spend no more than 1000€, flights and trains included. Is it possible to do the Way with less than 50€ per day?

Thanks to both of you.

Carrying or not a tent is a question of budget. I would like to spend no more than 1000€, flights and trains included. Is it possible to do the Way with less than 50€ per day?
I'll be interested in the answers you receive Pabloke. The group walk costs a bit less than 80€ per day and covers food and lodging. I chose to go by group because I'm pretty sure I would spend more than that if I were to go solo.

First, it an interesting thought to form a group. Especially for those not familiar with what surprises can be experienced weather-wise in Norway. Second, knowledge of national rules & language will help (although almost everone speaks English), as well as knowledge of the weather. We will be crossing mountains whichever route chosen, and it may be a different task compared to Spain.

Personally I would choose the Gudbrandsdal route, crossing the Dovre/Rondane mountains: Beautiful sceneries and lots of history.

Finally, if any forum member visits my area, I would like to be contacted!;)

Edit: As Doug correctly informs, accomodation may be a problem (longer days, not always well equipped, few beds). Staying in hotels/eating in cafes along the way will be out of my reach by far due to prices in Norway. That is why I would not walk without all I need to be self-sufficient, but will welcome a bed anytime! (Old soldier instinct kicking in..);)
Hi Alex if this goes ahead would really love to have the opportunity to join the group.....love the thought of camping too. My brother lives in Hvittingfoss so am fairly frequent visitor to Norway. Will be following this thread with great interest.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back