• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guide App vs Guide Books

Camino Ben

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked part of the Camino Frances in '14 and volunteered at an Albergue
Hello Fellow Pilgrims:

I'm planning on waking the Camino Frances in July-August. And I was wondering if I might save some weight using one of the MANY apps in the Google Play store instead of carrying a physical guide book. Has anyone just used an app?

If so, which one and how was it?

Ben

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen Camino! You drop your phone on the sidewalk, forget to recharge, lose the miserable thing...then what? Take both, Brierley's book weighs all of 300 grams - you won't notice the difference.

I only used apps, websites and a Kindle guide on my phone. I didn't find one app that does it all, so I had three on my phone: Editorial Buen Camino, Wise Pligrim, and TrekRight. The websites that I used are http://santiago.forwalk.org/en/, https://godesalco.com/plan/frances, and https://www.gronze.com/.
If you want to look at a book there will be plenty of pilgrims around with either the Brierly guide, or another guidebook that you can look at. Or, if you decide to buy a book there are lots of stores along the Camino selling them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I took only the phone and apps on my first two CF, and never missed having the Brierley at home. Found all the info I needed, and more, on the apps. Heading out the door in three hours for my third CF and again, Brierley will be left on the shelf. All in all, it is a matter of personal choice.

I just used apps, websites, and e-books. My son, who was walking with me, brought the Brierley book (I had the maps only for my Kindle app). He lost it part way along and I can't say we missed it all that much.

Thanks all for your replies! Any more app recommendations?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
TrailSmart (www.trekopedia.com) - has good offline maps as well as database of points of interest, accommodation, trail info. This is my go-to app.

GaiaGPS - download the Camino trail and import it. Detailed maps are good for alternative routes when you don’t want to follow the yellow arrows...

“The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago “ available on Kindle books is great to read in the evening or as you visit a town or walk the Way to get a more in-depth appreciation of the history and art that you are seeing.

I still carry Brierley :)

Dave

I used the TrailSmart app for the Camino Francés and found its features (info on albergues and points of interest, trail descriptions etc.) quite useful.
Nevertheless, a few stages into my camino, I also bought Brierley's very lightweight maps-only guidebook and carried it in my pants for quick and hassle-free route reference on the go.
For a future camino, I would probably take a small printed guidebook (not just a maps version) and complement it with the TrailSmart app which has the advantage of being continuously updated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’ve tried both, with book only and with app only while walking the CF. Both were fine in the sense that it is close to impossible to get lost anyway! One of the realities I haven’t seen written of is the size... my eyes have to work pretty hard to see map details and phone number on my iPhone unless I zoom way in, which is then a hassle to move around the screen. Saving the weight was good when I went ‘app only’ but there is just something about holding a book in your hands and sharing it with others over a meal or afternoon beverage that is satisfying to me so back to the book it will be for me next go round.

For practical information such as distances between albergues, elevation profiles and accommodation I found the A4 print-outs given out free by the pilgrim office in SJPDP were all I needed the last time I walked the Camino Frances. Information on bars and albergues quickly goes out of date and printed guide books can be unreliable on that. I personally dislike the Brierley guides and would not carry one myself. The only real use that I have for a guidebook on the Frances is for background historical and cultural information. The best sources I have seen for that are the Gitlitz book and the route descriptions given in the Eroski website which are both available in electronic forms and so effectively weightless. Since I would not expect to be constantly referring to them during my walking day battery life is not really an issue. I do find the Gronze website is far better than Eroski in presenting accommodation choices though.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.