• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guesthouse in Pasajes De San Juan?

mari86

Time of past OR future Camino
camino del norte april/may 2016
Hi!

We are a group of 5 family and friends who are walking from April 28th- May 4th. My mom would like to book all the pensions/ hostels ahead of time, and my question is that we would like to stay one night somewhere between Irun and San Sebastian. We were planning on Passages De San Juan, but as far as I know there is only one albergue to stay at, and here it is not possible to book ahead. Does anyone know of any guesthouses in San Juan? Or other places to stay on the way to San Sebastian?

Our plan so far is:

Irun
Pasajes De San juan
San Sebastian
Orio
Getaria
then train back to Bordeux

I appreciate all your help :)

Best,
Mari

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just walked that route in late August, and as far as I know there is NOTHING else between Irun and San Sebastian. The albergue is in a church, 119 steps up from the main street, and there are 14 spaces, if I remember correctly. A beautiful little place, but good luck with booking anything there. And it will be interesting to see how your booking plans work out. There are sections of the Norte that have nothing for 40 km, or at least nothing one could book. At one point, there were two albergues on a very long stretch, one that was abandoned, and one closed for bed bug defumigation.

It's a beautiful and difficult route, at least for the first couple of weeks. But often there ARE hostals, monasteries, etc. that take reservations. I very much liked the Hostal Linares in Ribadeo, and they had peregrino rates, but that's not the area you are inquiring about at the moment. I'll keep checking this site to see if anyone else answers that there is an alternative to the church/albergue in Passai de San Juan (San Donabane)

Apparently there are rooms in San Juan-- I could not find them myself, but the hospitalero at the albergue knows and will give you the number.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Apparently there are rooms in San Juan-- I could not find them myself, but the hospitalero at the albergue knows and will give you the number.

It is true that there MAY be rooms, but until you get to the albergue and it is full, I couldn't find anything. And getting in touch with the albergue is nearly impossible. No one answers the phone, because it's a church, and of course everyone at the albergue is a volunteer. I had left some medicine there when I stayed, and it was only because the temporary worker there took my card and e-mailed me that I even knew where I had left it. Attempts to get the items returned to me took two months, though they did finally arrive. So the ability to communicate ahead of time for that particular place is (almost) non-existent. We had a great time, however, with music and some cooking, etc.

I would suspect that woodswoman is right-- but if one ends up there looking for somewhere to stay, there is the possibility of the tourism office (
(00 34) 943 341 556 Fax: (00 34) 943 341 777 tourism .pasaia @ oarsoaldea.net) or the generally reliable standby of asking in a restaurant, and there are 3 or 4 in Pasajes, if they have rooms--- if they do not, they refer you to someone who does. This sort of situation, rare on the north coast which is usually traveller-friendly, will be a source of frustration to those such as mari86's mother who wish to book ahead, but it usually works out. If she is bound to reserve ahead, there is a hostal, the Berri Versailles in Alto de Capuchinos 10, 20100 Errenteria, about 10km (?) away, to which one can always take a taxi from San Juan.

We stayed at the alburgue May 25, 2015 and it was one of the highlights of our Norte trip. We arrived about 3 in the afternoon, and they were already open and welcoming pilgrims, though official hour was not till 4 pm. It did not fill up that night. If it is full you have the option of taking a taxi into San Sebastian.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Passing through San Juan de Pasaje last month after a gruelling drizzly day from Irun, I had a good lunch of langoustines in the plaza by the wharf, and a waitress referred me to Casa Txurdin, a guesthouse run by a retired theatre worker, Sra Ione (tel 685 47 57 33). She has two rooms and charges 25 euro a person. The Casa is not far from the albergue, and I had an excellent breakfast on her stone porch overlooking the harbour. She is welcoming and hospitable, and I hope that only nice pilgrims will stay there.

I would suspect that woodswoman is right-- but if one ends up there looking for somewhere to stay, there is the possibility of the tourism office (
(00 34) 943 341 556 Fax: (00 34) 943 341 777 tourism .pasaia @ oarsoaldea.net) or the generally reliable standby of asking in a restaurant, and there are 3 or 4 in Pasajes, if they have rooms--- if they do not, they refer you to someone who does. This sort of situation, rare on the north coast which is usually traveller-friendly, will be a source of frustration to those such as mari86's mother who wish to book ahead, but it usually works out. If she is bound to reserve ahead, there is a hostal, the Berri Versailles in Alto de Capuchinos 10, 20100 Errenteria, about 10km (?) away, to which one can always take a taxi from San Juan.
I've reserved at Berri Versalles. It looks like it's not that far from the Camino?
berri versalles.jpg

Hi!

We are a group of 5 family and friends who are walking from April 28th- May 4th. My mom would like to book all the pensions/ hostels ahead of time, and my question is that we would like to stay one night somewhere between Irun and San Sebastian. We were planning on Passages De San Juan, but as far as I know there is only one albergue to stay at, and here it is not possible to book ahead. Does anyone know of any guesthouses in San Juan? Or other places to stay on the way to San Sebastian?

Our plan so far is:

Irun
Pasajes De San juan
San Sebastian
Orio
Getaria
then train back to Bordeux

I appreciate all your help :)

Best,
Mari
Dos Tios ,after the steps when you cross from Pasajes de San Juan staying on the Norte route fork left at the alternate divide . I stayed there last October great people true Camino spirit.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Passing through San Juan de Pasaje last month after a gruelling drizzly day from Irun, I had a good lunch of langoustines in the plaza by the wharf, and a waitress referred me to Casa Txurdin, a guesthouse run by a retired theatre worker, Sra Ione (tel 685 47 57 33). She has two rooms and charges 25 euro a person. The Casa is not far from the albergue, and I had an excellent breakfast on her stone porch overlooking the harbour. She is welcoming and hospitable, and I hope that only nice pilgrims will stay there.
I stayed there in July. I was able to make the reservation via WhatsApp, and it was a lovely place to stay after a somewhat rainy walk. I believe that she has three rooms available.

Dos Tios ,after the steps when you cross from Pasajes de San Juan staying on the Norte route fork left at the alternate divide . I stayed there last October great people true Camino spirit.
A good tip...do you have the location on Google maps and tel number please ...I greatly appreciate ...Thanks a lot.
Ray

There is now a newly-opened hotel, just seaward of the church, called Hotel Donibanea. It's not inexpensive (google tells me that tonight would cost me C$107) but seems comfortable and has good reviews. +34843931393

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back