• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gudbrandsdalen July-Aug 2019

Purky

Intermittent Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Reality is frequently inaccurate
Although I am still a bit confused about the name of the pilgrims trail in Norway (is the correct nomenclature Olavsleden, Gudbrandsdalen or Gudbrandsdalsleden?), I am now committed to walking from Oslo to Trondheim in the summer of this year. Tickets are booked, guidebook is bought (a Dutch one, written by Ria Warmerdam, revised 2016 version) and relevant sites and KML file are located. Just a few more finishing touches concerning my gear, and then all systems are go.

I will be attempting to walk it in 19 days, because of budget, tight holiday planning and other time constraints. Since I know that I like long walking days and a bit of a challenge, I am cautiously optimistic about actually making it in that timeframe. I'll see how it will pan out, I can always adjust on the fly. I will bring a tent and some more camping gear for added comfort and practicality, because camping out a lot is the only way I can afford to spend almost three weeks in Norway. Hooray for their 'allemannsretten'!

Since the St:Olavsleden from Sundsvall to Trondheim kicked my butt last summer, I am spending more time planning and preparing. On the other hand, it is a good thing that I now have a better idea about what to expect, and I am very much looking forward to it. My wife won't be coming along this time, as we found out that we have different ideas and standards when it comes to walking a pilgrim path.

So it's on! A new camino to be enjoyed, definitely something to look forward to during this bleak and rainy winter we're having in Holland. Although the present weather here might be just right for training purposes: I now know that Norwegian weather is notoriously fickle...

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome back to Norway!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
How exciting -- I also live in The Netherlands and am planning to walk the same path at around the same time this summer - maybe we will bump into each other. (Also, it's a wonderful planning exercise - at least fantasising about escaping these grey and rainy days). Please keep us informed about how both the planning and walking go.

For similar reasons about budget and vacation time, I am thinking of splitting my walk into two, and doing part this year and part next. Because I'm not in great shape I would rather have at least 30 days to walk and that could get expensive.

All the best with the project!

How exciting -- I also live in The Netherlands and am planning to walk the same path at around the same time this summer - maybe we will bump into each other. (Also, it's a wonderful planning exercise - at least fantasising about escaping these grey and rainy days). Please keep us informed about how both the planning and walking go.

For similar reasons about budget and vacation time, I am thinking of splitting my walk into two, and doing part this year and part next. Because I'm not in great shape I would rather have at least 30 days to walk and that could get expensive.

All the best with the project!

It would be fantastic to meet in Norway; I'll keep an eye out for you! Splitting the Gudbrandsdalen path in two is probably a lot wiser than attempting to walk it in my time frame, but apart from time constraints and budget I have some other reasons for trying it.

Over time I have discovered that I like long walking days, so that helps, and I've had a couple of 'interesting' years that have left me with a lot of pent-up energy. I really feel like I need to bust a gut to find some release, and going all the way in 19 days might just do the trick. If I actually make it, that is. If I don't, there's always next summer.

I'm also considering writing a "Live from the camino" thread when the time comes, because I enjoy writing a little at the end of each day. It has also been some time since I've seen a day-by-day account of the St Olav´s Way to Trondheim on this forum, and I've had some requests for a little feedback already, so that would be two birds with one stone.

Enjoy your preparations and fantasising (as I'm doing), and who knows, down the road somewhere...

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back