• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guarda civil on all the Camino routes in Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerhard58

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances : April /May 2017
I refer to the recent terrible terrorist attacks in Barcelona and for that reason I would like to bring the following experience that I had with Guarda civil to your attention.

I know that there have been many references to the Guards Civil in previous posts but I thought that I would just also like to add to that. During my recent Camino Frances Walk in April and May 2017, I at one stage took the wrong road and was walking along a tarred road which was a secondary Road. I never realised that I was on the wrong road because I was walking alone and it looked normal to me.

It was not long before an unmarked vehicle stopped and the driver told me that I was on the wrong road. I said that I did not notice that but he explained to me than that I must have missed a turn off about 2 km earlier. He kindly offered to take me to the next townabout 5 km away, and I gladly accepted it because I was not gonna turn around and walk 2 km back. He then introduced himself as Major Jose from the Guarda Civil and he told me that he and his men were responsible for the security\safety of the Pilgrims on this stage and a few other stages around the Town that I left that morning

He told me that the Spanish authorities take the personal safety of all the Pilgrims on all the Camino in Spain very seriously. He told me that he even had 2 officers of his own detail to walk some of the stages on a regular basis , and he actually pointed out 2 of his officers ,which we passed in his car , on the way to the next town that he was going to drop me .

He gave me the impression that Spanish authorities are very concerned about any possible attacks on any stages of the Caminos in Spain , because it will bring economic hardships to all the small towns that we pass through as Pilgrims on the way to SDC. ( And all over Spain) and well as to the prestige of tourism sector which is a huge contributing facctor to the Spanish economy per se.

I told him that I was very glad to hear that they are so serious about the safety and security of us and he told me that for the Spanish authorities these Camino Pilgrims (although small in numbers) are a pride to the country.

I would like to know whether anyone of you I have experience with any of these security arrangements . I did not really see very much ofthem along the route ???

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have not walked any of the Caminos this summer but I have noticed a number of news reports on Spanish websites in the past few months which mention increasing Guardia Civil patrols on the Camino Frances. Including some mounted police patrols. A special exercise for the summer months which may of course have been revised in the light of the Barcelona attacks. This news report from Leon is typical of several which have appeared recently:
http://www.leonoticias.com/comarcas/guardia-civil-intensifica-20170810133053-nt.html

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks my friend I think this is a wonderful article analyse the information which was given to me by the police officer of the Guardia Civil!! I can gain from this article that they are even more stringent now with security then when I was walking in April and May
Thank you and good luck

Cheers Gerhard...!
Less than one month before I start, I can't wait....!
Take care....;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I refer to the recent terrible terrorist attacks in Barcelona and for that reason I would like to bring the following experience that I had with Guarda civil to your attention.

I know that there have been many references to the Guards Civil in previous posts but I thought that I would just also like to add to that. During my recent Camino Frances Walk in April and May 2017, I at one stage took the wrong road and was walking along a tarred road which was a secondary Road. I never realised that I was on the wrong road because I was walking alone and it looked normal to me.

It was not long before an unmarked vehicle stopped and the driver told me that I was on the wrong road. I said that I did not notice that but he explained to me than that I must have missed a turn off about 2 km earlier. He kindly offered to take me to the next townabout 5 km away, and I gladly accepted it because I was not gonna turn around and walk 2 km back. He then introduced himself as Major Jose from the Guarda Civil and he told me that he and his men were responsible for the security\safety of the Pilgrims on this stage and a few other stages around the Town that I left that morning

He told me that the Spanish authorities take the personal safety of all the Pilgrims on all the Camino in Spain very seriously. He told me that he even had 2 officers of his own detail to walk some of the stages on a regular basis , and he actually pointed out 2 of his officers ,which we passed in his car , on the way to the next town that he was going to drop me .

He gave me the impression that Spanish authorities are very concerned about any possible attacks on any stages of the Caminos in Spain , because it will bring economic hardships to all the small towns that we pass through as Pilgrims on the way to SDC. ( And all over Spain) and well as to the prestige of tourism sector which is a huge contributing facctor to the Spanish economy per se.

I told him that I was very glad to hear that they are so serious about the safety and security of us and he told me that for the Spanish authorities these Camino Pilgrims (although small in numbers) are a pride to the country.

I would like to know whether anyone of you I have experience with any of these security arrangements . I did not really see very much ofthem along the route ???

Thanks for sharing; it's good to hear your story. I'm curious about the unmarked car. Was Major Jose wearing a uniform at least? I know I'd be wary of getting into an unmarked car with a plainclothes man claiming to be a Guardia.

April & May this year frequently saw them patrolling the camino in their vehicles. I always gave them a wave and invariably got a smile and a wave back. Interesting to learn there are officers walking the camino as well. Plus posters in every albergue letting pilgrims know that guardia civil is responsible for pilgrims and giving their direct number. Far higher profile than when I walked two years ago.

