• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guemes and Albergue Santa Cruz in Bezana

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
Guemes is an Albergue not to be missed. It is about 500 meters off piste. This Albergue watched over by Father Ernesto and a host of volunteers is an Albergue truly in the spirit of the Camino. The Albergue is donativo and you are served dinner and breakfast. I recommend this stop and that you donate as generously as you can. A true Camino gem.

Ultreya,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I also loved this albergue and am happy to hear Father Ernesto is still there and doing well.
We also were treated to a late lunch the day we arrived.
One of the sweet spots along the Norte!

Guemes is an Albergue not to be missed. It is about 500 meters off piste. This Albergue watched over by Father Ernesto and a host of volunteers is an Albergue truly in the spirit of the Camino. The Albergue is donativo and you are served dinner and breakfast. I recommend this stop and that you donate as generously as you can. A true Camino gem.

Ultreya,
Joe
Thanks Joe, i will keep a note of this alberge when i go to thhe Norte. Keep us updated on your journey.
Buen Camino,
Aidan

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks Joe, I am also taking note for when I walk Norte in September.
Buen Camino
Lesley

Hola
Indeed it is a very special albergue, or maybe much more a private home open for pilgrims.
Ernesto has an extensive library with books and records from his numerous travels all over the world.
Of all the albergues, Norte and Frances, it is the one albergue which separate itself.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Ultreya,
Joe
Agreed!!!!
The true spirit of not only the Camino but mankind lies here!!!
Beautiful place!!!!
7000 plus pilgrims were given a bed and dinner in 2013 there....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Agreed!!!!
The true spirit of not only the Camino but mankind lies here!!!
Beautiful place!!!!
7000 plus pilgrims were given a bed and dinner in 2013 there....

Ernesto and Guemes were the highlight of the Camino del Norte for me. Some say it is the best albergue of all the Caminos. Below is my email to friends after I spent the night in Guemes ...

Yesterday I was literally in the country in Guemes and had no WiFi connection. Fifty peregrinos were the special guests of Ernesto Bustio, a Catholic priest who has dedicated his recent life to hosting pilgrims in his magnificent Albergue La Cabaña del Abuelo Peuto. At 7PM we all gathered in the grand Sala de Los Caminos and Ernesto told us a story, for about one hour, in Spanish of course. Each day he makes a presentation of The Way and The Albergue to "increase knowledge and understanding of the experience." He considers The Way to be a Master Class in Life. He told us about recent urban sprawl (Nojo and Castro-Urdiales), about the environment and ecology, deforestation, and the building of the Camino. Northern Spain is a very important area for bird migration from Africa. This area used to have vast old growth forests that are now gone, replaced mostly by eucalyptus trees. He described the CdN as "a little hard with mountains, asphalt, rain, intersection with highways, hard to follow routes, few albergues, and real problems." But he thinks the biggest problem may be in our heads because we are too dependent on modern technology and often walk without thinking, just following arrows. This stifles our creative ability to find our way. I think he was describing the Way as a metaphor for modern life.

Then he told us the story of his family, "just the last 100 years." His grandparents had 15 children. "They didn't have TV or condoms." His mother was the youngest of 15. She had five children, four girls and Ernesto, also the youngest, born 75 years ago. In 1946 his family abandoned the house and moved to Catalonia (near Barcelona). In 1963 Ernesto completed his studies as a priest. His first parish assignment was in the Picos de Europa region. The pictures he showed were of very high green mountains with small walking trails up steep slopes. He worked with simple people, miners and farmers, who had "a wisdom not recognized by society in general." In 1979 he and four friends took a sabbatical year that became 27 months of what they called "el viaje de universidad de vida," the journey of the university of life, in which they traveled in a Land Rover to Spain, France, Africa and then Central and South America. This trip had three themes. Travel to learn about other cultures, hard physical labor on both land and sea, and capturing images to share with others. For his "doctorate thesis" he returned to his childhood home and began building an albergue, first for the town people and then for peregrinos. He became the local priest for Güemes. The current Albergue, expanded from the small hostel that was originally refurbished horse stables, became a "collective endeavor using recycled materials. It is not commercial nor is any organization involved. It operates completely on donotivos." Fourteen years ago, 200 people visited. In 2012 there were 7000 people from 70 countries that spent the night. Finally he noted that we may be going to Santiago physically but the real journey is spiritual and we will arrive with joy, just as he arrived at his current life station after his 27 month "sabbatical." And he noted that we will try to explain our journey to our friends, "but they will not understand unless they too walk." Needless to say, Ernesto is one of the kindest, most genuine people I have ever met. I'm sure others have the same experience when the meet the Dalai Lama. It was a special place and a special experience. As I once heard an actor say about teenagers experiencing a thought provoking play, "The story has been told. The lesson has been taught. Their lives have been changed forever."

In well over 100 days on the Caminos, Güemes is by far one of my favorites along with Grañon. Looking forward to being there again soon. For sure one not to be missed. Great share.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, I stayed there in 2009. The best garlic soup I have eaten and a really good vibe.

Albergue Santa Cruz in Santa Cruz de Bezana is also a family run donativo Albergue. Nieves opens her home to Pilgrims. It is another wonderful experience. She serves dinner and breakfast. There is a bar across the street with WIFI and a large Eroski store on the corner. She might even give you a foot massage^^. It is another oasis on the Camino. So be as generous as you can with your donation

Albergue Santa Cruz in Santa Cruz de Bezana is also a family run donativo Albergue. Nieves opens her home to Pilgrims. It is another wonderful experience. She serves dinner and breakfast. There is a bar across the street with WIFI and a large Eroski store on the corner. She might even give you a foot massage^^. It is another oasis on the Camino. So be as generous as you can with your donation
Hi, Joe,
Good to hear from you -- seems like things are going swimmingly! A lot of the places you've stayed were not in existence when I walked in 2006, but your description of Guemes brought back many happy memories. Keep in touch when you can, buen camino, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am currently at the albergue in Guemes. Actually, I have been here for three days! Yesterday morning I woke up with a swollen achilles tendon. Father Erneato saw my pain and told me to stay as long as I need. Tomorrow I will return to the camino, but I will miss this place dearly. The people, the philosophy, the love..all of it is real here.

Joe I will take your advice and stay in the Albergue santa cruz tomorrow!

Ultreya,
Joe

On my list for 7th May next

Fr. Ernesto, June 2014

Attachments

• 0236-DSCN0313.JPG
    0236-DSCN0313.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back