Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Growth (or lack of) on the Invierno

peregrina2000

Staff member
The Xunta says that the number of peregrinos on the Invierno has increased by a whopping ;) 12% since 2011. That is astonishing to me, I just don’t get it. But for anyone who wants a beautiful, spiritual, solitary camino, go to the Invierno now! It is very well marked, and the people along the way are waiting for pilgrims! I think that what is holding back the crowds is the lack of albergues, so if you can afford private accommodations (cheap but not albergues), it is a phenomenal alternative to the Francés from Ponferrada.

https://www.lanuevacronica.com/la-a...-el-camino-de-invierno-crece-un-12-desde-2011

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Xunta says that the number of peregrinos on the Invierno has increased by a whopping ;) 12% since 2011. That is astonishing to me, I just don’t get it. But for anyone who wants a beautiful, spiritual, solitary camino, go to the Invierno now! It is very well marked, and the people along the way are waiting for pilgrims! I think that what is holding back the crowds is the lack of albergues, so if you can afford private accommodations (cheap but not albergues), it is a phenomenal alternative to the Francés from Ponferrada.

https://www.lanuevacronica.com/la-a...-el-camino-de-invierno-crece-un-12-desde-2011
I think the rise is even bigger. You well know that 2nd, 3rd, 4th timers usually don't claim Compostela so the numbers from Xunta (I'm almost sure) are the same as those from the PO in SdC.

But the classical Camino albergues are scarce, that's true. In very short distance of 14km between O Barco (Xagoaza) and A Rua there are 4 but before (Villavieja) and after (Chantada, Lalin, A Laxe) almost non-existent. No space for private albergue business I guess but communities surely have some derelict properties that could be restored.

Mmmm. Not sure about the figures as I like many add the Invierno onto the end of another camino, as I walked the Sureste then the Invierno. The pilgrim’s office recorded it as a Sureste camino!

I found accommodation at a reasonable price easy to find. However, for me it was the difficulty in finding a decent meal at a reasonable time (before 2130) that would stop me repeating the experience.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I found accommodation at a reasonable price easy to find. However, for me it was the difficulty in finding a decent meal at a reasonable time (before 2130) that would stop me repeating the experience.
Could someone comment on how difficult it would be getting a good heavy lunch on this camino.

Could someone comment on how difficult it would be getting a good heavy lunch on this camino.

More info please! :) Do you mean en route, or do you mean once you have arrived at your destination? How many kms are you likely to walk each day? I try to stop walking by 2:30 or 3:00 and that usually gives me plenty of time for a shower before the restaurant kitchens close for lunch. Then light snack at dinner. If you mean stopping for lunch along the way in the middle of your walk, it is true that there are many fewer villages with services than on other Caminos. The forum guide in Resources should give you what you need to know about location of restaurants and bars, both along the way and at the “normal” stopping points. I never went hungry, I can tell you that! But I never eat a big meal while walking, just always make sure to have yoghurt, fruit and some nuts in my pack for a snack in case I don’t find a café.

I personally wouldn’t let this issue be a deterrent, because it is such a gorgeous and may I say spiritual route!

More info please! :) Do you mean en route, or do you mean once you have arrived at your destination? How many kms are you likely to walk each day?
Thank you Laurie. You gave me all the information I need. I have no short term plans but I have thoughts that if I walk again it may be the Aragonese to the CF to the Invierno.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think the rise is even bigger. You well know that 2nd, 3rd, 4th timers usually don't claim Compostela so the numbers from Xunta (I'm almost sure) are the same as those from the PO in SdC.

But the classical Camino albergues are scarce, that's true. In very short distance of 14km between O Barco (Xagoaza) and A Rua there are 4 but before (Villavieja) and after (Chantada, Lalin, A Laxe) almost non-existent. No space for private albergue business I guess but communities surely have some derelict properties that could be restored.

Kinky, I saw a recent post by someone wanting to walk the Invierno in winter and asking about albergues.

Going through the guide, and remembering about Villavieja and its new albergue, here are the albergues I see:

Villavieja — recently opened albergue in tiny hamlet before castle of Cornatel
Xagoaza — pilgrim-specific, a couple of kms past Barco
A Rúa — Asún
Vilamartín — albergue juvenil, open all year
Quiroga — albergue juvenil — is this open all year?

Is this the complete list of albergues on the Invierno to date?

And p.s., I am going to start the Invierno revisions soon, so I hope you and @Charrito are feeling helpful these days.

Kinky, I saw a recent post by someone wanting to walk the Invierno in winter and asking about albergues.
That was me!:)

And thank you for the list above - Villamartín is one of the towns where I intend to stop for the night, so it's good news for me!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Going through the guide, and remembering about Villavieja and its new albergue, here are the albergues I see:

A Rúa — Asún

And p.s., I am going to start the Invierno revisions soon, so I hope you and @Charrito are feeling helpful these days.

@peregrina2000
There is also an albergue at Lalin, which I mentioned to you previously. I believe that @KinkyOne stayed there at some time, and the albergue at A Laxe, which is on the Sanabres after it is joined by the Invierno, Kinky mentions both in his post above.