Hi, Gerhard,

No doubt that was a very nice experience for you. But veteran members have seen Guardia Civil present on Caminos for years, either they were just passing by, checking with pilgrims if the are OK, have enough water, know the way etc. Maybe the increase in numbers of their officers on Camino itself is connected with terrorist attacks but I doubt. I think the reason is increase in pilgrim numbers on Camino(s) but still and for long years the main reason is what Major said to you, that pilgrims are a pride to the country.

Anyway it's very reassuring when you know they are there :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Guardia Civil were originally set up to deal with banditry. Now their remit is much wider, but they still protect the rural traveller of all kinds. I have been to the big Guardia Civil base in Merida to file a report and the guys were top notch. They even gave me a lift to the cashpoint on the way back!

The safety on the Camino has been a concern for the Spanish authorities for years. It is a part of their overall work for the entire infrastructure of the Camino. Road safety also figures on the agenda. No doubt there will be a Plan de Seguridad Jacobea 2018 too, and other plans for years to come.

There will also come a time when a pee in the woods is a thing of the past, and your grandchildren or great-grandchildren wil stare at you in disbelief when you tell them. Ten years from now, a Sanitary Stop is a nice clean building with showers, WIFI for all, and heated toilet seats in the cooler season. :cool::cool::cool:

Hola @Gerhard58; Having cycled and now walked the Camino Frances in 2015 & 2017 I have to say that the Guarda Civil & even the local police were a lot more noticeable this year (May & June 2017 so well before the pain of Barcelona). They were often turning up at the most unexpected (to me) places.
For law abiding Spaniards and pilgrims these men and women (more women noticeable this year) is I hope more reassuring. We had a post earlier this week from a young woman whose parents all but required her to walk in an organised group, a post such as your might (hopefully) alieviate many of their concerns. Cheers

Don't worry, they are not there to protect you from terrorists, just there to put you back on the right path, make sure noone is dehydrated, has a broken limb, and to discourage the odd flasher from hanging aroind the bushes.

I have just left Santiago this morning, now in Negreira, I did notice a increased police presence, especially around the cathedral! I was also stopped by the guardia civil, while walking through some woodlands on a stage before entering Santiago! They pull up beside me and asked my name?

We have got the odd sello of the Guardia, they are not to keen on dishing them out but on some of the more remote routes you have to be a bit creative in finding a stamp with the location on it.

When I walked the Camino Frances in 2011, I didn't see any guarda civil. So in May/June 2015 on the Frances, I was surprised that I saw one vehicle almost every day. When my friend fell on the hill above Altapuerca, we ran into guarda civil on the downward side, who offered help. Because that was the time Denise disappeared, I thought the increase in their presence had to do with her and the concern for the pilgrims. Perhaps the continued increase of pilgrims on the Frances has led to an increase in the guarda civil patrols. In May 2017, I did not notice guarda civil on the Camino Ingles, but it was the less traveled way - so not surprising.

I always wave to them to show my appreciation. Mine you I am a little influenced by the fact that I taught many of their commanders English many years ago.
I always wave to the police where ever I walk and mostly the wafe back .

Wish you well, Peter .

I was also wondering how much of this story was literally true. It would worry me if it were, just on the simple fact that there are no majors in the Guardia Civil. The equivalent rank to major appears to be that of comandante, so I would find it unusual that someone would introduce themselves as anything but Comandante Jose (in this case). It puzzles me.

It could well have been lost in translation. For example, if the individual introduced himself as "Commandante Mejor Jose," the poster could easily have heard "Major Jose," in place of "Senior Commander Jose."

I, for one, do not pin the veracity of the story on this one fact.

This past year, while walking from Lisbon to Santiago (interior route from Porto), I did see several pairs of very athletic looking, tall, crew cut and clean shaven Spanish fellows walking, in step no less, on the Camino Portuguese after Tui. They were in plainclothes, and appeared to have all the requisite peregrino gear. However, they appeared far more physically fit and "squared away" as we would say over here, to have been civilians.

For my part, I pegged them as law enforcement officers or off-duty military personnel and exchanged the customarily pleasantries, without going further. However, just having them nearby made me feel as though someone in authority gets it.

The average pilgrim may not spend huge amounts of money on Camino. But, consider the volume of pilgrims on all routes. Consider that even the small amounts the typical pilgrim spends daily easily trickles down to local communities, strapped by the ailing Spanish economy. You can appreciate how someone in charge understands that any attack, criminal or terrorist in nature, regardless of the motivation, would severely hurt the economy across northwestern Spain. Even the appearance of the Camino not being rock-solid safe (which it is) would harm the local economy.

By spreading facts and truth, as best we can ascertain it in this forum, I believe that we contribute to increasing the sense of security for all pilgrims. The Camino IS very safe. If the Guardia Civil, National Police, or local law enforcement assign plain clothes personnel to hike sections of the Camino, so much the better.

I think it better if the majority of pilgrims not be aware that they are there. That is part of a global deterrent effect. If a potential bad actor cannot know if, when, where, or who is the Guardia Civil or Police officer(s), they are less likely to act badly.