A Rúa — Asún

Ready when you are, Laurie. I sent you a private message yesterday about my latest Invierno stages.

A Rúa — Asún

I didn't mention Vilamartin and Quiroga albergues only because they are not pilgrim specific but of course both accept pilgrims if they have free bed.
There is also polideportivo albergue in A Rua (beside Asun's).

I just came back from USA few hours ago and I'm ready for proof reading ;)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I didn't mention Vilamartin and Quiroga albergues only because they are not pilgrim specific but of course both accept pilgrims if they have free bed.
There is also polideportivo albergue in A Rua (beside Asun's).

I just came back from USA few hours ago and I'm ready for proof reading ;)
Welcome back, KinkyOne!

A Rúa — Asún

isn't villamartín before a rúa?
there was some talk about an albergue in las medulas, this is still not running?
what about that bar in sobradelo who offered rooms to pilgrims?

isn't villamartín before a rúa?
there was some talk about an albergue in las medulas, this is still not running?
what about that bar in sobradelo who offered rooms to pilgrims?
The albergue in Las Médulas is definitely NOT going ahead. Bar Mar does offer rooms in Sobradelo.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@caminka
Yes, Villamartin is just a short walk before A Rua. So short in my memory that it's almost the same where you end the stage but it would be easier to go to A Rua for a bit shorter next day.

@Charrito
Peter, maybe you know if Bar Mar still needs notice in advance. It was situation in 2014 but maybe now that changed?

@caminka
Yes, Villamartin is just a short walk before A Rua. So short in my memory that it's almost the same where you end the stage but it would be easier to go to A Rua for a bit shorter next day.

@Charrito
Peter, maybe you know if Bar Mar still needs notice in advance. It was situation in 2014 but maybe now that changed?
No longer absolutely necessary! I could have stayed there in July when we arrived around lunchtime and it was really hot, but we had a few drinks and finally carried on to O Barco.

I stayed in Bar Mar in Sobradelo on August the 13th... I did not know anything of noticing in advance but got a very warm welcome anyway and stayed overnight.
My Camino did not count for the invierno statistic as I started in Somport.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed in Bar Mar in Sobradelo on August the 13th... I did not know anything of noticing in advance but got a very warm welcome anyway and stayed overnight.
My Camino did not count for the invierno statistic as I started in Somport.

Martin1ws, is the other info in the 2018 guide correct? (I will delete the part about contacting ahead). The info I got from others last year said 8 euros, 12 beds in 4 rooms. Is this place now “official” as an albergue or other form of accommodation?

Martin1ws, is the other info in the 2018 guide correct? (I will delete the part about contacting ahead). The info I got from others last year said 8 euros, 12 beds in 4 rooms. Is this place now “official” as an albergue or other form of accommodation?
Laurie, maybe leave the mention of calling albergues ahead (actually same as we all do in case of staying in private accommodation, no?) as a general instruction for less walked Camino which Invierno still is? At least I do that always and not only I might helped local or not-so-local hospitaleros/as with their everyday schedules but few times also got info that certain option is not available on the day I would need it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Laurie, maybe leave the mention of calling albergues ahead (actually same as we all do in case of staying in private accommodation, no?) as a general instruction for less walked Camino which Invierno still is? At least I do that always and not only I might helped local or not-so-local hospitaleros/as with their everyday schedules but few times also got info that certain option is not available on the day I would need it.

Kinky, I am writing a post to hopefully clear up the ongoing confusion about leaving Lalín. I am going leave out the “alternative” route, which is the old route along the busy N-525. Your photo and lauguage are very clear, but I just want to run it by you when I finish. Stay tuned!

Kinky, I am writing a post to hopefully clear up the ongoing confusion about leaving Lalín. I am going leave out the “alternative” route, which is the old route along the busy N-525. Your photo and lauguage are very clear, but I just want to run it by you when I finish. Stay tuned!
OK, no problem, glad to be of some help :)
Although the route out of Lalin couldn't be easier to navigate now with rerouting and more than adequate marking. Maybe except from the center to the Parque Fluvial but then again every local could point you to PF.

OK, no problem, glad to be of some help :)
Although the route out of Lalin couldn't be easier to navigate now with rerouting and more than adequate marking. Maybe except from the center to the Parque Fluvial but then again every local could point you to PF.
You’re right, I think this is one of those things that is now a no-brainer, but I struggle to keep it clear because of my memory of the old days when it went along the N-525, and then the years when there was confusion between the two routes.

€149,-

I cannot remember something different. I was alone in one room with three or four beds and in another room there was a couple on their own... so there was plenty of room left, but I did not asked for the number of beds and did not look in all rooms.

As I remember from 2014 the owner of Bar Mar told me that this "albergue" was planned to be in his appartment. @martin1ws could you say that's close to reality?
Thanks!

If I remember it correctly there were these beds mentioned above, but it was not called "albergue" by a sign or something like that.
And if I remember it correctly it was the Carpinteiras restaurant / hostel (2nd floor) in Rodeiro, where they built a bigger room / bigger rooms in the first floor to get albergue rooms.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back