I hope this helps.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It could well have been lost in translation. For example, if the individual introduced himself as "Commandante Mejor Jose," the poster could easily have heard "Major Jose," in place of "Senior Commander Jose."

If the conversation was in English it is also possible that the officer simply translated his rank title into its direct equivalent in comparable English-speaking police and military forces.

Also, very true. In either event, we can agree this "Jose" fellow was likely a GC officer. He acted appropriately.

His, and his colleagues contribution to peregrino safety are appreciated.

In the past three years, there has been an increase in the police presence on the Francese and, to a lesser degree, the del Norte. This was partly due to fairly frank discussions between the national pilgrim associations at their meeting in Santiago (was it 2014 or 2015?) and the Galician authorities, who passed on the stiff Canadian note (which was supported by APOC and the Korean pilgrims' group) to the national and provincial governments. Since then, I learned of uniformed provincial police patrols, some on horseback, on the Francese, and I have met and spoken with several (well, three) Guardia Civil constables assigned to responsibilities for pilgrim safety. They have told me that police all along the route have been clearly instructed to keep their eyes open and focussed on supporting pilgrims.

As well, this partly finds its origins in the repercussions from the Denise Thiem tragedy, where the Spanish authorities were surprised by the strength of interest from international media and representations at governmental levels (Senator John McCain apparently increased the adrenalin levels at higher levels with his calls). Spanish policing had its lackadaisical moments before then, but no longer. This is not only a matter of safeguarding the economy of northern Spain, which has been much strengthened by the Camino, but as we know from our encounters along the way, it is a matter of honour for Spaniards to support and assist pilgrims.

It all means that means that pilgrims can concentrate on, well, being pilgrims.

Here we go again... YOU are a native, or near near-native speaker of Spanish. I am not. However, I am trying to learn and improve, not easy at 64-years of age...

Let us not engage, once more, in a spat over language interpretation. You say "potato," and I say "potatoe." It is all the same in the end...
I was genuinely asking what it meant. I was at a loss.

Because it would have made no difference to the OP's big picture understanding if the person had said "Commandante Mejor Jose" or "Major Jose," in place of "Senior Commander Jose."

All the OP needed to hear was Guardia Civil, not the man's rank, and the story would have been the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Somewhere in the middle of the VdlP in March-April 2017, I was walking with another person when we came upon a Guardia vehicle and a couple of officers. They chatted a few minutes, explaining that their job was to get to know the pilgrim community, watch for any problems, and check the identity papers of some pilgrims - I understood that this was random and more for statistical purposes than anything else. They asked for our passports - mine was easily accessible but my companion had to start looking into his backpack, so they said - no, don't bother, one was enough. The fellow took my passport to his vehicle, did something on his computer, and brought it back to me with thanks. They were very polite and ready to help. Later in the day we learned that various other pilgrims had similar encounters at that spot.

Many times I have seen Guardia vehicles drive slowly along the roads, checking things out, always ready to stop if anyone has an issue.

Last edited:

Certainly on the first day of the Via de la Plata four years ago, when there had been reports of robberies at knife-point just out of Seville, there was a Guardia Civil 4x4 patrolling the stretch where these attacks had taken palce. I was very relieved because I was a woman walking alone.

When I was hitchhiking in Spain in my joven days, I once got picked up by a car of four Guardias Civiles. None of them looked over 20 years old. This was back in the Franco era and they wore those funny backwards-looking hats.I squeezed into the backseat between two of them and they all sang the whole time. One of them drummed his hands on his machine gun along with the music and, sitting next to him in the backseat, I didn't feel very relaxed. However they were all nice guys.

This comment has nothing to do with this thread, except for me using it as an excuse to tell this story, which is absolutely true.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I sometimes saw police three times in a morning patrolling the route in Basque Country on Norte.

Shopkeepers and ordinary citizens were also very protective and kind.

And drivers were enormously courteous, stopping and deliberately waiting while peregrinos crossed the road, and even waiting while I wobbled across the street. I had planned to cross after they left!

Even teens will try to speak English to you and point you in the right direction if you ask.

When I was hitchhiking in Spain in my joven days, I once got picked up by a car of four Guardias Civiles. None of them looked over 20 years old. This was back in the Franco era and they wore those funny backwards-looking hats...
Good story Jill, Scott had several run ins with the Guardi when hitch hiking back in the 70s, he said back then that they were best avoided, however time passes and they are now quiet focused on the welfare of pilgrims. An early poster is right, it's not just safety of the economy they are protecting, they take an earnest pride in ensuring pilgrims can walk safely across the ancient routes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The original point of this thread was to point out that there appears to be a very positive indication that the Guardia Civil and National Police are concentrating attention on the Camino routes.

Others have posted that they can verify that this is true from their experience.

Unfortunately, several members engaged in the discussion with personal attacks and arguments that took this thead into an area that will not be allowed on the forum.

Please be aware that any reoccurrence of this activity will result in the participants being suspended or banned from the forum.

The offending posts were removed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.